PDA

View Full Version : S&W Model 29 vs. South Dakota Handgun Qualification Course

Hrfunk
09-23-2019, 06:30 AM
Here's one I think you all are going to like. It features the iconic Model 29, cast bullets; AND, you get to recite all those great Harry Callahan lines while you watch the video! I hope you enjoy it!

Howard

https://youtu.be/7AiM0a_k9XM

Petrol & Powder
09-23-2019, 06:57 AM
It takes some real work to get that 6" barrel to clear the holster during the draw !

Although that course didn't require any forced reloading, I couldn't help but notice you wear your speedloader pouches on your non-dominant side. That would be foreign to me with a DA revolver.

Two big thumbs up for using the "Skeeter" load !

Thanks for another great video.

Hrfunk
09-23-2019, 07:15 AM
Thank you! With the speedloaders on the non-dominant side, it's possible to perform your reload while maintaining a shooting grip with your strong hand. I actually practice reloading revolvers both ways (dominant and non-dominant) just to stay in practice with both methods.

Howard

BigAlofPa.
09-23-2019, 07:57 AM
Nice video. Educational for me too. I often wondered what PD'S do for qualifying. Thanks Al.

Hrfunk
09-23-2019, 08:51 AM
Nice video. Educational for me too. I often wondered what PD'S do for qualifying. Thanks Al.

You're welcome. I'm glad you liked it!

Howard

tazman
09-23-2019, 07:32 PM
A nice, straight forward test of competency with a handgun, or in this case, a revolver.
You did a good job hauling that big iron in and out of the holster.

Hrfunk
09-23-2019, 08:26 PM
Thank you!

Howard

Earlwb
09-23-2019, 09:36 PM
Nice video I liked it.
Way back in the old days, when I used to do police work. I carried a S&W 586 with a 6 inch barrel in .357 caliber. But that was when most everyone still carried revolvers on the police force. I didn't have any problem with the 6 inch barrel and drawing it out of the holster. Plus the police range qualification test was geared for revolvers anyway.

Silvercreek Farmer
09-23-2019, 09:44 PM
Good work. You can really tell the time and effort you put into your videos. It'd be interesting to see how your score changes, if at all, with Keith loads!

Guy La Pourqe
09-23-2019, 10:17 PM
HR?!?! Here on the boolit forum??? LOL, I should have known!

Been watching you on YooToob since back when you were a porker HR. When you dumped all the weight, you inspired me to do the same. I’m down 30 lbs. now and still have a ways to go... but I’m getting there...!

I’ll never be able to thank you enough for that. God bless Mr. Funk, and keep the vids coming.

Hrfunk
09-24-2019, 10:39 AM
Nice video I liked it.
Way back in the old days, when I used to do police work. I carried a S&W 586 with a 6 inch barrel in .357 caliber. But that was when most everyone still carried revolvers on the police force. I didn't have any problem with the 6 inch barrel and drawing it out of the holster. Plus the police range qualification test was geared for revolvers anyway.

Thank you! The 6" revolvers are a little easier to draw if you have a low-riding holster. Unfortunately for me, the one I was using in the video is a high-riding model. That makes it a little more challenging to get in and out.

Howard

Hrfunk
09-24-2019, 10:52 AM
Good work. You can really tell the time and effort you put into your videos. It'd be interesting to see how your score changes, if at all, with Keith loads!

Some "real" .44 Magnum loads may be coming in a future video. I baby the 29-2 I used in this one, but I have a mid-1990's 629 with the strengthening enhancements S&W added during that time. I may well use it for a future video. Keith loads. Hmmm...

Howard

Hrfunk
09-24-2019, 10:55 AM
HR?!?! Here on the boolit forum??? LOL, I should have known!

Been watching you on YooToob since back when you were a porker HR. When you dumped all the weight, you inspired me to do the same. I’m down 30 lbs. now and still have a ways to go... but I’m getting there...!

I’ll never be able to thank you enough for that. God bless Mr. Funk, and keep the vids coming.

Thank you and congratulations! Keep up the good work!

Howard

missionary5155
09-24-2019, 12:17 PM
Good morning
Thank you !!! That was a fun one to watch. We still carry revolvers for CC.
Mike in LLama Land

Walks
09-24-2019, 02:09 PM
Reminds me of going to the LAPD Harbor Pistol Range, back when the still let Civilians shot there.
Back in the 1980's you could still see Officer's Qualify with their S&W M15's. They shot a LOT better with the Revolvers then the Beretta 92's LAPD starting issuing in 1985.

Hrfunk
09-25-2019, 05:38 AM
Reminds me of going to the LAPD Harbor Pistol Range, back when the still let Civilians shot there.
Back in the 1980's you could still see Officer's Qualify with their S&W M15's. They shot a LOT better with the Revolvers then the Beretta 92's LAPD starting issuing in 1985.

I wish I had a nice Model 15 (or any Model 15 for that matter) to use in one of these videos!

Howard

tazman
09-25-2019, 10:59 AM
I wish I had a nice Model 15 (or any Model 15 for that matter) to use in one of these videos!

Howard

There should be someone near you that would loan you one for that purpose. They are a very common handgun and also very popular.

onelight
09-30-2019, 01:13 PM
Great gun , great load , and , great shooting .
Thanks for posting it.

Hrfunk
09-30-2019, 01:42 PM
Great gun , great load , and , great shooting .
Thanks for posting it.

You're welcome! Thanks for watching.

Howard

rintinglen
10-04-2019, 09:12 PM
No, I do not feel lucky. Those big hunks of lead seem awfully intimidating. Great shooting! I love those N-frames, and and was impressed with your skill with that one. I really enjoyed this course and though it will not score well on your protocol, I really like it from a range masters stand point. Easy to keep people safe while still providing a good test of basic marksman skills.

Hrfunk
10-05-2019, 10:34 PM
No, I do not feel lucky. Those big hunks of lead seem awfully intimidating. Great shooting! I love those N-frames, and and was impressed with your skill with that one. I really enjoyed this course and though it will not score well on your protocol, I really like it from a range masters stand point. Easy to keep people safe while still providing a good test of basic marksman skills.

Thank you! Taking a classic N-Frame out to shoot any of these courses is a lot of fun. I’m glad they’re enjoyable to watch as well!

Howard