PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding screws

Regular Joe
09-11-2019, 12:23 AM
I have a GM drop in barrel for a T/C that I need to shim to get it to fit in my stock. The screws that hold the lug on the barrel are too short after the shims. They only have maybe two threads holding the lug on. Does anyone know where I can find some screws? I don't know the tread pitch. I need them about 3/8 in long. The hole is tapped far enough in. Thanks! Joe

megasupermagnum
09-11-2019, 12:37 AM
I don't know what thread they are either, but everything on a TC should be standard thread. They are probably #8 screws. Any hardware store will have them.

Regular Joe
09-11-2019, 12:49 AM
This is a Green Mountain barrel, it's not a TC part or a standard screw. But, I'll check the specialty drawer at Lowes.

megasupermagnum
09-11-2019, 02:06 AM
I would really be surprised if Green Mountain used metric screws. I'm sure most are aware, but the quick and easy test is to find the nut drawer and find the size that way. I assume this a counter sunk screw, either flat or allen head. I've never been to lowes, but they should have it if they are worth anything.

Winger Ed.
09-11-2019, 02:10 AM
You may have to go to a real old school hardware store.

If you can't take the barrel, take a screw, test it on a known size nut to be sure the thread pattern is right.

I've done that and sometimes had to get a longer screw that could be filed down--carefully.

waksupi
09-11-2019, 11:45 AM
If you have a Cardinal True Value store, they may have them. The local one carries an assortment of gun screws.

Regular Joe
09-11-2019, 09:27 PM
Numrich! Should have known. Fillister Head Screw, New (6-48 x 3/8") $2.75 each. Price plus shipping will hurt, but I need them.

Buzzard II
09-13-2019, 09:36 AM
I found some on flea bay for less. Thanks for the info, I have the same problem.

GregLaROCHE
10-08-2019, 07:08 AM
All screws are not created equal. There are a lot of inexpensive screws and bolts for sale at places like Home Depot, but in my experience they are mostly made of poor quality steel and their tolerances are not that tight. Maybe get one to find the right size, cannot believe it’s not US standard. After find a place that sells good quality. Agricultural supply stores usually have good quality. They might even let you bring the gun it to find the right one.