PDA

View Full Version : What is your method for keeping records?

Michael J. Spangler
09-08-2019, 01:55 PM
I always use the black and white speckled composition books.
I try to write down as much info as I can
Brass head stamp or mixed
bullet
alloy if cast
size if cast
lube or coating if cast
powder and charge weight
OAL
primer
also I like to write down what the source for the data was and if I had to extrapolate or use load data to get info on the charge. Say like using a Lyman 453423 (240grain) in place of a Lyman 454424 (250 grain) making notes on the bullet seating depth (combustion chamber) and bullet weight. In this case a lighter bullet with basically the same amount of bullet in the case so it's a safe bet to use the data.

The I'll leave room at the bottom of notes and results after range trips. Filling the pages in between with stuff that I noticed such as S&B brass sucks due to tight primers or thinner case necks on certain brands of 30/30 brass.

I don't write down every batch of 38s I make because it's mostly the Lyman 358156 cast out of the same alloy with the same lube, powder charge and primer. I know it works and its been noted in the book so I won't bother writing down every batch I make.

In order to sort that all out and label all of my loads I use the load data stickers that come with the MTM boxes and leave the notes in with the loaded ammo so I don't mix up different loads that look the same visually. Dropping the label in the box so I don't have a sticker mess on the box.

What is your method for keeping records and keeping all the reloads sorted out?

M-Tecs
09-08-2019, 02:22 PM
Microsoft Excel and printed labels.

poppy42
09-08-2019, 03:47 PM
I do the same as you do White speckled composition book

Winger Ed.
09-08-2019, 03:54 PM
I keep a record book for reference to cal. specific load data.
The charge, the boolit, and which weapon its for.

The loaded ammo itself is in zip-loc bags.
Their info is written on the back of the wrapper for the primers used for them, and stuck inside.

T_McD
09-08-2019, 04:10 PM
I have given up in keeping records in one place and instead use index cards or labels for individual ammo boxes. That means I potentially lose old load data but I also try and settle on a particular load for a given caliber, so it suits me fine.

Bazoo
09-08-2019, 04:20 PM
I use a loose leaf binder. I assign each batch of rifle cases a lot number and have a sheet of paper for each that has times loaded, headstamp, the load used, ect. Then I also have a sheet for each caliber I load, where I record loads tried, various bullets and powders and the results. Notes on anything of value. I only have one gun in each caliber I load for currently, but I would keep separate notes for each gun, and also which loads worked well in each on the caliber page. I also keep a sheet for each gun as to springs/parts replaced, problems I've had and the resolution. And I keep a sheet on each mould as to what it likes or quirks. I might also keep a sheet with ideas to try for any of the above.

ShooterAZ
09-08-2019, 04:25 PM
I use the small 5" x 7" spiral notebooks, one for each caliber I load. Been doing it that way for years, old school I guess.

KCSO
09-08-2019, 06:16 PM
Just plain old wire bound note books I have kept data there since 1970. Before that I made lines and notes in the loading manual I had and old Ideal.

waco
09-08-2019, 07:49 PM
I write down all load data on index cards and store them by caliber in a plastic recipe box. Works quite well.

bmortell
09-08-2019, 08:22 PM
Got a 50 cent notebook and taped tabs on it for different sections
Also helps to just not throw away paper targets, write some info on them and stack em up for when your trying to remember later

Gtek
09-08-2019, 08:39 PM
The serious stuff I have segregated notebooks for Rifle, Pistol, BP with details. The Ammo boxes have identification/SN of piece on end stickers and specifics on 3x5's in lids including X's loaded, with the majority of rifles having their own brass. May be overboard but works for me, ladder chase at range just draw vertical lines on card and work through box.

JBinMN
09-08-2019, 08:47 PM
I use the same Black/White Speckled COmposition book. I do not use the same data though.

Mine is mostly grain weight of projectile, what powder used & best accuracy with that powder & weight in grains.

Example entry: 45ACP 230 gr./ Red Dot / 4.7 gr. - most accurate.

Meaning I only keep what "works for me", at the time, not what "did not work".

I keep data on my boxes of ammo with all the usual info as is on a data sheet sticker for individual boxes & for testing purposes.

I try to K.I.S.S..

YMMV as seen & read here.
:)

samari46
09-08-2019, 11:10 PM
Stenographers pads or notebooks. Frank

Bazoo
09-08-2019, 11:38 PM
I write info on index cards for each bag of ammo, and use stickers on boxes. Each includes the caliber in large print, and in small print the batch, loading and times fired.

Often I don't keep track of pistol ammos time fired.

I generally only keep a brief note on what didn't work or what worked best. Example, tried powder x 30-36 grains, 32 showed best accuracy but 34 was close and trajectory equalled factory ammo.

I do occasionally keep paper targets. I cut them to fit and hole them into my binder.

Texas by God
09-08-2019, 11:43 PM
I don’t keep records; that way I “discover”new pet loads frequently. Again. I think.

watkibe
09-09-2019, 12:53 AM
I have reloaded too long to mess with any but the simplest systems that captures the vital info. I print one form for the caliber, one date/load per row, and all the vitals in columns, to include COAL, load data, velocity, spread, and SD, primer type/brand, etc. When I buy rifle brass, I assign it to an MTM box marked with caliber only, where it lives from then on. I only load the whole box at a time, so I keep track of times loaded. I keep a small "brass traveler" card with the box, showing firings, trimmings, flash hole deburr, case mouth chamfer/deburr.
When making bullets, I also use a bullet traveler showing if it's lubed, actual weight, actual diameter, alloy, sized, diameter if so. Finally, I keep a small label inside each box identifying the load. So that's it, four forms. (I didn't list all the data recorded on the forms for clarity's sake.)
I keep the printed forms, filled by hand, in 3 ring binders.

44Blam
09-09-2019, 01:29 AM
I keep all my field notes and cards in a notebook where I have tabs for each caliber.
It is super important that you note the loads you shoot because 4 or 10 years from now you will simply forget...
I met a guy at the long range the other day that said he was getting into reloading. I showed him my book and said "The quicker you get a book, the better.". He didn't look like he got it, but hopefully he did.

Went2kck
09-09-2019, 06:16 AM
loose leaf note book. printed log in each ammo container. One for the bullet cast and one for finished load with powder and its weight, bullet and its weight, sized to diameter over all length. Also have a comment section for what the load did and weather to load it again.

pworley1
09-09-2019, 07:04 AM
I also use the loose leaf binder.

Rick Hodges
09-09-2019, 07:26 AM
Loose leaf binder with pages made up with Excel with the information I want to capture. I have a tab for each caliber.

RU shooter
09-09-2019, 07:42 AM
I just tell my wife she never forgets anything ! Lol

If I'm working up something new I also use the composition notebook but I try not to experiment too much these days I find a load that works as needed and stick with it

Cherokee
09-09-2019, 09:11 AM
Microsoft Word, one document for each load with every batch recorded with all details, plus range results. Been doing it for 40 years. YMMV

JoeJames
09-09-2019, 11:02 AM
Loose leaf 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 3 ring binder notebook - half size of letter size typing paper. Tabs for each caliber I shoot with pictures, and all information on all firearms I am currently shooting. I print our letter size targets, with lined space for all reloading info, and which revolver or rifle I was shooting. Then I scan in the target down to where it will fit on the page. That way I can go back and check the best loads, etc.

WardT
09-09-2019, 01:15 PM
3 ring loose leaf binder

TNsailorman
09-09-2019, 03:04 PM
Cheap wallyworld 3 ring notebook.

RogerDat
09-09-2019, 06:12 PM
Load data on index cards. One by caliber and one by powder. For example .223 has a card with loads using Varget and BL-C(2) and the Varget card has that same Varget load, the BL-C(2) card has that load.

Not sure why but I started that way so I try to keep it up. Can look at a powder card and see what loads I use it for, can look at a caliber card and see what powders I might use.

Cast go in baggies with piece of index card recording at least the caliber & weight. Mold too. Probably alloy. Date of casting. Sometimes even a bit of casting info such as the melt temp. I tend to cast more when a baggie gets low so the card with it provides a quick reference to what I want to do to make more of that specific cast bullet. The date covers age hardening which I don't really care that much about in most cases but it also tells me how long that batch lasted. Can help me decide how many to make next time, or give me an excuse to get a mold with more cavities.

You know the conversation with self at the bench. Hmmm I made 400 of these less than 3 months ago, maybe the 4 or 6 cavity mold would be a good investment to supplement the 2 cavity I have. Maybe I should order it right away before I make more! Yeah that would be smart. Surely the dear wife will see the wisdom of such a purchase.... :-)

lightman
09-09-2019, 07:26 PM
Years ago I made a spreadsheet that was similar to the MTM ammo log. I keep them in a large 3 ring binder. Its large enough that I can put targets in it if I want. I'll also staple chromo tapes to some of the targets.

Conditor22
09-09-2019, 07:34 PM
I keep my results on an Excel file, working up loads, I store boolit, powder, charge distance and group size of the high charge, low charge and best load.

Rooster
09-09-2019, 10:34 PM
Old school scientist here (not too mad, most of the time) with a bound laboratory bench book. Think heavy-duty composite notebook. I put hard data on one side and leave the other side open for field notes. I use a numbered lot system that I mark on the ammo box/can etc. to keep it referenced to the book. I've gone through too many computers that crashed and burned to trust those evil things to keep my important data in.

megasupermagnum
09-09-2019, 10:59 PM
For most loads, I use a note card, and stick it in the ammo box with the loaded ammo. For more serious work, or chronograph results, I use a Rite in the Rain notebook. They are not messing around, You can write on that notebook in a thunderstorm, I've done it.

lead-1
09-09-2019, 11:13 PM
Mostly load data on file cards put in a recipe card box, ammo gets ID'ed with a sharpie marker on the box or on masking tape.

winelover
09-10-2019, 07:09 AM
Three ring loose leaf binders, full of targets. All pertinent information printed on target, including date, time and weather information. Some firearms have their own dedicated binder. Tabs separate bullet styles and different powders, tried.

Winelover.

whisler
09-10-2019, 07:26 PM
Three ring binder with a tab for each caliber. I started with a composition notebook with loaded entered sequentially but found it hard to retrieve specific load date with that method so I switched.

BNE
09-10-2019, 07:38 PM
Loose leaf binder with pages made up with Excel with the information I want to capture. I have a tab for each caliber.

This is what I do also. I have a column for velocity and a comment column. I comment on how the load worked, and what I liked or didn't like. It really saves me a lot of time when I am trying to figure out what I want to build next. Some calibers are now 3-4 pages full of different trials.

BNE

GhostHawk
09-10-2019, 08:52 PM
I hate handwriting, so I keep all of mine as text or .rtf files on the computer. Each caliber has its own file. Once every few years I print the works and stick them in a 3 ring binder so I have a hard copy backup. I also have a backup on a flash drive, DVD, etc.

Notes get added after range sessions.

jimb16
09-10-2019, 09:06 PM
Hand written records in spiral bound note books. You can get them cheap a couple weeks after school starts. Leftovers!

44Blam
09-10-2019, 10:58 PM
I have a binder with little tabs for each caliber. Put the info I put in is my testing and my "final" load for a particular projectile / powder. I do this for each combo but that means I end up with a couple pages/caliber and I just reference it when I go to load something I haven't loaded in a while. For instance, I haven't loaded my Unique 44 Magnum load recently, so I flipped to the page, saw my testing and the load that I circled. Yep - 8.5 grain for the 240 grain 43-240A boolit.
Now I am ready for the pistol section of the match this weekend! :D
Funny enough, my PB boolits are all RED and my GC boolits are all BLUE... So, I need to load some mackers just because I really like shooting those... But if a casual observer were to pick up a box of boolits and sees the RED ones - they may think those are the bangers - and then the BLUE ones are the "nice" ones.... BUT NO! You can shoot the red ones in a comp, but the blue ones are gonna make everyone around you say "what the ***** was that?!?"

TNsailorman
09-10-2019, 11:39 PM
I have a 3 ring notebook/binder for each rifle and handgun that I own. I put targets that I have shot with all the information written on the target in the notebook. I also have a section with nothing but recommended handloads for reference. Works for me. james

DukeInFlorida
09-11-2019, 05:18 AM
Excel spreadsheets, including notes transferred from manual notes going back to early 70's. I keep safe backups, just in case. I include field notes, etc. I make note of every time I reload a cartridge, even if it's the 20th time I reloaded the exact same load. I also include "load development" notes. That way, I never have to re-invent that wheel. My development notes include custom calculations used from chronograph results (toss high or toss low, or average all, etc).

smithnframe
09-11-2019, 07:43 AM
Records???

trapper9260
09-11-2019, 08:20 AM
I have my on index cards with the cartridge and then what the boolit is size to and then the billet mold , then OAL and then Powder then what powder and weights that works. then primer and if for the 308 win if it is regular brass or LC brass. and what the BHN at times that was used for some of them then add some notes on the bottom if need to like light load or sound like or like 22lr .Also put if the data is for semi auto or bolt . The spacers I put the cartridge that it is for or gauge . That I do not need to count on the computer or anything like that . It is there all the time. Works for me .

rond
09-11-2019, 09:49 AM
I write caliber, boolit weight, powder and charge weight on masking tape and stick it on the box or jar

David2011
09-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Loose leaf binder with my own Excel spreadsheets. Includes load data and accuracy test information. Rifle ammo is stored in plastic cases and most pistol ammo is bagged in heavy poly bags, then in USGI ammo boxes. Each batch is accompanied by an index card with the load data for the batch. On some calibers like .40 S&W I have two standard loads. For steel plate I use a 165 grain SWC and for USPSA the boolit is a 180 truncated cone so they’re easy to tell apart.

Michael J. Spangler
09-15-2019, 07:39 PM
I don't load any precisions cartridges really so I don't bother with how many times fired but when I was loading the 300 RUM I had all my brass marked.
I found a sharpie dot on the case head stayed on for a long time.

white eagle
09-15-2019, 08:49 PM
I keep my targets shot
I write down load data on target
punch 3 holes in the target and put them in 3 ring binder

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-15-2019, 09:09 PM
I use notebooks.

I keep a log for every casting session, so all my boolits have a batch number, so I can go back to my notebook and confirm alloy and age and sometimes I take several hardness readings over the age. Some stuff gets loaded right away, so this seems pointless, but other stuff seemingly never gets loaded...then it's real important to have that info tied to a batch number.

I keep another log for each batch of ammo loaded. I load lots of pistol ammo, in several calibers. Besides the usual load data and boolit info and case prep history...I also keep detailed info about the equipment used. I use the Lee auto-disk measure, so I like to have the cc of the disk used, and also the dies used and expanding inserts. This became more important when I started casting my own, and loading boolits, whereas when I just loaded J-words, it wasn't necessary to be so detailed.

I keep another log with nearly every range visit where I drag out the chrono. I like having all the details and target (or target descriptions).

joebaja
09-16-2019, 11:29 PM
I write the basic load data (boolit, powder, oal) on a piece of painters tape and stick that to the ziplock with the samples. When I get to the range I peel the tape and put it on the target. When I get home the target goes in a 3-ring binder and the complete load data and chrono results get entered into a simple database app that I wrote. I periodically export and print out the data and put that in the binder for the inevitable day that Mr Murphy's Law fries my hard-drive.

FerricOxide
09-18-2019, 11:05 PM
I like to use the label stickers that you get with some plastic ammo boxes. Keeps track of whatever is in them at the moment load wise, how many reloads, etc. I use erasable pen or pencil on the labels because I usually use the same brass over and over when testing different loads. Mostly just change the powder load amounts.

I figure I'll start keeping a notebook of pet loads and crono data now that I've got a chrono to play with.

tankgunner59
09-21-2019, 06:05 PM
I bought several MTM ammo boxes for each caliber when I started reloading. They come with Load labels that can be stuck on by peeling the paper backing off. Instead of sticking them on the boxes, I taped enough of them together on a sheet of paper and made copies. Now when I load a batch I fill out a paper load label and put inside over the rounds, after firing the rounds I file the labels. I also keep my reloading records on my computer and I print them and file them in binders by firearms. (One for rifle loads, one for pistols and one for shotguns)

GARD72977
09-22-2019, 09:04 AM
I try to remember......

Dancing Bear
09-22-2019, 09:52 AM
Three ring binder. I also record the recommended powder range and recoil/accuracy.

Thin Man
09-23-2019, 06:19 AM
I use a 3-ring binder with individual pages (1 or more as needed) arranged first by caliber moving from smallest to largest, then by individual firearm used for the test. Rifles and handguns are under separate tabs. Data includes all component detail, velocity is noted if the chronograph is used, also group size and range distance. Rarely will I insert weather conditions (temperature, wind, etc.). Inside the die boxes I keep duplicate data for those loads that have worked the best in a particular firearm (this to avoid having to send out the search party to find it when needed). Simple and handy so long as I remember to jot down the most recent tests. Test targets may appear between pages when really good results justify this.

waksupi
09-23-2019, 12:37 PM
I generally keep targets scattered around in the cabin, on the reloading bench, some out in the shop, some on the floor of the pickup. About 3/4 of them actually have useful load information on them, the rest have received the "Oh, I'll remember that" treatment. Locating any particular target entails a search of all forenamed areas.

Other than that, I do have the cool little Gunloads reloading booklets I keep for each firearm. I also use stick on data sheets Fatnhappy made for me inside the cartridge boxes.

robg
09-25-2019, 05:04 PM
Keep the targets with boolits weight load etc ,clip into Sierra Manual for that caliber .also have a note book with loads tried in the various calibers with group size notes etc.