PDA

View Full Version : Recoil pad for a crecent butt plate

catkiller45
11-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Ok,so i'm a wimp when shooting full throttle loads on my 45-120....I am wondering if anyone here knows of anyone out there that makes a pad for the crescent butt
stock....Thanks...John

missionary5155
11-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Greetings I weigh a whole 155 and my Cresent 45-70 Winny with 405 lead boolits flat hurts o na hot Tshirt day. I have a slip-on pad I use.. Paid $1 at a gunshow for it. It may not be pretty but it is only used for several HOT days. I use a similar one on my Rolling Block 45-70 that is long chambered for 500 grain boolits.

Nueces
11-02-2008, 02:36 PM
John,

I agree with you, the rifle crescent is tough with a thumper. Never have I run across a pad for these butt plates. My shooting partner uses a rubber pullover pad on his Winchester '85 in 45-70. Looks a bit crummy and it won't fit all the way on, so there's air between the steel and the rubber, but he says it helps.

I use a Past recoil pad, worn on the shooting shoulder. It straps on sorta like a shoulder holster and places a pad of recoil absorbing gel between the butt plate and your soft pink body. It's comfortable and can be worn under a coat. It works very well for me.

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/past/

Midway carries 'em.

Mark

montana_charlie
11-02-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm wondering if you have a 'crescent butt' or a 'military butt'. They are similar enough that some guys get the two terms confused.

The ten-dollar recoil pads made for the Ruger 10-22 (I have one) look like there is a possibility that you could get a pretty nice fit (on a military butt) with only a small amount of modification...of the pad, not the rifle.

They aren't real 'cushy', but they aren't case-hardened steel, either.
CM

Heavy lead
11-02-2008, 03:36 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0012757221948a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=18&Ntk=Products&QueryText=recoil+pad&sort=all&Go.y=10&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&Go.x=26&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1
Have one on my 1886, snipped the corners out on top and bottom, takes the sting out , and doesn't look out of place IMO. Actually it works well.

Don McDowell
11-02-2008, 06:01 PM
I actually prefer the Limbsaver shooters shirt over a slip on recoil pad.
One other option you can try is one of the Past recoil pads.

montana_charlie
11-02-2008, 07:22 PM
One other option you can try is one of the Past recoil pads.
I bought a Past pad, but didn't like it. It's pretty thick, but not the deepest available. It really protects against discomfort, but it is so hard I couldn't shoot accurately.
Seems my groups would string to the left, and I decided the pad was so hard my rifle butt was slipping to the right at the shot.

I switched to the thinner, softer Bob Allen pad, and am quite happy, now.
CM

Scrounger
11-02-2008, 08:11 PM
For shooting off the bench, a sandbag between stock and shoulder takes all the pain away.

catkiller45
11-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Well it looks crescent to me..Half moon shape...top and bottom sharp as hell if it aint lined up on your shoulder...Don't know if the one from Cabelas would work or not..How is their return policy?

cajun shooter
11-02-2008, 09:08 PM
When a range officer at the Baton Rouge PD range we would sight in rifles for the public every hunting season. We had three sometimes 4 officers that relayed with each other. Even then over a 3 day period each would shoot more than 150 rifles with several rounds. We had the past pad which works for a while but as Scrounger pointed out nothing beat out a sand bag placed on the shoulder. When going to the FBI Sniper School we also did the same.

451whitworth
11-02-2008, 09:12 PM
For shooting off the bench, a sandbag between stock and shoulder takes all the pain away.

i actually made a specific sandbag recoil pad for shooting hard kicking cresent butt rifles. at first i tried a wood spacer and had Levergun Leather cover it and then fashion a slip on/ tie on leather butt pad. his workmanship was excellent but i got tired of moving it from rifle to rifle. so i took an old pair of jeans and cut the leg off from the knee down and sewed one end shut. then i sewed "baffles" long ways into the pant leg. these were nothing more than 4 rows of stiches to keep the sand in place. so basically when the leg was filled there were 4 tubes of sand that stand up the length of the bag. i filled it about 2/3 to 3/4 capacity so the sand can be shifted and it lays close to the shoulder as to keep the LOP from growing too much. i can drape it over my shoulder and shoot benchrest, English standing bench, or field positions with ease. no pain with the 50-110 wcf and 570gr. bullets.

Don McDowell
11-02-2008, 10:27 PM
I bought a Past pad, but didn't like it. It's pretty thick, but not the deepest available. It really protects against discomfort, but it is so hard I couldn't shoot accurately.
Seems my groups would string to the left, and I decided the pad was so hard my rifle butt was slipping to the right at the shot.

I switched to the thinner, softer Bob Allen pad, and am quite happy, now.
CM

I've got the thinner past pads, but really don't care for them except for just lobbing a few rounds down range. The biggest problem with them for me is they just don't stay in place the way they should.
The limbsaver shirt works well as the pad stays put.

All in all tho there is nothing save for revamping that stock to a hydraulic recoil system that is ever going to make a 120 comfortable to shoot with full powder loads.

boommer
11-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Beartooth products makes a slip over neoprene pad comes with 1/4' 3/8" 1/2" 5/8" high density foam inserts.I have two of them and for cresents they work great got mine at Gander Mtn. think they were 20.00$ I have tried the past and found with them too stiff and hard to get a repeatable anchor point and move around to much.

11-02-2008, 11:48 PM
If your stock is generous enough, you can drill out a hole under the butt plate to receive a mercury filled recoil reducer. Same available from Brownell's. The thing really works. Have added some to .45-70's, .375 H&H's, .458 Win Mags and .458 Lott's. It's s sealed metal cylinder partially filled with mercury. When the gun recoils, the tube, of course, moves backward with the gun (it has to be firmly afixed in place in the stock), but the liquid mercury doesn't move. As a mass, it slams into the reaward moving gun and eats a huge amout of recoil before it causes you a pain in the shoulder. I only mention this here as usually I find many have never heard of or used one.

montana_charlie
11-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Well it looks crescent to me..
What kind of rifle are you shooting...
CM

Springfield
11-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Get one of mine and put some ruber padding in it to suit your desires. Home Depot sells black rubber padding by the sheeet in different thicknesses. 40.00 for the leather buttstock cover. This is my new style with the rolled over edges so nothing bites ya. Made to fit specific guns, no generics.

catkiller45
11-03-2008, 07:44 PM
The rifle is the Browning traditional.. hunter model was 45-70 and some guy had it re chambered to the 45-120...I bought it from him..It is accurate as they come..At least for my intentions....I am shooting a 600 grain bullet....I like the longer bullet...

C1PNR
11-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Let's see if this works:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/purchase/products-found.jsp?_requestid=138149

OK, I saw this mentioned in a magazine article but I had a heck of a time finding it on Cabela's web site.

I got one for me to slip on my milsurp Ruskies, and Argentine Carbines, etc., and one for my Brother for his 1885 in 45-70.

They don't look like much, and you DO NOT want to leave them on your nicely finished stock (they tend to take the finish off the wood:eek:), but they do fit just about anything you want to try them on, and they greatly reduce the pain!:-D

This is one of those "tools" you use and then put away while no one is looking.:coffee:

montana_charlie
11-03-2008, 09:47 PM
The rifle is the Browning traditional.. hunter
I'd say that qualifies as 'crescent'...
I don't think the 10-22 pad would work.
CM

boommer
11-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Springfield that is one sharp looking pad ! Now is it 40.00$ for tooled pad or is that the deluxe model ?

Springfield
11-04-2008, 01:44 PM
40.00 for all of them, amount of tooling is your choice, no extra cost as long as it doesn't get too much more elaborate than the one shown. Springfield dba www.whyteleatherworks.com

BrentD
11-04-2008, 01:47 PM
In my case, I laminated some thick leather together. Then ground it to match the contours of the buttplate and finally laced a rifle sling over it, holding it in place. I needed the extralength, not the recoil protection for my .45-100.

Brent

jerrold
11-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Took a Past pad out of the harness and cut it about 1/8 in larger than the butt plate on my Pedersoli 45-90 and made a sleeve similar to the one pictured above with buffalo hide. It looks great and works very well:drinks:

Nrut
11-09-2008, 07:01 PM
catkiller45...
I duct tape some blue foam sleeping pad material on the crescent butt plate rifles that I have...any closed cell foam would work...
Or you could buy one of these pads...
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,169.html

Catshooter
11-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Springfield,

That is one sharp looking pad.

Nice web site!

Cat