PDA

View Full Version : So today I....

TaylorS
09-06-2019, 12:07 AM
So today I got the heel base sizing die in and I went and set it up on this brand new Lyman 4500 I bought a while back when I was mad at the wife and filled it with my black powder lube which made a huge mess. Once I got the pressure cap back on first round I sized pulled the case apart when the case hung up on the top punch. For those that don’t mess with heeled bullets the die is cut for the nose profile of the bullet and the top punch is set up to secure the base of the cartridge with this particular set up. Spewed powder everywhere btw so got all that free and cleaned up and ended up getting 11 cartridges ready to fire. One question I noticed on the first few that worked I was getting small bits of shavings like from machining the lubesizer. This new one seemed pretty rough compared to my other unit but I’ve also only used second hand dies until this set. Was there a clean out step I missed in the setup or am I being finicky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AntiqueSledMan
09-06-2019, 05:34 AM
Hello TaylorS,

I had an issues with heeled bullets, try dry sizing them before loading & lubing.

https://1858remington.com/index.php?topic=8675.0

AntiqueSledMan.

TaylorS
09-06-2019, 10:24 AM
The rest of them I did went smoothly I think that first one was dry and cocked in the punch so it all hung up on the way out. I’ll repack it and try again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdi
09-06-2019, 11:11 AM
You are running loaded cartridges through your lubersizer? Never messed with heeled bullets...

Baltimoreed
09-06-2019, 12:14 PM
I turn my .38 long heel base loads upside down and run them through my lubrisizer and lube them that way. Works.

mdi
09-06-2019, 01:23 PM
Thanks, didn't know that...

AntiqueSledMan
09-07-2019, 06:17 PM
Hey Guys,

I switched to Aliant Black MZ in my 44 Colt, no need for lube with that stuff.

AntiqueSledMan.

Wayne Smith
09-08-2019, 08:37 PM
Taylor, are you talking about a boolit sizing die or a heeled boolit crimp die? There should be no powder associated with a boolit sizing die.

What lubesizer are you using?