PDA

View Full Version : Neck size .300 Savage

DonHowe
09-06-2019, 08:00 AM
Will Lee .308 collet die work?
I have no experience with collet neck size dies.

trixter
09-12-2019, 04:56 PM
I have no experience with trying different than 'designed for' dies, I would say buy the right one for the right caliber. Just one man's opinion.
Safety is not that expensive.

RickinTN
09-13-2019, 08:21 PM
The best I can tell Lee doesn't offer a .300 Savage collet neck die although they may make a one-off for you. I expect it would be pricey. I compared the cartridge drawings of the two and it appeared it would work. I then mounted my .308 Winchester collet die in my press and proceeded to neck size a piece of .300 Savage brass. It does work although it only sizes about the upper 2/3 of the neck. When neck sizing with bushing dies this is about all I size anyway leaving the bottom portion of the neck at fired diameter to assist in keeping the cartridge centered in the chamber. So to directly answer your question: Yes it will.
A word of caution on Lee collet neck dies if you've never used one. The instructions included with the die are in error. Never set the die deeper than one turn after it contacts the shell holder no matter what brand of press you are using. I usually find that 3/4 of a turn or a touch more is sufficient.
Good Luck to you,
Rick

AntiqueSledMan
09-16-2019, 05:47 AM
Hello Don,

I would think you should be able to trim the collet of the .308 die to work with the .300.
Only a difference of 0.0613".

tazman
09-16-2019, 06:59 AM
You could also do it the old fashioned way. Back in the days before specialty dies we would simply unscrew the sizing die a little bit so that it didn't contact the case body and sized only the neck portion.
This still works. Collet dies are nice but for people on a budget or who can't find appropriate dies, this is a simple way to do it.

DonHowe
09-16-2019, 10:16 AM
Thank you Rick! This is precisely the info I hoped for. The .300 neck after sizing in .308 collet die is about what a case neck looks like after sizing in my Wilson .30-06 bushing die.
The .300 Savage is a low buck project thus the cost of a custom die is out of the question. A Lee RGB set + a .308 collet die would likely be half the cost of a custom die.
Most people do not realize that .300 Savage is essentially the same as .308 except for neck length and shoulder angle.