PDA

View Full Version : Big bullets

abunaitoo
09-08-2019, 03:54 AM
Got a chance to pull these out.
Had a bee problem, and decided to tidy up the room.
Got these a while ago.
If anyone knows anything about them, that would be nice.
If anyone has the shell and firearm for it, maybe we can try and shoot them.:bigsmyl2:

remy3424
09-08-2019, 06:28 PM
I am not sure "big" is quite right....frickin huge might be better. So what are/were these??? Guess they weren't projectiles or they were fired from a battleship. Are they brass?

Winger Ed.
09-08-2019, 07:14 PM
Put 'Six inch Naval Gun' in a search engine. They pop right up.

It was a British Naval and coastal defense gun from the 1890s or so up until about the 1950's.

It was the smallest shell that still used a separate silk bag of powder-- or cordite instead of the common case/projectile
we're used to looking at.

There's some of the guns in museums, but most have already been melted down for sewer pipe or re-bar rods.

samari46
09-08-2019, 11:31 PM
I don't think that they are made out of cast iron or steel. Looking at the staining on the projectile it looks more copper or brass alloy. Then again I could be wrong. Some artillary or cannon projectiles had what they wind screens on the projectiles for better ballistics. To the OP tried a magnet on them?. Frank

abunaitoo
09-09-2019, 07:57 PM
I think they are brass.
If copper, wouldn't they be green by now???
They are heavy, heavy, heavy.
They just might be for a coastal gun.
We had a few on island way back then.
Stamping on them is FT. KAM
There was a Fort Kamehameha near the entrance to Pearl Harbor, on Hickam .

samari46
09-10-2019, 12:25 AM
Just think you may have your answer. However see if google may have some old pics stored away. They had some disappearing 10" guns on Grande Island in the Phillipines that were to go to the Smithonian. We were there when we did our Westpac cruise and I took some pics.About 30 years later someone posted pics of similar guns being mounted in a fort on the west coast. Something seemed similar to the guns I had pics of. I made copies and sent them to one of the members on that site who did some work as a forensic exhaminer.He concluded they were indeed the same ones.Serial numbers and shrapnel scars on the barrels matched. Frank

abunaitoo
09-11-2019, 02:39 AM
At Fort DeRussy, they were plane to get a disappearing gun from the philipines.
Fort had them, but were taken out and cut up.
Years later, they got a coastal gun that was at beach at Waikiki.
Plans fell through.
They wanted some bells back in exchange.
Bells were taken during WWII.
My thinking is that these were for one of the disappearing gun at Fort Kamehameha.

R-71
02-02-2020, 09:50 AM

samari46
02-04-2020, 02:59 AM
What I think you have is the windscreens which were put on artillary shells to give better aerodynamics in flight. Frank