PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good 45ACP and 9mm boolit mold

milsurpcollector1970
12-11-2005, 05:49 PM
I use a Lee Tumble lube 240gr truncated cone bullet rt now. Is there anything better?

I am going to start reloading for a new FN Hi Power in 9mm. I perfer the tl bullets because I am lazy but I want something accurate.

StarMetal
12-11-2005, 06:02 PM
We just did this for 9mm. Go to the main heading Cast Boolit, click that, there will be a list of titles for the threads, down in the bottom right hand corner are numbers of pages, click #2 and in the list of threads that come up read 9mm mold.

Joe

pdgraham
12-12-2005, 04:41 PM
I bought an 09-115-RN RCBS mold from David R on this forum.. it ROCKS!!!

http://home.insightbb.com/~pdgraham/Nice9.JPG

:lovebooli

Blackwater
12-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Don't and never have reloaded the 9mm. but as to that Lee 230 gr. TC bullet, a buddy recently killed two deer with it. Both produced great results. He's using 6.8 gr. Unique under it, and velocity is 965 fps. IIRC. That big and that heavy a bullet at that kind of near 1,000 fps velocity will cure most things that pose a problem. It's also what I'd consider a max. load with that bullet in that caliber, too. No sense battering a darn fine gun with anything heavier since at 965, it's still doing @ 870 fps at 100 yds. - enough to do whatever needs to be done in 99% of the situations you or I are likely to encounter, even at that long range.

I've also used the 200 gr. SWC's for a long, long time, and can't fault them at all. They're a little faster if you want speed, but not really enough flatter over even as far as 100 yds. to make a real difference. The 230's MAY have a little longer bearing surface, and MAY result in just a bit better accuracy, but that's dependent on too many factors to generalize about.

I've used tons of the 190 Lee SWC's, and they always fed and functioned well, and gave good accuracy, and this was back when I wasn't casting for quality but for quantity.

BTW, with that 230 Lee TC, the seating depth is a bit more than with the 230 RNL's, so you can't use quite as much powder under them as you can with the RN.

If I was going to buy a mould now, I think I'd go with the RCBS 201 SWC. It's got a nice sharp flat base, which I think makes a bit of difference if you want the absolute best match grade results, and a single lube groove, and the guys who used to cast their own for serious bullseye competiton picked this one above all others.

In a custom mould, I think I'd really like to try a 230 gr. SWC, and may well get Mountain Moulds to make one up for me. Time will tell, I guess.

Good bullets for the .45 ACP have been in such demand for so long that I doubt there's any "bad" ones out there, though I can't claim to have tried them all by any means, but sticking with the 200SWC's, the 230 TC's and RN's should put you in good company.

AnthonyB
12-12-2005, 07:36 PM
IMHO, the bestest commonly available 45 ACP boolit is the RCBS 230-CM. Everyone I know who has tried it has experienced excellent feeding and that big meplat should be very effective. Even sundog likes that one, and we know how he feels about RCBS molds! :) Tony

versifier
12-12-2005, 08:54 PM
You know that you can use Liquid Alox with just about any bullet, right? It doesn't have to be one of the special TL designs. As long as your sizer is big enough diameter (+.002 over groove diameter) you won't have problems. Sometimes you can get a softer alloy to work well at slightly smaller diameters, too. If you need a size that Lee doesn't offer, contact Buckshot. He does them for less cost and faster turnaround. I'll be ordering some from him myself as soon as I settle up with Santy Claws. :-D