PDA

View Full Version : I'm torn hunt and eat well or surgery to be normal again

RU shooter
09-21-2019, 07:59 AM
As a back story about this , in June I had to have emergency surgery due to a ruptured lower intestine had to cut me open and take 3" of it out I was in hospital for 21 days and home bound for another month . Things are now somewhat normal now imback to work but I have an Ostomy bag hangin off my side so normal as it can be . Doc said things are looking good and can reconnect my plumbing sometime mid November which is about the same time hunting is in full swing also one of the best eating holidays and I know I'll be on a soft food diet for a while so no yummy turkey for me ! Sooooooo I have a choice to make . Deal with having this ostomy bag and all the bad things that go with it and go hunt and eat good or get the reversal surgery at the earliest date I can and be whole and normal again after recovery and a few weeks off work. I really like hunting and eating but I really hate dealing with this thing hanging off my side . What to do what to do???

Petrol & Powder
09-21-2019, 08:07 AM
Get well FIRST. There will be many more fall seasons in your future as long as you live to see more fall seasons in your future.

Wayne Smith
09-21-2019, 08:12 AM
Amen to Petrol and Powder. Thanksgiving comes every year, as does hunting season. First opportunity to get rid of the bag is just that - and only you can determine if hunting with an ostomy bag is something you even want to consider!

45workhorse
09-21-2019, 08:15 AM
What Petrol & Powder said!!!!!

Shepherd2
09-21-2019, 08:21 AM
It wouldn't be a hard choice for me. I'd take Petrol and Powders advice.

owejia
09-21-2019, 08:27 AM
Self preservation comes first, then hunting.

Trophy Tom
09-21-2019, 09:13 AM
I would opt for the surgery. You want do absolutely nothing that would that could complicate getting reconnected. You do not want that bag permanently.
Just my thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wis Tom
09-21-2019, 09:20 AM
You must really enjoy hunting. I enjoy it too, and turkey dinner, for Thanksgiving, is my favorite, but your health, for the rest of your life, has to come first. Just my take.

woody1
09-21-2019, 09:54 AM
I know what I'd do. What they said! Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery.

DougGuy
09-21-2019, 09:57 AM
Get it fixed you can always gain revenge on a missed meal or two!

skeettx
09-21-2019, 09:59 AM
Good question
Get yourself fixed !

Smoke4320
09-21-2019, 10:01 AM
You can always have Thanksgiving in Feb/March or whenever you get better kind of a calibration of things to come

GhostHawk
09-21-2019, 10:20 AM
I'd be tempted to ask the doc to reschedule to very early december. Get a little hunting in and enjoy thanksgiving.

But the right answer is get yourself fixed up good and proper and heal. There will be other years with Gods Grace.

bob208
09-21-2019, 10:38 AM
get whole again. if you live close enough I will lend you a muzzleloader for the early season.

redhawk0
09-21-2019, 10:43 AM
Well....I'm a PA hunter as well....I haven't lived there for 35 years...but I still have family and friends that I hunt with every year.

OK....that said...I personally would forgo one season to have the bag removed and time to heal. I can hardly imagine the Dr's wanting you to hike and possibly drag a deer with that bag attached. It could be very bad if there is a rupture and there is that potential for possible death if you aren't found in time in the woods. (not trying to be morbid...just realistic)

Give it a season off...heal up...and start hiking in the Spring as a rehab for next Fall.

redhawk

bikerbeans
09-21-2019, 10:45 AM
RU,

I am in the same boat. I currently have a tunneled cath in my chest to allow access for dialysis. I need a AV fistula created in my left arm for a permanent dialysis access. Problem is if I have to keep the tunneled cath for 2 months while the fistula matures. During this 2 month period i will not be able to shoot a firearm. I have decided to wait until after deer season for the fistula. My wife (an RN) is not happy with my decision.

BB

centershot
09-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Get well FIRST. There will be many more fall seasons in your future as long as you live to see more fall seasons in your future.

This! As an R.N. I can't stress this strongly enough, put your well-being first! And yes, I have had to walk in those shoes...........

sparky45
09-21-2019, 11:05 AM
As a Anesthesiologist of 35 years I would ask you one question: Just how fond of that bag are you? I had a Colectomy a few years back and I was lucky, no Colostomy; I told the Surgeon to do everything in his abilities NOT to leave me "hanging", so to speak. Short answer, get the Ostomy reversed at your earliest opportunity.

white eagle
09-21-2019, 11:08 AM
there are other seasons
if it were me I would get in the best
health and live to hunt another time

Der Gebirgsjager
09-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Go with the reversal, and shoot for next year's hunting season.

jdfoxinc
09-21-2019, 11:33 AM
I had my colostomy reversed as quickly as possible. As an RN I did a lot of post OP colostomy teaching. I thought I was helping my patients deal with the ostomy. After winding up with on myself I realised I was just teaching the mechanics, not the emotional.

RU shooter
09-21-2019, 12:05 PM
I had my colostomy reversed as quickly as possible. As an RN I did a lot of post OP colostomy teaching. I thought I was helping my patients deal with the ostomy. After winding up with on myself I realised I was just teaching the mechanics, not the emotional.
If I may ask how long is the rehab after the reversal ? As the doc explained to me the actual operation is fairly simple (I have a loop stoma) it's the change of diet again that got me worried I lost almost 30 lb in two months and a lot of muscle mass . Been eating very well now but the last thing I want is jello and oatmeal for my diet

dangitgriff
09-21-2019, 04:03 PM
What Petrol & Powder said!!!!!

Ditto.

dverna
09-21-2019, 04:09 PM
It would be easier for me...I have no fondness for turkey.

Hunting is fun but I do not hunt to eat. Far less expensive for me to buy food than harvest deer. Local store has pork loins for $.99/lb

At my deer camp, I would still be welcomed and would wind up being Camp Bitch. Cook a few meals, hang with the guys, have a bunch of laughs,...etc etc.

bedbugbilly
09-21-2019, 06:44 PM
Your health comes first . . . there will be more hunting seasons to come.

lightman
09-21-2019, 07:03 PM
No contest! Take care of yourself.

JimB..
09-21-2019, 07:16 PM
All I’ll say is if it goes bad and you die in the woods know that you will forever be known as a Darwin award winner.

SciFiJim
09-21-2019, 08:49 PM
Turkey and fixins don't have to be on any certain day. Get better first and then have a true Thanksgiving for your returned health! The hunting will always roll around again in time. Your health comes first.

winelover
09-22-2019, 06:38 AM
I passed on one firearms hunting season, when I had my first knee replacement. Did get some of the early archery season in. First year, in a long time, I didn't get deer. Glad I had the surgery. Worked out so well, I had the other done four months later. By next season, I was well into full recovery. My knees were so bad, that I was concerned about falling getting into my tree stands.

Get'er done, you won't regret it.............and good luck.

Winelover

Chihuahua Floyd
09-22-2019, 08:21 AM
I've missed three seasons due to recovery, two for broken right foot and one for rotator cuff repairs. Did not miss Thanksgiving, just hunting season. Get fixed, live long and hung much more later.
CF

RU shooter
09-22-2019, 09:42 AM
Thanks all for guidance and support I'll sit this years rifle season out , I just looked over the Pa seasons and looks like I'll be able to do some archery with the cross bow and early muzzleloader seasons . My brother lives real close to were I hunt 200 yds away so I'll have some support if I need it . Still a bitter pill to swallow this will be the first time I miss a rifle season but my wife and the rest of you all are right there will be next year.

Tim

Three44s
09-22-2019, 09:55 AM
You made the right decision to put the rest of your life first, it is a no brainer!

Three44s

lightman
09-22-2019, 10:12 AM
I think you made a smart but difficult decision. Good Luck in the early season and with your surgery.

jdfoxinc
09-22-2019, 10:56 AM
Mine was my colon. I don't remember the post OP for an illiostomy.

Smoke4320
09-22-2019, 12:36 PM
Congrats on the right decision at least in my mind

jsizemore
09-22-2019, 03:14 PM
I didn't know they made camo ostomy bags.

RU shooter
09-22-2019, 03:51 PM
I didn't know they made camo ostomy bags.
Haha it's gray now but rattle can and a few leaves I can camo anything . Thanks for the chuckle I've learned through this entire that a little bit of joking even at yourself is good medicine ! Plus I've saved a bunch on TP in the last few months ! Lol

lightman
09-22-2019, 07:25 PM
LOL! Keep up the good attitude! We're with you, as much as strangers can be!

jsizemore
09-22-2019, 08:14 PM
Haha it's gray now but rattle can and a few leaves I can camo anything . Thanks for the chuckle I've learned through this entire that a little bit of joking even at yourself is good medicine ! Plus I've saved a bunch on TP in the last few months ! Lol

Your still getting around on your hind legs. You got most of it beat. There's a whole bunch to be happy about!

Geezer in NH
09-24-2019, 10:15 AM
Ditto.
Double ditto

Barman54
09-28-2019, 07:52 PM
Taking care of your self is your the #1 priority.

There will be other Hunts

Barman54

Out