PDA

View Full Version : 270 REN / 27 Hornet

Unertl
09-12-2019, 04:41 PM
Hello all. Long time lurker first time poster. (Honestly I tried posting this a couple of days ago, hence the testing area)

I have a long term project that is finally picking up some steam.

It is a Martini cadet action for those who are curious.
I've already aquired the donar rifle, dies, .22 Hornet brass and an extractor blank.

Next I'm in need of some information I haven't been able to find online. Mostly concerning twist rates, velocity and boolit stability. This will determine barrel specifics for this project.

After much reading I am looking for a Ideal 280412 HP mold, I'm hoping to launch these at subsonic and supersonic velocities and don't know what twist rate this would require.

Does anyone happen to know the max length of .277 straight wall, a cadet action will take without grinding the block? This will determine the OAL of the cartridge there by effecting volume which in turn includes/excludes various powders...

Any suggestions on where to repost this later? Single shots, projects,... Possibly break down the different questions into different posts for different sections?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time. Jeff

Jedman
09-12-2019, 09:14 PM
I have built several martinis on the small cadet actions and can't really answer your maximum length question. If you are going to make one in 270 REN it will surely work fine.
I don't know what bullet you re referring to but a standard 1-10" twist .270 barrel should work fine for most bullet weights you would use in that cartridge.
Sounds like a fun rifle, Good Luck !

Jedman

Unertl
09-13-2019, 06:35 AM
Oops, the Ideal 280412 HP is a 140 grain hollow point. This is the bit of reading that inspired this boolit selection, http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCastHP-Contender.htm
It is referring to a pistol loading rather than a rifle but due to the weight and speed of it(1425 fps), I'm inclined to believe that it is at the edge of what Hornet brass can endure.

StrawHat
09-27-2019, 06:42 AM
Unertl,

There are several companies who will custom make that mold, or any other design you can design. Or, if you find a solid mld you like, you can have it hollow pointed.

Kevin