PDA

View Full Version : Baked Pumpkin Donuts ...

Reverend Al
09-17-2019, 10:00 PM
Yes, seriously ... baked donuts. I even bought several dedicated pans just for baking donuts. Still tasty, but a little bit healthier than their deep fried cousins. I didn't glaze this batch since I have to watch my sugar intake. (Mind you I'll give most of these away to friends and neighbours anyway.)

https://i.imgur.com/dkFOpQd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lUP2HTM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AJiEzLt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sDqdt4i.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aKfaYKs.jpg

Baked Pumpkin Donuts

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup shortening, butter, or margarine, softened

For Icing:

1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 teaspoons milk (more if needed)

DIRECTIONS:

FOR DOUGHNUTS: In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and baking soda. Add pumpkin, eggs, milk, and shortening, butter, or margarine; beat with an electric mixer on low speed till mixed.

Spoon the mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip with a 1/2 inch opening. Pipe onto 2 greased baking sheets in 3-inch circles.

Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 10 minutes, or till golden brown. Cool doughnuts on a rack over waxed paper.

FOR ICING: In a small mixing bowl stir together powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir in enough milk to make a smooth icing of glazing consistency. Spoon icing over doughnuts.

facetious
09-18-2019, 02:43 AM
We used to make a kind of pumpkin cake using pancake mix, the kind where you just add water but would add two egg's and a can of pumpkin. Not pumpkin pie filling. We would then put it in a glass dish and bake .

brass410
09-18-2019, 09:57 AM
want to try this, ( to improve my waist line) where did you find the pointed bake pans ?

Reverend Al
09-18-2019, 03:17 PM
They are fairly common here and I've seen them in most stores that sell baking supplies. I'll admit that I bought 2 of them in local thrift stores! (I have 4 of the large pans.) I even found another pan that makes "mini donuts"! (So do these qualify as "diet donuts"? [smilie=l:)

https://i.imgur.com/WnOgRsO.jpg

brass410
09-18-2019, 04:08 PM
there's no room for calories or carbs in the little ones so they must be okay.

Reverend Al
09-18-2019, 07:10 PM
And if you break open the bigger ones all of the calories fall out so they're OK too ...

MaryB
09-18-2019, 08:28 PM
Pumpkin bread is good stuff too! I have 2 pie pumpkins I need to cook down then run thru the strainer to get the strings out.

Ford SD
09-18-2019, 10:16 PM
Pumpkin bread is good stuff too! I have 2 pie pumpkins I need to cook down then run thru the strainer to get the strings out.

When I have made Pumpkin (from the garden) I just cook then purea them in a food processor , a bit at a time ,
measure and zip lock bag them in the freezer for use later

I wonder if you could can them instead:idea:

45workhorse
09-18-2019, 10:47 PM
Thanks....now I am hungry.
They look good.

abunaitoo
09-19-2019, 01:45 AM
Going to try a batch this week.

MaryB
09-19-2019, 08:31 PM
Yes they can be canned(pressure canner) but these are for Thanksgiving pies so will get used up soon. I will just freeze it.

abunaitoo
09-19-2019, 08:57 PM
deletd

redhawk0
09-19-2019, 09:02 PM
Excellent....they look great...but I have to admit....I'd prefer them with the icing.

redhawk

Reverend Al
09-19-2019, 10:44 PM
Excellent....they look great...but I have to admit....I'd prefer them with the icing.

redhawk

As I said I have to watch my sugar intake, but you could always ice yours!

Wayne Smith
09-20-2019, 04:35 PM
Canning pumpkin requires a pressure canner. There used to be a book called "Putting Food BY" that had instructions for all kinds of preserving food.

buckwheatpaul
09-20-2019, 05:44 PM
there's no room for calories or carbs in the little ones so they must be okay.

One of my favorite Chief's told me that if you break the donuts in half and point the broken ends down and vigorously shake them the calories will fall out!

redhawk0
09-20-2019, 06:34 PM
Canning pumpkin requires a pressure canner. There used to be a book called "Putting Food BY" that had instructions for all kinds of preserving food.

We freeze our pumpkin. Bake the raw pumpkin....use the food processor to liquefy it....then scoup 2 cups into freezer zip-lok...and just freeze...its really simple...ours lasts for about 3 years before we start again.

redhawk

abunaitoo
09-20-2019, 06:53 PM
Have you tried it without the doughnut pans????
Having a hard time finding them here.
I would think without the sides, they would come out flat.
Maybe a mini cup cake pan.

Traffer
09-20-2019, 07:13 PM
Is there a sign up sheet somewhere? I want to receive these in the mail every couple of weeks.

Reverend Al
09-20-2019, 08:07 PM
Have you tried it without the doughnut pans????
Having a hard time finding them here.
I would think without the sides, they would come out flat.
Maybe a mini cup cake pan.

Amazon has them in several variations ...

https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Individual-Full-Sized-Non-Stick-Dishwasher/dp/B004CYELOQ

sparkyv
09-21-2019, 09:43 AM
SWMBO makes 'em in muffin format. Gotta wait till it cools down a bit before she'll fire up the oven, though. Very moist and tasty!

DukeInFlorida
09-21-2019, 12:53 PM
Durn it!

Can't find my donut pan for the life of me.

So, just ordered two of the super large size SILLYCONE pans from Amazon, just to bake these donuts. Just glad I am not on a diet. I recently bought a dozen of similar donuts at a local bakery, and they somehow disappeared after three days. I live alone. The donut ghost must have taken some.....

1616s16
10-04-2019, 07:16 PM
Made a few today. Fast and easy. Great taste and all gone.
Butch

Reverend Al
10-05-2019, 05:32 PM
A few more baked donut recipes in case you run out of Pumpkin ...

Baked Banana Donuts

Ingredients:

2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 egg whites
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 & 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
1 tbsp. white sugar
2 tbsp. chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425F and grease baking sheet.
2. Beat the bananas, egg whites, oil, and brown sugar in a large bowl. Add flours, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. Mix until it's all well blended.
3. Let stand for 5 minutes to let dough rise.
4. Scoop out heaping tablespoons (my scoops were probably 2-3 tbsp’s each doughnut) and place on baking sheet equally spread apart. Take a buttered knife and finger to form doughnut holes in the centre of each. Smooth edges of dough into a round doughnut as much as possible. It will be difficult as the dough is sticky. Do not feel discouraged- they don’t have to be perfect. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp of white sugar.
5. Place in oven for 7 to 8 minutes at 425F.

Baked Lemon Donuts

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
6 oz container of Lemon yogurt (or plain yogurt flavoured with lemon)
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup milk
zest of one lemon

Glaze:

1 cup powdered sugar
juice of one lemon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325º. Lightly grease two 6 count donut pans with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together egg, yogurt, oil, milk and lemon zest. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
Divide batter evenly into 12 donut cups, filling each about half full. (Use a pastry bag or a plastic bag with a corner cut out to make filling the cups easier.)
Bake for 10-15 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes in the pans.
Whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice to create a thin glaze.
Remove the donuts from the pans and drizzle the glaze onto the warm donuts. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 12 donuts.

Baked Old Fashioned Sour Cream Donuts

Ingredients:

2 cups Bisquick baking mix
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp ground Nutmeg
¼ tsp ground Cinnamon
½ cup Sour Cream
1 Egg

Coating:

½ Cup Granulated Sugar
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
3 tbsp Butter melted

Creamy Glaze:

1 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 tbsp Milk
½ tsp Vanilla

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

1. In a mixing bowl, mix together the Baking Mix, ¼ Cup sugar, nutmeg, ¼ tsp cinnamon, sour cream and egg until soft dough forms.
2. Gently smooth the dough into a ball on a floured cloth covered board. Kneed ten (10) times and then place in baking pan.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove and let cool for about 2 to 3 minutes before brushing with the melted butter and then dipping them in the cinnamon / sugar coating and then glazing over top of that coating with the icing glaze.

Red Velvet Baked Donuts with Cream Cheese Glaze

Ingredients:

For the Dough:

3/4 cups Warm Milk
1 packet active dry yeast
1 tablespoon Un-salted Butter, Melted
2 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Red Food Coloring
1/3 cup Sugar
2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
2 tablespoon Cocoa Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt

For the Cream Cheese Glaze:

4 ounces Cream Cheese, Softened
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
3 tablespoons Milk

Directions:

To make the dough, place 1/4 cup of the warm milk in the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle the yeast over the milk, let sit for 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 of milk with the sugar, butter, and apple cider vinegar. Add it to the yeast mixture and stir to combine. Stir in the food coloring.
Add the flour, cocoa powder, and salt and stir until dough starts to form. Change to the dough hook and knead until the dough starts is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. If the dough starts to stick to the bowl, slowly add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough is no longer sticky.
Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place the bowl in a warm place, preferably a turned-off oven, and allow it to rest until doubles in size, about 1 hour.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and, using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until it is 1/4-inch thick. Cut out donuts using two different sized biscuit cutters and place them on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper, about 2 inches apart. Cover with a clean towel and let sit for about 45 minutes to rise. Preheat the oven 375 degrees.
Bake the doughnuts until they have set and are slightly puffed, about 7 minutes. Be careful not to over-bake the doughnuts, you want them to be light and doughy inside. Allow the doughnuts to cool completely on the baking sheet while you make the glaze.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Add the milk and whisk until a thick liquid glaze had formed. If the glaze is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If the glaze is too thick, add more milk. Dip the doughnuts halfway into the glaze and then transfer them to a draining / cooling rack set over top of a baking sheet. Let the doughnuts sit until the glaze has hardened, about 20 minutes.

Geezer in NH
10-09-2019, 04:33 PM
The Ball book on canning covers it!

My pan came in this week will be making some also some mollasas ones. Down east favorite.

Txcowboy52
10-18-2019, 01:13 PM
Those look sooo good !! I will have to give these a try !! My wife makes the most amazing pumpkin bread every fall , and it never lasts long ! I will see if she will let me sneak out of the kitchen with her recipe long enough to post it . Lol wish me luck

DukeInFlorida
10-24-2019, 06:10 PM
Made the pumpkin donuts again today. This time I did the glaze thing. Much better with the glaze.

Tomorrow, gonna make blueberry donuts, with the glaze.