PDA

View Full Version : Pacific press parts

abunaitoo
09-14-2019, 10:14 PM
Anyone know if anyone sells Pacific press parts?????
Looking for a rem for the Super Mag Press.

richhodg66
09-14-2019, 10:26 PM
C4HD sells a ram that uses universal shell holders like modern presses which they say fits most of the old Pacific and RCBS presses. Seems like it costs about $40.

abunaitoo
09-14-2019, 10:38 PM
Talked to them already.
Got one for my Pacific "C" type press.
Ram is to short for the super Mag.
Asked if they could make one.
He said no.

Pressman
09-15-2019, 09:09 AM
abunaitoo, you may have a better chance at winning the lottery than finding that ram. I am surprised that CH4D would not make you one. You may have to pull a good one and take it to a machine shop/s and try to convince them to make one for you. And, unfortunately it won't be cheap.

rbuck351
09-15-2019, 10:44 AM
How much too short is it? Would putting your lock nut on the bottom of the die after installing it lower the die enough to make it work?

DonMountain
09-15-2019, 12:51 PM
NO eBay links, ever. Thanks Pressman. I apologize and should have known better. Sorry to everybody about my improper actions with a reference to a possible source for the parts.

Pressman
09-15-2019, 02:22 PM
rbuck, His original ram was hack sawed off for some unknown reason. The press has uses a ram about 3 inches longer than standard. He is going to have to find a ram from an original press to make it work.

rbuck351
09-15-2019, 02:44 PM
Yup, 3" is more than a little. Sound like expensive machine shop time.

Pressman
09-15-2019, 10:09 PM
abunaitoo, I just got to thinking about this, from DonMountain's post. I cannot see any reason you could not take two rams, cut to length and weld them together. It would be much easier and cheaper than machining a new one. The only issue would be keeping them absolutely straight while welding.

DonMountain
09-15-2019, 10:55 PM
abunaitoo, I just got to thinking about this, from DonMountain's post. I cannot see any reason you could not take two rams, cut to length and weld them together. It would be much easier and cheaper than machining a new one. The only issue would be keeping them absolutely straight while welding.

It may be more feasible to put the two rams in a lathe and cut one down in diameter and thread it, and drill the other one and tap it. Easier to make them line up pretty close as opposed to welding and having them flex. As far as that goes you could also notch the joint and spot weld it in place. Turning down the spot weld to smooth.

Three44s
09-15-2019, 11:28 PM
I have the Pacific press with three rams. Is that the press you need a ram for?

I am not going to let go of it or parts off it. If you have the same press you have two other rams to measure.

Three44s

abunaitoo
09-16-2019, 05:19 AM
I was thinking of connecting two rams together.
Hard part is keeping everything straight.
My plan was to tap the lower ram.
Drill through the upper ram and counter sink it for a alan head bolt.
This way I could move the joint into the press and tighten the bolt to keep the two together.
Sound like a good plan?????

Yes, Press with three rams.
No idea why someone would cut one of the rams.
Probably had a very UN-happy childhood.

Rany A
09-23-2019, 02:08 AM
Yes, there is a gentleman named Ed Sager that sells parts for most older reloading equipment. I will send you a pm with his email.

abunaitoo
09-23-2019, 05:16 AM
Thank you
I sent him a email.

mdi
09-26-2019, 11:50 AM
Would something like this work/help? https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/3417/see-all-departments?pk_cid=10&pk_keyword=3417&pk_medium=multifeeds&pk_campaign=GoogleUS&pk_source=GoogleUS&pk_content=SportingGoodsOutdoorRecreation&utm_source=GoogleUS&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyOWC2uru5AIVsRx9Ch16BwCXEAQYAiAB EgLVOvD_BwE

If you have the ability and equipment to connect (weld, drill & tap, etc.) you could probably make a one piece ram that will work...

EDG
09-26-2019, 06:34 PM
Your ram would be easy to replace as follows.

If the other Pacific universal rams are a close match except for the length buy 2 and cut them off to make one.
A machinist with a quality lathe and a set of 5C collets can chuck them so they can be drilled on center.
The bottom half of the new ram would have the top cut off and drilled and tapped for the largest practical fine thread grade 8 cap screw. Then cut off the bottom of the top section. Drill and tap the bottom of the top section for the same grade 8 capscrew. Probably a 9/16" or 5/8" fine thread. Buy a grade 8 cap screw and cut the threaded section off and use it as a connecting all thread. The machinist might have to monkey around to get the thing clocked propertly. Then assemble with Loctite and put it together really tight.

Pressman
09-26-2019, 08:13 PM
MDI, that's a great idea but his ram is hacksawed at mid point and a couple inches longer than a standard ram. Finding a used one will be like finding the next Hope diamond.

abunaitoo
09-26-2019, 08:33 PM
I'm still hoping, but I know it will be like finding the hope diamond.
But...someone did find the hope diamond, so I still have a chance.
Just finding the press here, is like finding a diamond.
From looking at pictures of others, only one of the rams has a hole for primer work.
Lucky for me, I have that one.
I'll order a universal ram and see what I can come up with.
Connecting the two, with a threaded rod would be the most solid way.
Getting the two halves to match, and indexing the shell holder, would take a way better machinist than I am.
I'll get-er-done somehow.
The guy Ed Sager hasn't replied yet.

mdi
09-26-2019, 11:43 PM
The OP mentioned the replacement ram is too short, but not how much. That's why I mentioned the extended shell holder. I still think it would be easier to fabricate one put of a single piece of round stock. If one has the ability to cut and splice (weld, thread, etc.) two rams, the fabrication of a single piece ram would be easy. That's all I meant...

abunaitoo
09-27-2019, 02:03 AM
It looks to be missing about 2".
It is threaded, so they must have had something on it.
Couldn't imagine what it would be, other than a shell holder.
Haven't really had the time to work on it.
Just hoping someone might have a extra ram.
Lyman has a universal shell holder ram.
Just another project in the long list of projects.

Pressman
09-27-2019, 10:00 AM
FYI on Ed, his health is not so good. They are looking at selling out and moving to town. It's a major decision for Ed, and a hard one.
Ed is the one person that really got me into old tool collecting, he has been a great friend for years.

Ken

DonMountain
09-28-2019, 12:55 PM
I might have a solution for this longer ram problem. I just noticed that all of the Pacific/Hornady rams seem to be about the same diameter, to fit the diameter of their shell holders. I have two Pacific presses sitting side by side on my bench. One of them is a Super Deluxe Press with a ram about 5" long, and the other one is a Pacific/Hornady 00-7 with a ram about 8.5 or 9" long. Maybe you could borrow a ram from a 00-7 to see if it will replace the ram you are missing. And maybe with a little bit of redrilling the bottom pivot hole you could make that work. Or maybe use an extended shell holder.

I just went back to the reloading room and measured the diameter of the rams in my Super Pacific and 00-7 presses. They are different diameters. The Pacific Super Deluxe ram is 0.810" in diameter and the Pacific/Hornady 00-7 is 0.875" in diameter.

abunaitoo
09-29-2019, 04:00 AM
Thanks. I'll look in to it.
It might just work.

rbuck351
09-29-2019, 02:35 PM
Wouldn't be hard to turn it down to .810 if the rest is correct.

Pressman
09-29-2019, 08:07 PM
There is a critical difference in the way the two rams attach to the pivot block that is not impossible to over come but will be a headache.

DonMountain
09-30-2019, 01:02 PM
There is a critical difference in the way the two rams attach to the pivot block that is not impossible to over come but will be a headache.

I see from some pictures I viewed that the pivot block fits around the milled flat sides of the ram whereas the 007 ram is the full diameter all the way to the end, not milled. But still having the pivot pin running horizontally through the end of the bottom end of the ram with the pivot block encompassing the ram's full diameter. So, if the ram is the correct diameter and length, the only modification would be to mill the bottom sides of the ram down far enough to fit in the Super Mag's pivot block. That would be easy machine work for anybody with a small mill or would not take much time in a machine shop. So, does anybody have a Super Mag that can measure the diameter of the rams? And maybe even the length and I can compare it to the 007 ram?

Pressman
09-30-2019, 03:12 PM
Don, I think you have the solution. The Pacific ram is about 7-3/4 inches long. The 007 is 9 inches long. The bottom could be cut off, sides of the ram milled and drilled and the diameter turned to .810" . At that point it may be necessary to drill and tap a hole for a set screw to retain the shellholder.

abunaitoo
10-01-2019, 02:22 AM
Is the 007 ram still avalable????

DonMountain
10-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Is the 007 ram still avalable????

My 007 press is maybe 25 or 30 years old. But the press is still made by Hornady Lock and Load Classic Single Stage Press. Available wherever Hornady products are sold. You might call Hornady and tell them what your situation is and what you plan to do and see what they can sell you directly. If they actually produce them where you call for information, maybe you could even have them pull one off the machining line before finishing to ease your conversion. Or slip the machinist a case of liquid refreshments to actually make the ram to fit the press.

abunaitoo
06-19-2020, 03:07 AM
Old post, but I think I may have found a solution.
Been hunting for a original ram, but it's like looking for Big Foot.
Lots of people say they have see it, but none have been caught.
Anyway...................
I found my Lee hand press under some other stuff.
The ram doesn't have the cutout for the primer seater.
Just what I was looking for.
Check the diameter, and it is the same size.
I'm almost sure I can make it work.
I sent an email to Lee Precision asking if they would sell just the ram.
Hope they say "YES"
Anyone have a broken one in the junk box?????

Winger Ed.
06-19-2020, 03:28 AM
If You end up with a short one, but the ends are right,
It's no big deal to cut an 'hour glass' shape, get the same size stock, and lengthen it.

I used to do that working on old safes that used a long handle shaft I had to replace.
The new ones had the same ends, but were a inch shorter.

Its not a fast project, but its do-able- with a little patience to keep it straight & true, and a BIG welder.

abunaitoo
06-19-2020, 04:02 PM
Lee got back to me.
Sent me the part number.
I put it in the box, went to check out, and it was free!!!!
I just didn't feel right about it, so ordered some other small stuff.
Most of them were also free!!!!!
Ended up paying more for shipping that the parts.
But I'm happy.
So glad we have companies like Lee Precision, RCBS, and Dillion.