PDA

View Full Version : I see lots of nice rifles here

Pressman
09-17-2019, 06:15 PM
But none of these, the Swiss K-31 or 1911 straight pulls.
This one has the Swiss Products diopter sight. It will put 5 into an inch at 100 yards. With the right load of course.

Traffer
09-17-2019, 06:37 PM
More pictures please ...close ups...especially of that cool sight.

beemer
09-17-2019, 06:50 PM
I had two but didn't have the nice sights you have. Both were very accurate and certainly well made but for some reason I didn't take to them, can't say anything bad about them either. I bought the Swiss side mount for a scope, made the scope usable but a little odd. I prefer Enfields first and then Mausers.

Pressman
09-18-2019, 11:40 AM
http://www.swissproductsllc.com/ to see the sights and all the other Swiss rifle products, all USA made.

Reverend Al
09-18-2019, 03:01 PM
A large number of these surplus K31 Swiss 7.5x55mm rifles were imported into Canada too and of course I bought one since they were in very good condition and very reasonably priced when the first batches hit our shores. (They have now risen in price in the last few years.) It is an amazingly accurate rifle and cartridge and I hate to admit that I really don't shoot it enough. (But that is my own fault because I have too many other "project guns" that keep getting in the way of shooting my existing favorites as often as I should.)

https://i.imgur.com/2T3nshE.jpg

greenwart
09-18-2019, 05:53 PM
I was doing my yearly clean and noticed that the K31's had not been shot in a while. I have 2 of them. Being quite low on cases (less than 100) went looking for replacements . SGammo had a case price of 139.50 for 174g soft points Prvi Partisan which makes it slightly higher than buying empty cases. Plan on going shooting tomorrow and will let you know if they perform.

EMC45
09-18-2019, 09:58 PM
Mine is super accurate.

M-Tecs
09-18-2019, 10:18 PM
I am down to three. When they were cheap I purchased 24 of them. I have a couple different type diopter sights for them. I am not sure what the Swiss were thinking when they designed the rear sight but it has a serious design flaw. Due to the design when you make large adjustments the other adjustment will change also. The original is made for shooting at 300 M. As such there is not all that much range of adjustment. The internal adjuster is a circular, so if you make a lot of windage adjustment you affect the elevation and the same is true if you make a lot of adjustment to the elevation, you affect the windage. As such the sights are best used at one range, and are not suited at all for shooting NRA competition course.

Bmi48219
09-24-2019, 08:34 AM
I was with my dad at a gun show in the late sixties, he purchased a NRA very good condition K-31 rifle and an 8 mm Mauser for $10.00 each. The K-31 was the longest rifle in the gun cabinet. Super accurate too, but to a kid it was brutal shooting it from a prone position. The straight-pull action design is extravagant, the machining and fit are typically Swiss. Beautiful piece of history.

Eddie Southgate
09-24-2019, 04:43 PM
I have a Beech stock and a Walnut stock K31 as well as a 1911 , all are first rate shooters .

Eddie Southgate
09-24-2019, 04:46 PM
I was with my dad at a gun show in the late sixties, he purchased a NRA very good condition K-31 rifle and an 8 mm Mauser for $10.00 each. The K-31 was the longest rifle in the gun cabinet. Super accurate too, but to a kid it was brutal shooting it from a prone position. The straight-pull action design is extravagant, the machining and fit are typically Swiss. Beautiful piece of history.

Must have been a 1911 or the older version as the K31 is a short carbine sized rifle. That or your dad had a bunch of really short rifles .

Texas by God
09-24-2019, 05:56 PM
Years ago I showed a couple of friends what was possible at 100 yards with open sights with a good rifle and ammo. We were sighting in a 30-06 and
300 mag ( theirs) and they were happy with their 3 shot 2" groups with store ammo and 4x12 scopes- until I put 5 G11's in a 1.25" circle. They were amazed. I set them shoot it with some coaching and they were hitting coke cans with glee. Next trip one of them had bought 100 rounds of 7.5x55 so we could shoot it more.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

swheeler
09-24-2019, 06:35 PM
I still shoot a beech stocked k31, accurate as all get out, just hard to get used to looks and feel of it.

Pressman
09-26-2019, 08:28 PM
sweeler, I can agree about the looks. Mine is a beech stock with non-matching numbers so I didn't feel bad about refinishing the stock. The wood is in very good condition, even the butt. The foregrip was terrible, all the finish was gone, dirt and grime had been worked into the stock from years of handling. It was very unpleasant to look at.
After two baths in Easy Off oven cleaner it looked grey. I gave it three coats of dark cherry Watco Danish oil that looks more like walnut then cherry. I did not try to sand the imperfections out of the wood, most of the small dents were raised during it's two baths. I topped it off with a dark Minwax brand finishing wax. Not it has an "authentic" military appearance that, to me, looks very appropriate.

Ken

303Guy
09-30-2019, 01:56 AM
Years ago I showed a couple of friends what was possible at 100 yards with open sights with a good rifle and ammo. We were sighting in a 30-06 and
300 mag ( theirs) and they were happy with their 3 shot 2" groups with store ammo and 4x12 scopes- until I put 5 G11's in a 1.25" circle. They were amazed. I set them shoot it with some coaching and they were hitting coke cans with glee. Next trip one of them had bought 100 rounds of 7.5x55 so we could shoot it more.....

So did they group? [smilie=1:

Texas by God
09-30-2019, 01:56 PM
303 guy- you know they did! I tried Hard to get my "precision reloads" to equal that dang milsurp ammo but it was not to be.....impressive ammo and rifle; the weight and overall funkiness caused me to let it go down the road.

enfield
10-01-2019, 09:58 PM
249154249155249156 I've put this on before but here it is again. something I geared up to mount a peep and front globe ( the Lyman 17 pinches perfectly in the ears )