PDA

View Full Version : My Rossi 92 project

Drew P
09-13-2019, 10:08 PM
I wanted to share this project as I’ve been working pretty hard on it and it’s turned out killer. It started life as a rossi ranch hand, then got SBR’d and buttstock extended with some pine, then to hide the ugly pine I made a leather boot.
New MUCH taller front sight, because Rossi only makes guns they don’t shoot them.
Add a spring kit and a new lever loop from Steve’s guns and the result is what you see here. I’ve done a LOT of slicking, smithing, problem solving, and improving to this rifle (it’s a Rossi, they need a lot of massaging apparently) and now it’s considerably smoother in operation.
You may be interested in the lightening bolt theme on the furniture. These were added by use of a microwave oven transformer. About 950 volts coursing through the Brazilian hardwood gives it these patterns, which I think really gives it a cool look. Maybe not for everyone, but the stock wood is pretty crappy on these so I figured what the heck.
Finished with linseed oil which is going to be drying for the next decade at this rate.
I still want to wrap the lever loop with some leather but that’s a project for this winter, by the fire.

dangitgriff
09-13-2019, 10:18 PM
Do tell how you used a magnetron from a microwave to create that pattern on the stock, please.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190914/dc634b658122516b9e1b510a89d32583.jpg

Drew P
09-13-2019, 10:39 PM

Hoping to get a little more gloss in the finish eventually. But this girl needs to do some safe time for a few months to let the finish harden

Drew P
09-13-2019, 10:42 PM
You can use a neon sign transformer too, which is much higher voltage, and also much safer. If you get shocked by a neon transformer, you’ll *probably* live to tell the tale. However the microwave unit will kill you dead. So, proceed with CAUTION! But it’s pretty simple, just hook the leads up to any piece of wood, and then wet the wood with an electrolyte solution, we use baking soda mixed into water, stand back and hit the power switch.
Different woods provide different results, and you get what you get. I tried to research what wood Rossi uses, so I could practice on some, but I couldn’t find anything other than “Brazilian hardwood” which could,mean anything. However many tropical woods have similar structure it turns out. In the end I just went for it, i was planning to upgrade the furniture to walnut eventually anyway.
We have an SKS and an old AK that will get this treatment too I think!

NyFirefighter357
09-14-2019, 06:16 AM
https://youtu.be/3E12nnpWc5c

rondog
09-14-2019, 07:32 AM
I've read the wood Rossi uses may be Tabebuia.

XDROB
09-14-2019, 09:06 AM
That video was very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

kungfustyle
09-14-2019, 09:25 AM
That's a cool look. Neat thread.

Te Hopo
09-15-2019, 11:35 PM
I like it, thats pretty unique

nun2kute
09-16-2019, 06:58 AM
Nice work. The fit on the grip looks nice. The one on my Marlin looks like Cinderella's fat sisters foot in a glass slipper. I intend to remedy that every time I look at it, just haven't got a 'roundtuit' yet.

I may be wrong, I'n not a pro at finishing, but all I used in my reloading room was BLO. And I never have to wait more than a week for next coat application. Sounds like you might need to thin your caot out and not apply so thick at once.

Drew P
09-16-2019, 02:50 PM
Yeah I was applying a coat per day for a while until it slowed it’s absorbing so that might be why, I had read that coats take 24 hrs to dry, “sometimes longer” but not very specific. Since I live in a fairly low humidity area I figured I would be on the lower end of dry times but apparently not. I’m also impatient so, a week between coats does seem like a long time haha.

Texas by God
09-16-2019, 03:10 PM
I have refinished a number of Rossis and the "Brazilian hardwood" was oily by nature on all of them and sun and wind helped a lot between coats of Tru Oil. Extra drying time compared to Walnut, Birch or Maple was noted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Silvercreek Farmer
09-16-2019, 04:45 PM
Nice! What caliber?

bluelund79
09-17-2019, 12:57 PM
That is a great looking stock! Where did you get the taller front sight from? Is that another skinner product, or homemade?

Drew P
09-17-2019, 02:27 PM
Nice! What caliber?
45 colt

Drew P
09-17-2019, 02:28 PM
That is a great looking stock! Where did you get the taller front sight from? Is that another skinner product, or homemade?
Not sure what it is, I was able to find it at my local gunsmith in his bin of stuff. It’s about .250 taller than stock tho.