PDA

View Full Version : Spar t,

loveruger
09-12-2019, 10:39 PM
Size of set screw that holds the shell holder.

Dieselhorses
09-13-2019, 12:09 AM
#10 according to this scan HERE (https://www.shootersforum.com/attachments/handloading-equipment/7371d1216392423-older-lyman-turret-press-lyman-book.pdf). This will bring you right to PDF (it's safe don't worry!)

JBinMN
09-13-2019, 12:47 AM
I just went & measured the one on my press.

It uses a 3/32ths allen head wrench, it is .182" in diameter( close to 3/16ths"), and .109 long( just under 1/8th") and has approx. 4 threads per that length. I don't have a T.P.I. gauge in the "dungeon" where my reloading area is, but I think I have one out in the garage. It is after 11PM CST right now & I don't feel like going out & looking for it. The one I am measuring is a "flat point".

So, looking at the diameter, I would say it is a #10 machine screw size. ("fine" thread most likely) and would have somewhere around 32 TPI.

Thus I would guestimate it is a #10-32 set screw. A pretty common size, BTW.

You can go to an Ace or Truevalue hardware ( or most hardware stores) and ask for their "specialty fastener trays" to find it. You can take your calipers/micrometer with you & check measurements there, starting around the tray that holds the #10-32 allen head flat screws, and check measure some of them, or you can take the press in(<preferred method, IMO) & just start around that size & try screwing in the screws "carefully" to find the right screw. ( If ya choose the latter, do not forget to take an allen wrench that is 3/32ths" with you , unless your hardware store will loan ya one) A Fastenal outlet is another place you might find one, but it will be more expensive I am betting to get one there.
Same with online buying. The shipping would likely "kill the deal" for me anyway.

If you want to buy online, here is a link to a place that sells them & the one I think is most likely the right one:
https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=7019

Hope that helped.
:)

ETA: LOL I am just tired. Instead of going downstairs & measuring, I just should have looked at a manual as Dieselhorses did above. Tell ya right there it is a #10-32 - 1/8th" allen set screw in the parts list. Apparently I was measuring & typing while he was posting...

Oh well... Still hope it helped.

loveruger
09-13-2019, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the help

David2011
09-17-2019, 12:07 AM
The 10-32 thread is common in radio control as well, just as another option for a source of the screw- if you still have a local hobby shop.

KCSO
09-17-2019, 03:43 PM
I use a 10-32 allen head screw with a plastic knob pressed on so I can turn it with my fingers. Much handier.

Three44s
09-19-2019, 09:47 AM
Do what I would do: Either take the ram out or pack the whole kit and caboodle in, show the checker at the front of the store and take it to the assortment and “try the dress on right there in front of God and everybody”. LOL!

Do the test with a long screw that you do not need a wrench for and then buy it in short form (Allen set screw). Buy an extra or three and figure out how to keep track of them in case you lose the one in the press.

Three44s

mazo kid
09-25-2019, 05:51 PM
Any hardware store should have 10-32 set screws.

Heavy Metal 1
11-09-2019, 02:13 PM
Do what I would do: Either take the ram out or pack the whole kit and caboodle in, show the checker at the front of the store and take it to the assortment and “try the dress on right there in front of God and everybody”. LOL!

Do the test with a long screw that you do not need a wrench for and then buy it in short form (Allen set screw). Buy an extra or three and figure out how to keep track of them in case you lose the one in the press.

Three44s

I save the magnets from Sonicare toothbrush heads and use them to keep little metal do das on the press. I have one on my S/T press to keep the allen wrench for the shellholder screw.

pjh421
11-09-2019, 11:54 PM
Ha Ha! My S/T came with a chromed set screw with a slot for a flat tip!

Paul