PDA

View Full Version : Lee rifle factory collet crimp die -- all the same body with different caliber collet

15meter
09-06-2019, 09:21 PM
Thinking about a collet crimp die for a 7x61 Sharpe & Hart. It's not a listed item.

Is it possible to buy a 375 H&H and a 7x57 factory crimp die and just swap collets when I need to do the Sharpe & Hart?

Or should I just listen to the mother-in-law and stop trying to think?

Nueces
09-06-2019, 09:55 PM
I've had Lee make custom collet crimpers (33 Winchester, etc). Look on their custom page for particulars. I think they wanted a couple of sized cases, which they did not return. Dies work great.

Gregorious
09-06-2019, 10:49 PM
https://leeprecision.com/custom-services/custom-factory-crimp-dies/

EDG
09-07-2019, 12:34 AM
No need to piece something together. Get a 7mm Rem Mag collet crimp die and cut the base of the collet off enough (.106") to work on the 7X61 S&H.

44magLeo
09-08-2019, 01:30 PM
I had to look through my Lee FCD's to see how they compare. The bodies all look the same on the out side. The collets are different lengths. So swapping the collets around might not work.
I don't load for belted cases , so I don't know just how much of the case goes up in the collet. I assume it works the same as a non belted case and the collet fits down around the whole case to touch the shell holder.
If this is so then the 7x57 collet wont work with a belted case. Also from looking at my FCD's the collet is cut very close to the case size in the rest of the collet as well as at the crimp. This holds the case straight while crimping. The 7x61 S&H is larger in diameter than the 7x57 case. I don't think you would get the bigger case in the smaller collet with out sizing the case down.
Modifying the 7 mm REM or ordering a custom die sounds like the best approach.
Leo

15meter
09-08-2019, 10:57 PM
I had to look through my Lee FCD's to see how they compare. The bodies all look the same on the out side. The collets are different lengths. So swapping the collets around might not work.
I don't load for belted cases , so I don't know just how much of the case goes up in the collet. I assume it works the same as a non belted case and the collet fits down around the whole case to touch the shell holder.
If this is so then the 7x57 collet wont work with a belted case. Also from looking at my FCD's the collet is cut very close to the case size in the rest of the collet as well as at the crimp. This holds the case straight while crimping. The 7x61 S&H is larger in diameter than the 7x57 case. I don't think you would get the bigger case in the smaller collet with out sizing the case down.
Modifying the 7 mm REM or ordering a custom die sounds like the best approach.
Leo

Thanks, I have almost zero experience with the Lee collet die, I thought the collet was ground to the specific case profile but wasn't sure.

Guess it's time to stop thinking.

EDG
09-09-2019, 01:27 AM
There are 2 different Lee collet dies - a neck sizer and the factory crimp die.
Neither one is a close fit to the case body.

Thanks, I have almost zero experience with the Lee collet die, I thought the collet was ground to the specific case profile but wasn't sure.

Guess it's time to stop thinking.

AntiqueSledMan
09-09-2019, 06:24 AM
Gentlemen,

LEE used to list all the spare parts on their web page, no longer. I have made a list of different bodies & collets for the Factory Crimp Die. Looks like 4 different bodies, Extra Short - 218 Bee to 45 Colt, Short - 460 S&W to 223 Rem, Medium - 300 Sav to 303 Brit, Long - 30-40 Krag & longer. Collets need to match case length while cartridge is sitting in a shell holder, as the shell holder is what is activating the collet. To remove collet, place it in a single stage press from the bottom and push a rod or bolt into it with the ram. There has been lots of modifications on these dies, just do a little searching.

Hope this helps, AntiqueSledMan.