PDA

View Full Version : Sight question for you guys

catkiller45
11-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I am looking for new sights for my 50-70 rolling black NAVY ARMS....i have heard the tang is the same as a PEDERSOLI.....Does anyone know if this is true or not...And i would like a globe sight for the front as well....Is there any out there for sale...Thanks for your help....I very seldom shoot my modern rifles any more...I deer hunt with my sharps 45-70 and the 45-120.....Thanks again men..John

NickSS
11-04-2008, 06:03 AM
Measure the hole spacing in the tang. My Pedersolli rolling block actually has two sets of holes one is spaced the same as the sharps and the other is 1.5 inches center to center. The rifle has a pedersolli sharps sight on it now but I also have mounted a cheap Italian tang sight with a 1.5 inch hole spacing. The older navy arms rolling blocks I have seen all have tangs drilled for 1.5 inch spacing the newer ones have wider spacing to take the sharps sights. None of them I have seen have the original Remington tang sight hole spacing. I had to elongate one hole in a sharps sight base to get it to work on my original Remington target rifle.

Boz330
11-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Track of the Wolf has some vernier sights for the rollers, from $50 up. You should be able to mount whatever you have. I bought a cheap one for a Swede 8MM for hunting, works great.

Bob

StrawHat
11-04-2008, 10:48 AM
The Navy Arms rolling blocks were made by Pedersoli, at least mine were. I bought them in the mid 70's.

When I get home for the weekend, I will measure the spacing.

montana_charlie
11-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Anybody who makes sights will know what spacing you need...for any production rifle.
Pick the sight you like, then contact the provider. He will fix you up.
CM

John Boy
11-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Pick the sight you like, then contact the provider. He will fix you up.
Killer, while you are on the phone with the vendor talking about the sight you want ... MAKE SURE you have measured the length and thread size of the tang screw on your rifle. Then ask what the length and thread size is on the sight you want.

Too many times the tang screw that comes with the sight will be too short because of the extra length needed for the base plate

Been there and several orders from Brownell's!

JSnover
11-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Buffalo Arms probably has everything you need. Lee Shaver is making tang sights at a reasonable price. His website had some problems last time I tried it but I was able to get a good phone number. egunsmith.com

catkiller45
11-08-2008, 11:06 AM
getting sights from Lee Shaver....Thanks