PDA

View Full Version : Star progressive sold here

abunaitoo
09-24-2019, 05:08 AM
I would have thought it would be worth more than it sold for.
$350+shipping
I have on just like it.
Same caliber.
Is that about the right price, or did the buyer get a great deal????

jdfoxinc
09-24-2019, 09:08 AM
Bought mine from a member for 3C notes.

dverna
09-24-2019, 09:55 AM
I sold mine a few years ago for about the same price.

They are a great machine but lack the versatility of a good modern progressive. I bought it originally because of nostalgia...and I suspect that is why most people get one. Mine sat idle for years after I acquired a Dillon 1050...the Dillon was easily twice as fast.

Once the price gets to $400, a 550 makes a lot more sense IMHO. Cheap and easy caliber conversions as well as parts and support if anything does wrong.

What surprises me is that RCBS Green Machines sell for about $200...and they are truly a piece of junk (I owned one). At least the Star works every time and you do not need to prime off the press.

rancher1913
09-24-2019, 01:54 PM
been wanting one in 38 for awhile and that was the top end of what I wanted to pay, had the extra funds so I jumped because I knew I'd kick myself later if I did not buy it. my wife says its my christmas present for this year.

salpal48
09-24-2019, 06:05 PM
The price of a star is relative. I have 7 stars from 45 acp to 32 S&W. sometimes not the fastest but still the Best. Most If not all the Other are always reinventing what was there best or new improved . Stars will only keep there selling value But Increase in value . All the rest will be nothing but Future scrap metal

Burnt Fingers
09-24-2019, 07:01 PM
The price of a star is relative. I have 7 stars from 45 acp to 32 S&W. sometimes not the fastest but still the Best. Most If not all the Other are always reinventing what was there best or new improved . Stars will only keep there selling value But Increase in value . All the rest will be nothing but Future scrap metal

In real dollars the Star has lost almost all value.

A 20 year old Dillon 650 can easily sell for 75% of the new value. That means you used it for 20 years and sold it for more than you paid.

Lloyd Smale
09-25-2019, 09:34 AM
the were a precision work of art. But more complicated then something like a square deal and finding parts or support for them is about impossible. I have one that was given to me by a poster on this forum. its set up in 38 special and I still use it. Would I recommend one to someone looking for a progressive press that has 400 bucks? NOPE. But for some old salt like me that likes old school its a kick to use once in a while.

salpal48
09-25-2019, 10:23 AM
with Star Machine Works back on the market, located in NJ. .There are an abundance of new produced parts available . All are made to original spec and material.
Recently Purchase a new powder slide and changeable Bushing for my 32 S&W machine

rbuck351
09-25-2019, 10:59 AM
I have one that was given to me in 38spl. It works well until something happens but is a pita to get set up. It will dump powder whether there is a case there or not. It's difficult to replace a case once it starts on the press if is has an issue. Don't let powder or cases run out and keep pulling the handle. I prefer loading on my 550b.

lightman
09-25-2019, 11:00 AM
I've always wanted one but have never made the commitment. Theres just something about that old world craftsmanship.

Green Frog
09-25-2019, 02:37 PM
Over the half century plus that they have been produced many upgrades and work around shave been developed. For those who have problems with the powder deliver system there is now a cut out system so you can stop the powder drop at will... you just need to remember to cut it back on! ;)

If you get it set up and work with it as designed (and improved) the Star is a precision piece of equipment that has never been beat.

Froggie

Burnt Fingers
09-26-2019, 12:09 PM
with Star Machine Works back on the market, located in NJ. .There are an abundance of new produced parts available . All are made to original spec and material.
Recently Purchase a new powder slide and changeable Bushing for my 32 S&W machine

Link?

salpal48
09-26-2019, 12:48 PM
For Those who are Un informed
starmachineworks.com
email Bruce
he is also a member here

red67
09-26-2019, 03:45 PM
For those of us that either weren't around or weren't paying attention, what year did the Star stop being produced and sold at retail and what was the last retail price?

jmorris
09-27-2019, 09:33 AM
A 20 year old Dillon 650 can easily sell for 75% of the new value. That means you used it for 20 years and sold it for more than you paid.

That’s what you get when you have lifetime free replacement of any part that gets worn or damaged. A 34 year old machine is just as good as a new one.

34 years ago a Square Deal cost $120, over the years, as they have made improvements, they have adapted them to it for free. That’s why it would easily sell for more than twice what it cost new after loading hundreds of thousands of rounds.

jmorris
09-27-2019, 09:35 AM
For those of us that either weren't around or weren't paying attention, what year did the Star stop being produced and sold at retail and what was the last retail price?

They were $710 March 1 1979.

https://www.starreloaders.com/

Lloyd Smale
09-27-2019, 09:42 AM
yup that's there Achilles heal.
I have one that was given to me in 38spl. It works well until something happens but is a pita to get set up. It will dump powder whether there is a case there or not. It's difficult to replace a case once it starts on the press if is has an issue. Don't let powder or cases run out and keep pulling the handle. I prefer loading on my 550b.

dannyd
09-27-2019, 09:51 AM
They were $710 March 1 1979.

https://www.starreloaders.com/

That would be about 2,634.79 today. So no they didn't hold their value, but they look cool.

Green Frog
09-27-2019, 01:26 PM
They had gotten up well over $1000 by the time the original company closed... they kept raising the prices to slow sales, but people kept buying them! For many old school reloaders, the attitude was that there were Star presses, and then there was everything else. No further explanation was necessary or even possible. If I were shooting my K-38 the way I used to, the Star Progressive I bought and set up would be getting used a bunch... and when I get a round tuit, it will get used a bunch! My Star has class and patience. ;)

Froggie

Devon
09-27-2019, 02:48 PM
Here is a price list from 1993.

salpal48
09-27-2019, 05:21 PM
Parts are Not a problem with a Star. Since they never seem to Break. There is No need to purchase any.

jmorris
09-27-2019, 07:37 PM
As long as you don’t want to ever add a caliber.?

starreloader
09-27-2019, 10:43 PM
I still have 6 of the STAR Loaders, the very last one was a special order bought Nov 1993, had it specially set up to load 32 S&W Long with a change over for 30 Carbine.. If I remember correctly the total cost was $1175.00.. My other STAR Loaders are set up for 40 S&W, 9mm, 38 Super and 45 Auto FMJ only.. The 45 FMJ has a 2 step carbide sizing die designed to provide tighter case neck tension for the FMJ bullet.. Have change over toolheads, shell plates and carbide dies for 38/357 and 45 Colt.. Salpal and I agree that the STARS were and still are the best made loadings presses.

For those looking for parts you can contact Bruce Williams and Dave Wilson, both are members on this site they will be able to help you..

CrystalShip
09-27-2019, 10:44 PM
Unlike most Other Loading machines "Star" has the same mystique and Draw similar to "Hollywood". On one hand there are the loaders who have them. On the other hand are The loaders who wish they had them. You make the choice where you want to be.
There is only one "Star"

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
09-28-2019, 01:05 AM
Minor thread hijack while we’re on the subject of Stars...

Does anyone have any prints for the toolheads or shell plates? I’d love to eventually make myself a few “standard” die tool heads and shellplates for various cartridges for my stars.

Alright, back to the thread topic...