PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my thread??????????????????

leadhead
09-07-2019, 02:23 PM
I've had two threads deleted in the last two days concerning a Hollywood
loading press that I was trying to get some kind of price range on.
Did I do something wrong that I wasn't aware of?
Denny

15meter
09-07-2019, 04:44 PM
My understanding is that asking for an approximate value is not allowed. I think it's viewed as skirting the rules about selling only in the sales area, trying to get a larger audience.

If you are indeed just trying to come up with an approximate value just out of curiosity, a PM to someone who collects them might get you an answer. I'm not aware of any restrictions on asking questions privately.

If there is perhaps a moderator who knows, they could enlighten us all.

ShooterAZ
09-07-2019, 06:08 PM
15meter is correct. Another moderator deleted them for the reasons stated above. Since you stated that you wanted to sell it, we consider that to be a "Feeler Thread". Feeler threads are not allowed.

From the rules:

Feeler Threads - Feeler threads are NOT allowed. Feeler threads are nothing more than WTS threads in disguise. Posting of a "feeler thread" will result in an infraction being issued.

My advice is to check some of the auction sites, or perhaps use the Google search function for value. Once you get an idea for the value, then you can list it in Swap & Sell. Hope this helps.

mdi
09-07-2019, 06:35 PM
Check your messages. Every time I got spanked, the mods. let me know why...

leadhead
09-07-2019, 07:28 PM
Well, thanks for the insight...... I didn't know that and was not my intention.
Denny

15meter
09-07-2019, 10:49 PM
Which brings up the question of how to come up with a fair value on an item, there have been times I've either been offered something for purchase or found it on a site like Craigslist and not had a clue what it was worth.

It would be nice to develop an appraisal/guesstimate thread.

Perhaps being locked out of the selling thread for 60 days after a posting in "I have this old......" What's it worth thread?

Land Owner
09-08-2019, 12:08 AM
As the TV ad said: "I got you a dollar!" and when you go to reach for it, they pull it away with, "Oooh, you've got to be quicker than that!"

mdi
09-08-2019, 10:49 AM
Hmmm, maybe not? There's a thread on the Casting and Reloading Hand Tools sub forum since 9/1 asking what a bunch of molds and casting stuff is worth. Got a few replies and no slapped wrists...

ReloaderFred
09-08-2019, 11:28 AM
The thread mdi is referring to is asking what a poster should offer to buy a large lot of casting equipment, not to sell. That's the difference between the two threads, buying and mentioning selling an item.

Hope this helps.

Fred

mdi
09-08-2019, 04:26 PM
I get it; buying OK, selling nope...

Minerat
09-08-2019, 06:51 PM
Nope, one cannot offer to buy or sell outside S&S.

ReloaderFred
09-08-2019, 09:05 PM
I should have been clearer in my explanation. In the thread mdi referenced, the OP is asking for the value of something he wishes to buy that is completely separate from this forum. He's asking for opinions on what he should offer the person who has something to sell, but the items aren't connected in any way to this forum. He's tapping into the expertise and experience of his fellow members in his quest to buy something that has no connection to the forum.

On castboolits, it's against the rules to offer to sell, or offer to buy, any item outside of the S&S section of the forum, and then the there are rules for doing so. When someone posts and asks the value of an item in any other sub-forum, and mentions that he "might sell" it, that's considered a fishing thread, and isn't allowed. When someone offers to buy an item in an open forum, that's also against the rules. All transactions in the open forum must be conducted in S&S, with no exceptions.

You've also got to realize that all the moderators are just like the rest of the members. It's impossible to read every post in every thread, since we're all unpaid volunteers. That's why we depend a lot of times on members reporting violations or offensive posts. That's done via the little triangle in the lower left corner of every post. You just hover your mouse over it, and it will say "report post". When you click on it, it will open another window where it will ask for more information and then you click on "send report", and it will go to all the moderators. Once a post is reported, the moderators will discuss the post and make a decision on whether to delete it, issue an infraction, or to just let it stand. That way, several sets of eyes look at the issue and discuss it. When a conclusion is come to, we're all in agreement as to what action to take, if any.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Conditor22
09-08-2019, 09:11 PM
Correction looking to see if an outside source (craigslist, offer up, e-bay, gun broker, cousin slim) is asking a fair price for an item and whether or not it's a good deal for you to buy is OK.

Asking what you already own is worth --- not so much you need to do the leg work. google XXXX for sale, look on gunbroker, search the item on CB search bar, ask a local gun shop what it's worth, or?????

jmorris
09-08-2019, 09:39 PM
I think you can’t have more than one question mark...:)

Springfield
09-08-2019, 10:20 PM
If really in doubt, auctions are allowed here, last I checked. Or you can ask what you think is too much and keep lowering the price until it sells.

mdi
09-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Humm. I'll just ignore any "what's it worth" and "I wanna get rid of" threads. Rules almost sound like "lawyerspeak"...:veryconfu

So no business, buying, selling (renting, give-aways, loans, etc.) conducted outside SS forum?