PDA

View Full Version : Rockchucker press..

leadhead
09-09-2019, 07:47 PM
Which RCBS Rockchucker reloading press do guys think is the best?
Or does it really matter. Thanks for any info.
Denny

Der Gebirgsjager
09-09-2019, 08:20 PM
All I can do is to give the testimonial that I purchased 2 regular (original?) Rockchuckers back around 1980, and they've done everything I ever wanted them to do with absolutely no problems. Every couple of years I have taken them apart and cleaned and lubed them. I would buy them again!

rancher1913
09-09-2019, 08:27 PM
all depends. I like my jr for simple things, the rockchucker for things that need a little more ummph and the big max for the big stuff. if I was just loading 38 specials all I would need would be the jr.

Taterhead
09-09-2019, 08:33 PM
I've owned a later version of the original "RC" Rock Chucker and a Rock Chucker Supreme "RC IV".

Both are terrific. I slightly favor the current model. Mine is about 15 years old and has had a lot of use. It is the one on my bench now. I sold the older press in great condition. Kind of regret it. Nostalgia and all that.

Either are great, but the newer one had a slightly better feel (subjective), and I liked the ball handle. More clearance too. Both actions are smooth, but the IV on my bench is very very smooth.

I don't prime on a SS press, but the nod would go to the original for priming.

I've read reports that the IV model is Chinese aluminum. Those are not true, but the lore persists...

Land Owner
09-09-2019, 10:23 PM
I own the original RC, the RC II, the Piggyback II, and the 4X4. Shell holders for the semi-progressive 4X4 are illusive and I am not a fan of its shovel handle. The orig. RC has a bicycle handle, of which I am not particularly a fan either, but it does the job very well. I LOVE reloading on the RC II AND the Piggyback II. The RC II has no quirks and the "8-ball" handle takes to the hand well from any angle.

Walks
09-09-2019, 10:38 PM
RCBS has Replacement Ball Handles for the RC'er.
And I have a longer one with an offset Ball handle to use when I stick the Piggyback II on it.
Mine were both free, but that was back in the 1990's.

Minerat
09-09-2019, 10:40 PM
I have a RS2, A RCII with a Piggyback II and a RC supreme RCIV. I used the RS2 to load everything I shoot and resize boolits witha a push thru sizer until about a year ago when I got the RC IV . Only drawback with the RC IV is you can't use the auto primer feed on it and the Piggyback II can't be locked down in the feed channel since it does not have one. The RS 2 does not have the bushing adapter and has a stuck handle (no ball). I really like both versions of the Rock Chucker.

brass410
09-10-2019, 09:38 AM
have the newest RC, and a Big Max, theres no question here if you can find one in good shape. Either one are both very capable presses.

1hole
09-10-2019, 09:10 PM
I've been reloading since '65. Have used quite a few presses of several brands and have five single stage presses now. My "big" press is an RC 2 that I bought from Midway in 1989, IIRC.

I've learned a couple things about presses. I know it's sacrilige to say on the web. (1) If it's made of iron, any brand is basically as good as any other; any small differences is purely personal preference, not the performance. (2) If they look about the same they all work about the same.

At the risk of outrage, I'd just as soon have Lee's current Classic Cast as my RC. In fact, if I had to replace my RC 2 tomorrow it would be with a CC; I believe it's slightly the better press (better user features, not performance) of it's type available in today's market.

375supermag
09-10-2019, 09:34 PM
Hi...
I have been using a RC II for decades.
My son is using a RC Supreme that I acquired at auction last year(NIB).
Both are well made, quality presses that should last for many years.
My RC II has loaded many thousands of rounds of ammunition over the years.
The new RC Supreme has been used to reload well over a thousand rounds of rifle ammunition since we mounted it earlier this year in .223, .270 and .308 with absolutely zero issues.

Petrol & Powder
09-11-2019, 06:53 AM
You'll find a lot of praise for the Rockchucker and there's no doubt that it is a solid press.

If I could only have one press, it would be one of the iron (probably cast steel?) "O" frames like a Rockchucker or Redding Boss. However, this is going to be sacrilege to some, but an aluminum framed "O" style press will work for most users. A decent aluminum framed press that is clean and properly lubricated will perform well for many years.

In addition to my iron presses I have a RCBS RS5 which is an aluminum frame press. It has seen a lot of use and it's just as tight today as the day I got it. Presses are not complex tools. If well cared for they will last a lifetime.

Petrol & Powder
09-11-2019, 07:04 AM
Just out of curiosity, I looked at Midway's listings and here are some comparisons' :

RCBS Rockchucker - $185
RCBS RS5 - $150
Redding Boss - $155
Redding Big Boss - on sale $170

Of those presses, the RS5 is the only aluminum framed one. The Redding Boss is only $5 more than the aluminum RS5 and for that extra $5 you get an excellent press. That would be my choice in that class of single stage press.

For $10 you can get the ball handle conversion.

Shawlerbrook
09-11-2019, 07:11 AM
I would look for a good used Rockchucker. They are pretty bulletproof. Mine is about 30 years old and has loaded thousands of rounds and still good as new.

Airman Basic
09-11-2019, 08:51 AM
Bought a Rockchucker back in the 70s. Been through lots of presses since, just about all name brands, from Dillon to Redding. Since I retired, have nothing but time on my hands, gone back to the RC for everything and retired all the others. Think I shoot now to get cases for reloading rather then other way round. You won't go wrong with one.

Tracy
09-11-2019, 09:30 AM
I have original Rockchuckers and a Rockchucker 2. Both are great. I do prefer the ball handle, which can be retrofitted to the original. The greater clearance of the RC2 gives it a bit of an edge in my opinion, but not enough to necessarily choose it over the original.

As for other brands, I would compare the warranty. The Rockchucker has a lifetime warranty. Do the others? I like my C-H Heavyweight, and would take it over any two presses Lee ever made. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't match the warranty of the Rockchucker.

Mal Paso
09-11-2019, 09:45 AM
I have 2 of the Rockchucker IVs. The only negative is how Rockchuckers handle spent primers. There are a bunch of solutions though from homemade to commercially made 3D printed catchers.

And if you accidently set one on fire they make great Garden Art.

Land Owner
09-13-2019, 06:14 AM
For $10 you can get the ball handle conversion.

I called RCBS on Tuesday, Sept. 10, the day after I read the post saying the "ball handle" was available for the RC. RCBS wants $17.95 for the handle, made by AmmoMaster (not RCBS), and $21.95 for shipping. So, for $40.00 (+/-) you can get it through RCBS. I did not.

Who sells one for $10.00?

Land Owner
09-13-2019, 06:18 AM
And if you accidently set one on fire they make great Garden Art.

For another thread...HOW did you do that?

smoked turkey
09-13-2019, 06:45 AM
I purchased my RC back in the 70s. It is as smooth and works just as good as it ever did. I have used the feature of the removable bushing and use standard die sets at 7/8", 1", and the large shotshell dies in mine all the time and it always works for me. The only problem I have ever had on mine is the window opening above the shell holder is too short for the really long cartridge cases such as the 45-120, and the 505Gibbs. I purchased the ammo-master for that sort of work. I use both regularly. My bottom line is they just work and work well.

Zingger
09-13-2019, 07:04 AM
While I am certain that there are a good number of members who have reloaded more than I have, I prefer the original RC over my RCIV. The RCIV liked to cam over when the RC wouldn't. If you are loading up a magnum, the IV would be a good option. If your diet of brass will only go to the 30-06 length the RC will do everything and more. If you are in search of a RCIV, let me know. It is currently taking up space in a box.

Petrol & Powder
09-13-2019, 07:13 AM
I called RCBS on Tuesday, Sept. 10, the day after I read the post saying the "ball handle" was available for the RC. RCBS wants $17.95 for the handle, made by AmmoMaster (not RCBS), and $21.95 for shipping. So, for $40.00 (+/-) you can get it through RCBS. I did not.

Who sells one for $10.00?
Midwayusa - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013065637?pid=778923

The reviews show that several people adapted this to other press handles, including RCBS and Lyman.

Conditor22
09-13-2019, 01:44 PM
I've been happy with my RC IV

This is an interesting read --
THE HISTORY OF HANDLOADING: NOT JUST A FAD ANYMORE
Author: Brian Pearce / Wolfe Publishing Co.
Date: Apr 07 2016

https://loaddata.com/Article/LoadDevelopment/The-History-of-Handloading-Not-Just-a-Fad-Anymore/448

RCBS WAS FOUNDED FROM A HOBBY BY FRED T. HUNTINGTON IN 1943 IN OROVILLE, CA
RCBS was founded in 1943 by Fred T. Huntington in Oroville, California. Huntington was a dedicated shooter, but found it difficult to obtain quality varmint bullets. However, after reading about making a die to swage .22 rimfire cartridge cases to form jackets for bullets, he began to craft his own dies in the back room of his father’s Oroville laundry and dry-cleaning business. Because the resulting bullets were used to shoot rock chucks – a varmint of Western North America – he named them Rock Chuck Bullet Swage dies, later shortened to RCBS.

RCBS soon outgrew this modest beginning in the back of a laundromat, and by 1948 Huntington relocated to a small shop. The business continued to grow rapidly, spilling into his garage and then a new building in 1954. By 1958, RCBS was expanding again, first to a 7,500-square-foot factory that quickly grew to 50,000 square feet. As the years passed, more expansions have occurred, but RCBS stayed near its roots. Today, Oroville is still RCBS’ home for state-of-the-art production.

RCBS was acquired by Omark Industries in July 1976 and became part of the Sporting Equipment Division. In 1985, Omark Industries was purchased by Blount, Inc. Alliant Techsystems (ATK) purchased RCBS in 2001. In 2015, Vista Outdoor Inc. spun-off from ATK as a leading provider of outdoor sports and recreation products. And while RCBS no longer manufactures bullet-swaging dies, we are the leading manufacturer of ammunition reloading equipment for rifles and pistols, offering reloading equipment throughout the world.

Land Owner
09-13-2019, 03:40 PM
Midwayusa - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013065637?pid=778923

The reviews show that several people adapted this to other press handles, including RCBS and Lyman.

...and 5 years ago it was only $7.50. The RBCS one I quoted above comes with an offset steel handle too.

Petrol & Powder
09-14-2019, 08:21 AM
I'm sure a Ball End could be added to just about any press handle.

Land Owner
09-22-2019, 04:25 AM
Max (Brett) - if you are still reading this thread - 4X4 shell plates received. Please send me another PM. I had deleted all previous and now cannot find your handle to thank you properly.