PDA

View Full Version : A "perfect" wildcat??? cartridge (large game) for paper-patching......

bcp477
11-03-2008, 08:02 PM
I have been thinking about this idea for some time, with the possible intention of building a new rifle from a milsurp Mauser. The desired parameters are : Calibre : 35 (.358 dia.)....Bullet weight : around 250 grains (soft cast, paper-patched)....Velocity : around 2000 fps, with pressures not to exceed 45000 psi. I LIKE low-pressure loads, because they are easier on the equipment....and I happen to be an adherant to the concept that there is no need to overdo it (which is why I don't care for magnums, in any form). The intended use is an all-around hunting rifle.....one which would serve for basically any North American game, out to perhaps 200 - 250 yards, maximum. The primary critters to be hunted would be Elk, Mule deer and Whitetail deer. Of course, the cartridge would be a bit heavy for Whitetail deer....but perfect for Elk. The distance parameter is based on the fact that I have no desire to shoot further....and the fact that I like the challenge of stalking closer, rather than sniping the animal from long range, with a magnum rifle (or anti-tank gun, as I affectionately refer to them).

Of course, an obvious choice would be the 35 Whelen. While this is a great all around cartridge, I'd prefer something shorter.....that uses less powder. The 35 Whelen can certainly be loaded to the parameters I desire (they are well UNDER the potential of this cartridge)...however, the Whelen would be a bit of a waste for such modest requirements. I do want to keep this cartridge in the 8 x 57/ .30-06 "family" ....so that the base diameter, etc. will match one of the readily-available large-ring Mauser actions without modification.

The basis for the rifle would definitely be either an M48, 24/47, K98K, or Vz24 - one of those. I have been shooting the 8 x 57 exclusively....and handloading for it....for about 6 years. Since I know this cartridge backwards and forwards, my first thought was a wildcat, based on the 8 x 57, necked up to take .358 bullets (35 cal.)....and keeping the same overall case length and shoulder position. However, I do not want to have custom reamers made (too much expense and a violation of the K.I.S.S. principle, which I hold very dear). So, I have pretty much decided that the closest matches for my design parameters that already exist (and for which reamers are available) would be either the 35 Rem., .... or the .358 Win. I am aware of a plethora of European variations, based on the 8 x 57, such as the 9.3 x 57, etc...... but I know little about these. Certainly, one of these could be a potential possibility.

Anyway, I am interested in other's opinions and thoughts on this subject. Again, the intention is NOT to come up with a barn-burner....usable to shoot Alaskan Brown Bears at 1000 yds, etc......but only a relatively modest cartridge, which will be economical to load and shoot,with low wear and tear on the hardware, yet more effective for larger critters (such as Elk) than my 8 x 57 (M48). Something more in the direction of the .45-70, than in the direction of the 460 Weatherby Magnum....if you take my meaning. Obviously, good accuracy would be needed - that is a given. I believe that the .358 cal. would be a great choice for this concept....as would a target bullet weight of about 250 grains. (By the way, my M48 HATES bullets in the 220 - 240 grain range (I have tried them) ....so that is NOT really a possibility). 2000 fps or so, , with a 250 grain bullet, would provide all of the energy I could need, within the modest maximum distance I have specified. Soft cast, paper-patched bullets are a given - as I have so much fun with paper-patching for my M48 (and probably will never again shoot anything else).

Anyway, right now, this is a mental exercise...but one about which I am getting more interested by the day. What do you guys think ???

leftiye
11-03-2008, 08:16 PM
I disagree with you about the Whelen. It IS a 30-06 BTW, and in a .35 bore is no way anywhere near overbore. It will facilitate higher velocities at lower pressures because of the larger case capacities. The only problem I see is in ctg length if you long throat it for your PP boolits or size them to fit inside the bore - the mauser magazines aren't long enough.

docone31
11-03-2008, 08:23 PM
What about a 38/57?
Not quite a .40, larger than .358. Fits in the magazine well. Jacketeds are available and the action is strong enough.
Lots of molds for paper, the route I would go.
That is the direction I was going to go untill my wife said she wanted to shoot with me. I went with the .30s never figuiring she could handle the .308, and 30-06 like she does.
I had tossed around a .375 paper patched in a rimless cartridge. 38/55 is a good target cartridge, good close range hunter. A tad more, and I think that would shine real bright.

bcp477
11-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Leftiye,

I know what the 35 Whelen is (a .30-06, necked up to take .358" bullets). It is still a possibility....I haven't dismissed anything. However, I do think it a bit of a waste, as it would need to be underloaded quite a lot to get to the parameters I want. However, who knows ?.... it might end up being the best choice. Of course, you are correct in that higher velocities could be gotten with it, with low pressures. So, as I say, I haven't dismissed the idea. Overall cartridge length is a concern, as I do not want to have to modify the magazine box (again, the K.I.S.S. principle).

Docone31,

Hmmmm......38/57 you say ? I know nothing of this cartridge - I don't think I've ever heard of it. Interesting. I'll make a note of it and do some research. Thanks.

Hmmm, I just found some information on the 9 x 57, which sounds as if it is nearly spot-on to my requirements. However, 9mm bullets, depending on the exact diameter used, might be a problem.

9.3 x 57 sounds as if it is a real possibility, depending on the details....but the odd-size (for the US) bullet might be an issue. At least reamers are available for this one.

jhrosier
11-03-2008, 09:00 PM
bcp477,
I think that the .358 Winchester might be a good choice. It will push a jacketed bullet to a little over 2500 fps with a full load. A 2000fps cast boolit should work in the pressure range that you need.
I`ve only shot 205 gr boolits from my .358 BLR, but found the accuracy and low recoil suit me well.

Jack

docone31
11-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Well, you did say wildcat.
That would use the standard -06 cartridge and be blown out to .375. The .473 base should still be in proportion.
The 38/55 is actually .375 in diamter.
Why not rimless and .375 a little less potent than .375 H&H?
There was a time for me, when hot was good. Compressed loads of smokeless, huge craters in primers, amazing recoil and muzzle blast.
That was then.
Oopsie, I did not invent that one.
It is the .375 Whelen improved!
Still looks like a winner. A good paper patcher also, should fit directly in a mauser action. When the fingers get too stiff to wrap, jacketeds make it shine.
Now, on a good 98K action, what a rig!
No one can steal it. There is no commercial ammo ever made for it.
I can see the Lyman 57D reciever sight, and AUG front sight, perhaps even a spirit level.
Now, that is for an heavy barrel. The only way to go. Of course octagonal..........
I picture the original stock, with upper handguard, converted to heavy barrel, with field recoil pad.
Show up at the range with that one day, touch off a round, and see who notices.
Do it in paper.
Dang, if I get the chance I would love to make one! A good full bore target rifle. With black powder....... Hah!
Gads, my pants just got shorter. I love the idea.

shooter93
11-03-2008, 09:07 PM
It's rimmed which may be a problem for you but I have done quite a bit of work with 35 krag. Mine is on a Krag action so pressures matter. I've been shooting 250 grain cast and 225 grain Nosler ballistic tips. Both in the 2150-2250 fps range. This is a true full blown custom sporter . I did the testing over the last two years, and over 1,000 rounds. I experimented with two separate barrels and I'm more than satisfied. Now it's off to be finished, rust blued and checkered.The case has lots of neck which I like. It's capacity is slightly larger than a 358 Win. I like the round a lot and I'm going to have a PP mold made for it but I have no doubts it will shoot them as well.

docone31
11-03-2008, 09:23 PM
I like the Krag. It just kinda feels good.
The Mauser though, is like a Mack Truck. Not the new ones that crumple when started, the old 'B' Models.
Accesories galore, triggers, stocks, non military magazine wells and gates.
Even the stock only needs wood on the grip to flatten the wrist.
A semi straight walled .375. On paper....
Gosh, if I had a Krag, I would just leave it be. It is a good rifle.
I hope you post a photo when it is finished. I bet it will be a work of art!
I save photos of our finished rifles to use as screen savers. I have a nice double in front of me when the line is off.

Bullshop
11-03-2008, 10:08 PM
I didnt read through all this but just saw that you thought the 9x57 would fit your needs.
Thought I would mention that we have a VZ24 bored and chambered to 9x57 but with a .358" groove barrel.
You may pm me if interested.
BIC/BS

scb
11-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Seems a 358 Win. will do everything you're looking for without the expense of a wildcat. What most die companies are charging for wildcat dies is almost obscene.

waksupi
11-03-2008, 11:29 PM
I did convert a 8X57 VZ24 to .358 Win. Took quite a bit of fudging around with the follower, and feed rails, to get acceptable feed. As much as I love the .358W, I would suggest staying away from anything based on the .308 case in a conversion from 8X57, as they are the most notorious for feeding issues, even in modern rifles. I really like the idea of the .358X57 you mentioned. I can imagine doing some annealing, drilling, and polishing on some standard 8X57 dies to make something that would load the cartridge, without any special dies being ordered. This would depend on how good a machine shop you have on hand.

Bullshop
11-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Waksupi
We are loading our 9x57 with 35 whelen imp dies. We fireformed 8x57 brass. The Whelen dies size the head and half of the neck without touching the shoulder, shoots great. About feeding this one works great. I had a stash of old origonal Barns 250gn spt and they shoot and feed slick as you please.
BIC/BS

StrawHat
11-04-2008, 10:46 AM
There is a line of wildcats based on the 06 case and offered by Z Hat rifles. The three you might consider are the 358 Hawk, the 375 Hawk and the 411 Hawk.

I have no personal experience with them but a buddy has the 411 and likes it a lot. He describes it as his bolt action 405 WCF.

Here's a link

http://www.z-hat.com/HawkCartridges.htm

Refraktorius
11-04-2008, 04:56 PM
9.3x62mm was designed to be "large calibre in a Mauser 98 magazine". It is quite popular in Scandinavia for moose and boar.

And all the manufacturers make dies for it.

.... sounds like a fun project.

bcp477
11-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Interesting comments and suggestions, one and all. A big thank you to everyone - I am grateful for your help..... and will continue to be so, in future.

So far, I'd say that 9 x 57 ("9mm Mauser") is the leading contender, but only if bumped out to take .358" bullets, instead of the normal .355". I am very much still in the early stages of even considering the whole idea, so no definite decisions will be taken for some time. I am pleased to hear that a couple of you guys already have rifles in this calibre, even "bumped" to .358". I'll consider all that I've heard very carefully.

I am disappointed to hear that feeding problems are common with the .358 Win. That is/was my leading choice of cartridges (of those that can be considered standard production). The .358 Win. has a big advantage over the .35 Rem....so, probably that one will not be considered much further. Nevertheless, as I said, I have made no final decision.

I have pretty much decided, unless new information presents, that I don't want to go out to the range of .375" bullets. With the 8 x 57 case, that would leave only a relatively tiny shoulder - and I am afraid that headspace problems could be the result. With a rimmed case, it wouldn't matter, nor would it be an issue with a belted (magnum) case...but it could well be a real problem working from the 8 x 57 case. As much as I like the idea of a straight-walled (or almost straight-walled) case....and this does appeal to me a lot....I do want to keep the concept simple and avoid serious technical problems. Heck, while first playing with the idea, I considered a true straight-walled case, with blowing out the 8 x 57 as the model. That would give a potential bullet diameter of about .41". Except that, being that the 8 x 57 is a rimless case, there would be nothing (except for case taper) to headspace onto. So, that is not practical. In addition, with such a large bullet in a case having the volume of the 8 x 57, this would likely present difficulties in getting up to 2000 fps, in the first place. I fear that that would be a problem with bullets in the .375" range, too. Besides, there is a very good selection of 35-cal bullets available, which is another important point for me. I don't cast my own - and I probably won't be doing so in the future - so bullet availability is quite important.

Anyway, there is lots more to consider - and I am in no hurry. I will continue to research the matter - and ponder the possibilities. Thanks to all, again.

docone31
11-04-2008, 11:25 PM
There is nothing wrong with a .35. I used to use 180gn .357 sillywet jacketeds in my XP100. A 35 Whelen would be a fantastic load.
I wouldn't worry about the shoulder though.
Good luck with your project.
There are sure a lot of folks who have lots of input. I wish I had that acess when I built my two .243s. I also wish I had done paper patching also. Now I have these two rifles that are my backups rather than the primes they were built for.
Great luck on that rifle. I hope you post photos as you can.
I use them as my screen shot.

lar45
11-05-2008, 02:16 AM
It's not a wildcat, but the 9.3x57 is an impressive round.
There was one at the Linebaugh seminar this spring and it shot a solid brass bullet through 5 feet of wet newsprint.
It was a very mild recoiling rifle also.

The 338 Federal might be a nice choice also.

waksupi
11-05-2008, 02:17 AM
Keep in mind, if you can find a factory rifle already chambered in .243, .308, .260 Rem, these are chambered to use the parent .308 cartridge body, and make for an easy conversion to a .358 Win.

StrawHat
11-05-2008, 02:19 PM
I have pretty much decided, unless new information presents, that I don't want to go out to the range of .375" bullets. With the 8 x 57 case, that would leave only a relatively tiny shoulder - and I am afraid that headspace problems could be the result.

The 375 should give you no problem with the Mauser case. However, if you want to completely eliminate any chance of headspace problems do like Griffin & Howe did with the 400 Whelen and increase the diameter of the shoulder. In the rifles chambered by G&H and loaded with dies prepared by them there were no problems. Same with Z Hat.

Ackley had the same results with his "Improved" cartridges. Blown out shoulder to increase capacity and improve headspacing.

Good luck.

leftiye
11-05-2008, 03:48 PM
I think I'll rechamber my .38-55 to .375 H&H. Kick um butt! (maybe mine?)

Digital Dan
11-05-2008, 06:06 PM
I dunno where you'll wind up but a few thoughts for free:

If you're intent on the .35 bore look to a 300 grain bullet in a Whelen case. The .358 Win is one of my favorites but I would not go where you're going with it.

If you can get over the Mauser idea there's a lot easier ways to wind up on the right path. I'm thinking your working at cross purposes with the idea but that's just me. Single shots are a better platform for this project IMO.

bcp477
11-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Dan,

I certainly agree that, ultimately, a single shot rifle would be the best choice for this sort of project. However, there is really only one viable possibility on the market for this - the TC Encore. I have nothing against such a rifle at all...and I have wished for a single-shot for a long time. I don't like TC's prices, however. I've looked at them many times and have always been turned off by the prices, at least at every dealer with which I've had contact. The Ruger single shot I would even consider - as their prices on these are outrageous. The "Handi-Rifle", while an interesting item, is not, in my opinion, of high enough quality to make this a viable option. I've also considered one of those many times - and always shied away from them. So, one of the basic parameters for this project was that it would be based on a milsurp Mauser action (I know the Mausers, just like the 8 x 57 cartridge, backwards and forwards. Of course, turning a milsurp rifle into a "custom" sporter can certainly get expensive VERY quickly, but I can do much of the detail work myself (the only item I intended to farm out was to chamber, thread, cut and crown the barrel blank). I cannot logically eliminate the TC from consideration, though. Perhaps I could find a used Encore action or rifle for a good price.

Anyway, thanks for your input. Such a rifle based on the Encore is a very attractive idea......I'll have to give this much more thought.

Euan
11-06-2008, 04:03 AM
I use a 98 mauser in 9.5x57 ack imp. Chambered it with a 6mm ackley Improved & used a Dave Manson 375 neck & throater to cut the neck and throat. the mauser feeds ands chambers great. The rifle goes very well, Use mainly cast boolits from ww And also a lot of 20 to 1 paper patch boolts. We have had no complaints from any critters. I find it an excellent cast boolit hunting round

First pic is a loaded 9-5x57 Ack Imp, With a CBE 376-300 gc fn.
secon pic is a 3 shot group shot at 100yards. loaded with 40.3 grains VV N135 & CBE 376-300gc fn ww @1860fps.
Third pic: From left CBE 378-220gc; Lyman 375449gc; CBE 376-300gc; CBE 377-265 cut with Gas check 320grains, CBE 377-256 20to1 sized to 369 and paper patched; The 2 on right are from a CBE ajustable 369 mold and paper patched, They weigh 250 grains and 280grains.

StrawHat
11-06-2008, 04:27 PM
A Browning High Wall, Model 1885 or copy thereof would make into a good single shot.

Sharps and Rolling Blocks also come to mind for single shots.

Digital Dan
11-06-2008, 06:07 PM
BCP, I really wasn't thinking Encore when I said single shots. The Ruger #1 is and option of course but you might do better with a #3 if you find one laying around in a gun store. The Browning is viable is you don't mind the smell of....sushi or something like that. Good platform anyway.

Off on a stray tangent, the Marlin 1895 CB will take all the fun out of your project if you want shortcuts. It's not custom but they shoot the .45-70 PP very well. You could always rebarrel into a....uh.....358-70 wildcat. :coffee: Or something like that. About the same capacity as the -06 case. No joke about the rifle, they do very well with paper patch out of the box.

357Mag
11-06-2008, 08:57 PM
BPC -

Check your private messages, please....

.357Mag

Frank46
11-07-2008, 12:33 AM
Check out the 96 & 98 mausers at allains armory. These are swedish mausers that may need a little tlc but are in 9.3x57 or 9.3x62 caliber. Or you could rebarrel a 98 mauser to either 9.3x57 or 9.5x57. The 9.3's use .366 diameter bullets and the 9.5's use .375 diameter bullets. He grades bore condition conservatively and has pics as well. Now a 286 gr bullet at 2000fps is nothin to sneeze at. And should you want to paper patch you can have that as well. Hope this helps.Frank

nicholst55
11-07-2008, 01:25 AM
Seems like I read a thread about a .358X57 here a few months ago. The gent was using a shortened .35 Whelen sizer, IIRC. Honestly, to me it just seemed a bit redundant when Mausers already come in 8X57 and can easily be rebarreled to .35 Whelen - an 8mm will do most anything that a .35 will do, although the .35 does allow for significantly heavier bullets. But, that's just me.

RMulhern
11-08-2008, 10:56 PM
this one??

"Something more in the direction of the .45-70,"

:roll::roll::roll:

bcp477
11-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Wow !!! So many great suggestions.....I am making notes of it all. I've got a LOT to consider. Many thanks to all who took the time to reply !

As for the state of my considerations, at this point in time......
I have definitely decided that, if I do actually build such a rifle, I want to stay with a Mauser-based action, basing my efforts around the 8 x 57, as the (conceptual) starting point. So, I will stick with the head diameter, etc. of the 8 x 57. This will simplify matters a good deal, as I know these actions very well... and I can start with a milsurp action. So, that leaves out things like the .45-70, etc.... interesting as it would be. In other words, I have decided to stay with my original concept, as described in my first post. Cost issues, familiarity with the design, the fact that I simply LIKE the Mauser action so much....all are factors. Anyway, so the parameters are set, as far as I'm concerned. Now the details.

As for feeding issues with whatever cartridge I eventually might choose, I am not stuck on the concept of a magazine-fed repeater for such a rifle....and I've always liked single-shots anyway, so I might well end up with a single-shot bolt action. That's OK, if it happens that way - I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I am intrigued with the idea of the .375 dia. bullet...and I'm glad that it is not actually unworkable, based on the 8 x 57, 30-06, or .308 case (which is what I originally thought). So, that will stay in my considerations. I am still of the opinion that something more like a 35 cal (.358 dia. size) would be the better compromise, but that is not final. I am concerned about not getting enough performance out of the really heavy bullets that would be SOP with the .375 (that such heavy bullets would be TOO heavy for the cartridge). I intended to design this animal around bullets of about 250 grains....and I think that I will continue to lean in that direction (just LEAN, for now). Certainly a 300 grain class bullet at something like 1600 fps would pack a useful punch....let alone a 400 grain class one, at 1200 or 1300 fps.

As I said, I have a lot to consider....and this thing may not happen at all. But, right now, I am leaning toward something like 9 x 57 (bumped out to .358"), 9.3 x 57, 9.5 x 57 (bumped to .375), or perhaps the .358 Win. I am even still thinking a bit about the 35 Remington - but that cartridge really is under-powered for my specifications (and 200 grain bullets are better for this one - a 250 grainer would probably not be a good choice). I can use 200 grain bullets in my 8 x 57 as is, so the 35 Rem. should probably be ditched, as not worth the effort.

Well, I've mused enough here. Again, thanks for all of the replies - I am considering everything carefully.

longbow
11-09-2008, 04:45 PM
A couple of late comments.

If you can find an 8 x 57 rimmed Siamese Mauser action you can quite easily have a bolt action .45-70. I had one built about 30 years ago and it was an excellent performer. Of course a standard '98 Mauser action can be used for .458 x 2" or about any other chambering you feel like anyway.

Also, if you have no aversion the the Lee Enfield action, they are readily available and can be converted quite easily to 444 Marlin or .458 x 2" as well as any wildcats based on the .303 British or .30-40 Krag.

You seem to be leaning heavily towards 9 x 57 but have you checked out PP boolit availability? The thickness of paper can change finished boolit diameter by several thou but since you don't cast, you are limited to available PP or grease groove boolits that can be sized to suit. Maybe not a problem but...

If you do go 9 x 57 why would you want a 0.358" barrel? That would, make it a wildcat so it wouldn't shoot factory ammo. There is a better selection of 0.358" "J" bullets but if you are shooting PP that shouldn't be an issue. Just curious.

RMulhern
11-09-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm seriously thinking of necking my thermos jug down to a phonograph needle! It should be almost a nanosecond in velocity!!:roll::drinks:[smilie=1::mrgreen:

Bullshop
11-09-2008, 05:17 PM
FPMIII
Its already been done. A problem developed in re-charging cases. The powder had to be put in through the flash hole.
BIC/BS

Nrut
11-09-2008, 06:34 PM
As per one of Larry Gibson post:
1.. .358 barrel, 8X57 chamber reamer (.358 pilot),
2.. .35 Whelen neck and throat reamer...
3.. Use shortened .35 Whelen dies...
I would make up 3 loaded rounds and have the .35 Whelen neck/throater reamer ground to fit your loaded round measurements....
What you end up with is a Long Necked .358 X 57 (should be 35X60) that should fed nicely through your Mauser action....You may not need or want a long neck with PP boolits , I don't know...But for GG boolits I really like the long neck on the Whelen...

Like others have said alignment and support of boolit with bore through out the firing is key, and that includes the part of the boolit that is in the case neck as the neck releases the boolit during firing...

badgeredd
11-09-2008, 07:37 PM
OK...this idea intrigues me. I am a 35 fan through and through. I have an 8x57 that has a poor bore so I have been thinking on and off about what I could do with it. I happened on this thread today and I came up with a "new" wildcat.[smilie=1:

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee338/badgeredd/Pictures-2.jpg

The cartridges are from the left:
35/30-30
356 Winchester
8X57 Mauser
My wildcat call it a 35X60 (it is 2.365" long)
and
35 Whelen.

Thinking about why I absolutely love the 35/30-30 I decided the 8x57 simply necked up wouldn't have a very long neck, so I ran a 30-06 through a 8x57 sizing die to push the shoulder down to the same place as the 8X57. Next I ran the shell into a 35 Whelen sizer to expand the neck out to 35 caliber. Next I shortened the neck to about .450 long. I like it!!!!! :drinks: It should be the cat's meow in an old Mauser which is what started this thread.

After having Jesse Ocumpaugh bore and rifle the 35/30-30 I realize that a good smilth can cut the neck to the length one wants without needing a special reamer. The only thing left would be a set of loading dies which I believe could be made from either 8x57 or 35 Whelen dies. Crazy thoughts are now I have to get this one built too!

What do you guys think?

Edd

Bullshop
11-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Nrut
No need for any special dies to load a 35x57. I am loading it with a 35 Whelen die with total satisfaction. It wont size the entire neck or set the sholder back but then it dosnt need to.
BIC/BS

badgeredd
11-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Nrut,

I got so involved in my idea that I didn't notice your post before I posted mine. Do you think the picture above is pretty close to what you describe? I hadn't heard of the cartridge you mentioned.

Bullshop,

Do you see any advantage to the longer neck as shown in the above picture?

Edd

Nrut
11-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Nrut
No need for any special dies to load a 35x57. I am loading it with a 35 Whelen die with total satisfaction. It wont size the entire neck or set the sholder back but then it dosnt need to.
BIC/BS
Dan..
The way I understand what Larry was getting at is that you would end up with a case body of the 8X57 (1.933" long) and a neck the same length as the .35 Whelen (.462" long) for a OAL length of 2.395" or 60mm like what badgerred is talking about ...Is that what you have?
I have a little Brno 22H in 7X57 that has a very rough bore...If there is enough meat on the barrel I should have it re-bored to a 35X 2.395" /60mm...I shouldn't have use the term "35X57" in my post above ....

Nrut
11-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Nrut,

I got so involved in my idea that I didn't notice your post before I posted mine. Do you think the picture above is pretty close to what you describe? I hadn't heard of the cartridge you mentioned.

Edd

Edd...That is exactly what I'am talking about..Good work!:-D

Bullshop
11-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Yup you bet I do like the longer neck better. A neck long enough to keep all the bearing surface inside without having the gas check pushed through inside is about right.
My rifle is likely one that was rebored after the war. I think non military folks were not allowed to have military caliber chamberings just after the war. My rifle has the origonal stepped barrel bored out. The puzzler is that when slugged I expected it to mic at .356" but to my surprise and pleasure it is .358". I had a box of old mixed .358" 250gn bullets to be used up and the rifle shoots splendidly. After load development I still have about a box and a half of loaded rounds with 250gn Barns origonals that Jr. hopes to use on caribou, SOON.
BIC/BS

bcp477
11-10-2008, 07:59 PM
VERY interesting !!!....and yes, intriguing ! I love the K.I.S.S. aspects of this idea, as well. Thanks guys !

dogtrainer12
11-18-2008, 09:30 PM
As others have mentioned you will have to size down .358" bullets in order to paper patch then back to .358" diameter. It would be easyer to paper patch .358" bullets to .365" or .366" diameter.

I have patched .358" to .366" diameter for my CZ 550 in 9.3 x 62 successfully with 230 grain wadcutters; with these loads, at 50 yards, I can overlap four bullets forming nice clovers. On the other hand, you will not be able to shoot .358" bullets (jacketed or cast) accurately in a 9.3mm bore.

Bullshop
11-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Not a problem at all there dogtrainer12. When in the mood to patch some boolits for a 35 bore .358" groove I just simply use a 34 cal mold. You know a mold for the 348 win.
There are many combinations of calibers that can do likewise.
25 to 26, 27 to 28, 30 to 32, 32 to 33, 33 to 34, 34 to 35, 35 to 36, 36 to 37,
and well you get the idea.
BIC/BS