PDA

View Full Version : Grilled Backstrap

wire nut
11-03-2008, 07:10 PM
I have been trying to find ways to get my family to eat venison. I found this recipe doing a google search.
Slice the backstrap about 1/2 in. thick. Marinate overnite in apple juice. The next morning remove from apple juice and marinate 8 hrs or so in your favorite barbrecue sauce. Roll the pieces of backstrap in bacon and secure the bacon with tooth picks. grill to desired doneness. My family had this eat before any other food was put on the table. All my family wants to know when I am going to fix more. This is the best recipe that I have tried. Wire nut

Four Fingers of Death
11-03-2008, 07:19 PM
I don't worry what people eat, I just serve it up. I'll eat it for brekky if they don't eat it. :)

Bit different these days though. At the risk of sounding like an old fart, if Mum put it on the table, you thanked her, said Grace and ate it.

wire nut
11-03-2008, 07:44 PM
It was the same way when I was growing up. I eat what my mother put on the table or I went hungry. My kids think it must be from a can or the grocery freezer or they can't eat it. You should see them when I have pickled pigs feet.

gon2shoot
11-03-2008, 08:12 PM
I always loved elk liver, but the kids would run backwards when I carried it in.
One night I cut it in strips, breaded it, and cooked it like "steak fingers". They ate it as fast as I could cook it.
I miss the days when the kids would'nt eat up all the liver :(

kodiak1
11-03-2008, 10:36 PM
4fingermick and if anyone asked how was it? It was always good.

Ken.

fourarmed
11-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Here's one I've posted before. I butterfly the loin chops.

Blackened Venison

Venison loin chops or round steak
Butter (a quarter-stick at minimum)
Blackening spice (3 parts paprika, 1 part each onion powder,
garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper, cumin, thyme)

Preheat oven to 180. Put a heavy iron skillet or griddle on a propane burner (OUTDOORS! THIS SMOKES!) and turn the fire all they way up. Melt the butter on a platter in the micro-wave, and dredge the chops in it. Shake seasoning on one side of 2 or 3 chops and throw them in the skillet after its surface has gotten hot enough to turn from black to gray. After 30 seconds to a minute (depending on chop thickness) season the top sides and turn. Give them the same on that side, and return them to the platter. Continue until all have been blackened, then rest them in the oven for about a half hour. They will be pink and juicy on the inside and the remaining butter on the platter will combine with the meat juices to produce the greatest stuff you ever dipped bread into.

dale2242
11-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Roll them buck steaks in flour, salt and pepper, and fry in bacon fat. YUMMY.---dale

wire nut
11-05-2008, 09:12 PM
My wife and I used to eat venison all the time but the last few years it just taste different. I discovered why this past weekend. I used hog lard instead on canola oil. What a difference that made. Asked the little wife and yes she used to use fat instead of oil. I know what the steaks will be fried in from now on.

gtim88
11-08-2008, 09:22 AM
I have a friend from south Louisiana that swears by this. I havn't tried it, but it sounds good.

take a 10 or 12 inch section of loin, using a long knife, make several holes lengthwise through the center of the loin. stuff yhis hole with some fatty pork link sausage, marinate in your favorite marinade overnite, wrap loin with bacon, cook on grill low heat for a couple hours, or to your liking.

exile
11-08-2008, 10:22 AM
My father served in the navy for six months at the end of WW II. (He turned 18, joined up and then the war ended). Consequently, we ate creamed chipped beef on toast at least once a month. My sisters hated it, but I liked it. The only time my father said we did not have to eat something was when my mother cooked liver and onions. That time it did not turn out right. I guess my point is, yes, if my mother cooked it, we gave thanks and ate it. I think not being a picky eater makes life more enjoyable.

Even though I grew up in the city, my father and my wife both grew up on a farm. One thing they have in common is they both hate to waste food.

Usually the way we eat venison is ground up and put in mexican food with lots of chili powder. People give it to us ground, so that is the way we eat it. My favorite though was smoked with hickory chips. My roommate used to shoot deer and smoke it. I always got in trouble for eating more than he thought I should. Oh well, he got my 1948 vintage Winchester model 70 in 30-06 in a moment of weakness, so I guess we are even.

Exile

Lloyd Smale
11-22-2008, 07:43 PM
@#%$ on a shingle!!! I still eat it often. Its probably my favorite breakfast.
My father served in the navy for six months at the end of WW II. (He turned 18, joined up and then the war ended). Consequently, we ate creamed chipped beef on toast at least once a month. My sisters hated it, but I liked it. The only time my father said we did not have to eat something was when my mother cooked liver and onions. That time it did not turn out right. I guess my point is, yes, if my mother cooked it, we gave thanks and ate it. I think not being a picky eater makes life more enjoyable.

Even though I grew up in the city, my father and my wife both grew up on a farm. One thing they have in common is they both hate to waste food.

Usually the way we eat venison is ground up and put in mexican food with lots of chili powder. People give it to us ground, so that is the way we eat it. My favorite though was smoked with hickory chips. My roommate used to shoot deer and smoke it. I always got in trouble for eating more than he thought I should. Oh well, he got my 1948 vintage Winchester model 70 in 30-06 in a moment of weakness, so I guess we are even.

Exile

Russell James
11-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Amen to that 4 fingermick!
Grew up in Traralgon Vic eating rabbit and quail and duck and loved it!