PDA

View Full Version : S&W rear sight blade campaign

oldhenry
09-11-2019, 02:03 PM
My S&W 686-4 Plus doesn't get much use, so recently I got it out of the safe & when I removed it from the rug discovered that the rear side blade was broken. I vaguely recall a handgun falling when I closed the safe, but since they are all in a heavily padded rug I didn't suspect damage.

To those that have ever replaced the blade, this may bring back memories....or laughs. In any event: here is the story of replacing that blade.

1. Reviewed video on replacement (that guy from Brownells made it look easy). Ordered blade kit from Midway & when it arrived promptly lost the plunger & spring. We live in a log house with 6" pine floors held down with cut nails: also some cracks. refer to the attached photo of the primary components.

2. Ordered 2 springs & two plungers from midway & lost both plungers & one spring.

Before proceed further I reviewed the video: it looks easy. I also read reviews on Midway's listing. One guy said that if he ever needs to replace another, he'll get a gunsmith to do it. Another fellow (very intelligent) stated that after he ordered his 2nd. plunger & spring he sat down in his shower, closed the curtain & was able to find the parts every time they ejected & finally made the replacement.

I envied the second fellow. I figured he must be way younger than I to be able to accomplish the feat in the shower...…….at 80, just the thought made me consider the option of getting a gunsmith to do it if needed again.

3. Ordered 2 more plungers & 2 more springs (that'd give me 3 springs). Midway likes old guys like me.
I got smart this time & showed the small parts to my wife (she usually helps me locate lost motorcycle parts & does a better job when she knows what to look for). I told her about the bath tub method & we agreed that @ my age that would not be a good idea. We also agreed that should I fail @ this attempt, the #4 attempt would involve a Bowen Rough Country Sight #400.

My wife then suggested that she drape a sheet from the edge of my work bench, down the front of the work bench & onto the floor...…….not as good as the bath tub method, but better for me allowing my padded vise to hold the gun & I'd also benefit from the good lighting over the bench. The plunger went flying one time & was easily found on the sheet. Likewise for the small nut on the end of the adjusting screw. I also used a small amount of RIG to keep the spring from ejecting. The guy from Brownell did a good job depressing the plunger/spring with the flat of a screw driver blade, but it didn't work for me. I found that the end of a 6" machinist ruler helped me control things.

The story has a happy ending & the 686 once again has a rear sight blade.

Henry

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ………………………………………………..
A real sport involves either gasoline or gun powder...……...all others are just games.

Der Gebirgsjager
09-11-2019, 02:13 PM
This sure brings back memories........

ReloaderFred
09-11-2019, 02:14 PM
That saga is way more familiar than most will admit. After I'm gone, someone is going to find all kinds of treasures in my shop, but they probably won't know what they go to..

Texas by God
09-11-2019, 02:26 PM
I'm laughing with you, not at you. I lost the tiny little spring twice and after finally getting back in order- I found one of the springs embedded in the tread of my tennis shoe! It apparently had ridden there for at least a week while I walked and drove all over. It lies captured in scotch tape in my parts drawer just in case someone needs one- I'm not going down that trail again!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

LIMPINGJ
09-11-2019, 03:40 PM
Bags that cover your clothes from the cleaners are great to work in for this kind of task.

FISH4BUGS
09-11-2019, 03:52 PM
That is EXACTLY why the good Lord created gunsmiths! :)

Outpost75
09-11-2019, 04:01 PM
Ever since I had this happen to me in the field I've carried fixed sight guns and left the adjustable sight ones for range duty only.

Drm50
09-11-2019, 04:35 PM
I cut one side out of a cardboard box as a sealed envirement when things might fly or drop. Keeps control of 99% but there is always the chance of one getting over the wall.

KCSO
09-11-2019, 05:06 PM
I made a tool from a brass tube to retain everything as I put it together...Didn't help.

Burnt Fingers
09-11-2019, 06:57 PM
Ahh... small parts. The joy of life.

Somewhere in my garage are several small parts and springs I've lost over the past couple of years.

I lost a reverse spring plug for my RIA 1911 a couple of months ago. Ordered a new one. Last week I looked down and there it was, right next to a bucket of .45 ACP brass.

rintinglen
09-12-2019, 03:27 AM
That's how I find lost stuff--I simply buy another and I find it in no time.

Petrol & Powder
09-12-2019, 06:09 AM
That's how I find lost stuff--I simply buy another and I find it in no time.

Another foolproof method is to spend an hour fabricating a replacement part for the one you lost. :bigsmyl2:

nun2kute
09-12-2019, 07:04 AM
So, which brand of Microscope did you use ?

gwpercle
09-12-2019, 05:03 PM
Rules are :
1.) They make repair/replacement look so simple on the video.

2.) It's never simple .

3.) Always order two....you gonna lose one for sure if you don't . Having the second on hand just avoids the additional wait .

4.) If you don't have 20/20 eyesight ....think twice about doing it .

A local gunsmith said buy the sight from me and I will install it , no charge, while you have a cup of free coffee .... He made me an offer I couldn't refuse !

Gary

30Carbiner
09-14-2019, 09:56 PM
I have a Smith rear blade plunger and spring somewhere in my carpet. Never found it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knifemaker
09-15-2019, 02:12 AM
There is another trick to use when replacing small springs that may fly off into the wild blue yonder. Get a one gallon or two gallon zip lock clear plastic bag and do the replacement inside the bag. It was a trick I learned at the Beretta armors school when removing or replacing the M-94 spring located under the rear sight.

Petrol & Powder
09-18-2019, 10:55 PM
I have a Smith rear blade plunger and spring somewhere in my carpet. Never found it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amateur, I've got a lot more parts in my carpet. [smilie=s:

arlon
09-19-2019, 12:36 AM
Amateur, I've got a lot more parts in my carpet. [smilie=s:

Someone needs a good magnet...

Bazoo
09-19-2019, 09:59 AM
I once lost the ball detent out of an HKS speedloader. So, after a few weeks I found it. The wife had vacuumed several times.

I once lost a spring out of a Benchmade switchblade I had. It was about 3/4" long and like a flat needle. I never did find it. Looked and looked. Had to send the knife back to benchmade for the repair. They refused to send a .10 part.

Petrol & Powder
09-19-2019, 10:07 AM
Joking folks, just joking

Old School Big Bore
09-19-2019, 10:24 AM
The first things I do to a new-to-me S&W are an action spring kit and a Weigand match rear sight blade. Prior to adopting the Weigand blades, I used to use a neck hold on my B27-match guns and would install one of the short-height blades on them. Therefore my life has been rife with flying springs, plungers, etc. My current shop has one M92 cartridge stop spring, one Remington 514 ejector, plunger AND spring, and several other parts I disremember spread about here and there. The M92 spring may still be in low earth orbit. It caromed off the frame of my glasses, and I heard two other distinct taps after it went out of sight behind me. The shop at our former residence still has two or three S&W rear sight plungers and springs and assorted other parts somewhere inside it, despite the fact that when we first moved there I slopped white paint all over the walls and floor, leaving nowhere for anything to hide, and upon leaving there I swept with broom AND magnet AND vacuumed. The evidence-retrieval/mechanic's magnet, broom/dustpan and filtered shop vac/dust buster are our friends, but I have still had to make sight plungers out of rod stock. I finally ordered the six-pack of rear sight springs & plungers, and still have several sets. Somewhere in the gold shag carpet of my first residence resides a S&W cylinder stop spring and a bolt plunger with its spring.
Even after adopting the shop-rag-over-the-action trick, I still have an occasional part get launched. I will try the gallon zipper bag trick next time.