PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Anual NES Massachusetts Cast Boolit Seminar

Michael J. Spangler
09-02-2019, 12:26 PM
Here is some info if anyone is interested in showing up.
If you're out of state and want to sign up and cast a bunch of boolits and don't have a MA license just pack them up and ship them back to your home.

This is a continuation of the DUKEINFLORIDA (formerly DUKEINMAINE) bullet casting seminar that has changed so many lives!! Thank you DUKE!!!

https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/2019-nes-cast-bullet-seminar-sign-up-thread.376266/

rancher1913
09-02-2019, 12:54 PM
neat concept, might need to clarify if you are supplying the raw lead or not for the entry fee.

Michael J. Spangler
09-02-2019, 01:43 PM
Hi rancher.
That should all be in the link. Basically the fee pays for your breakfast and lunch. Whatever bullets you can set when you get there you can keep. We’ve done the whole leave with 10 or 20 pounds of alloy before but it really was a waste. It was too much time and effort to source, clean and make ingots.
I would rather just let the guys leave with a couple handfuls of bullets that they cast, lubed and sized. Ready to load.

rancher1913
09-02-2019, 02:02 PM
I understood what you were getting at but your link says you can cast as much as you want and take them home with no mention as to where the raw material is coming from, just did not want a good idea to be ruined by a greedy attendee looking for a bunch of free boolits.

DukeInFlorida
09-02-2019, 02:05 PM
Michael,
Thanks for the mention. One of the great pleasures of my reloading life was to run the first few casting workshops. Thank for you keeping the tradition alive. The best way to reduce the cost of shooting is to cast and reload your own.

The OLD concept for the workshop was to demonstrate all of the steps for processing raw recycled lead into castable ingots, an then cast those into molds/bullets. It was indeed a long day in what always seemed to be hot days of late summer. There are links at the NES site with images and discussions about the early workshops. The first of which was at my home in Maine.

If you are anywhere near New England, and looking to learn how to cast your own, sign up ASAP.

Michael J. Spangler
09-02-2019, 02:22 PM
I understood what you were getting at but your link says you can cast as much as you want and take them home with no mention as to where the raw material is coming from, just did not want a good idea to be ruined by a greedy attendee looking for a bunch of free boolits.

Yeah you're right about that. I guess I should try to put a cap on it. With our time constraints and the fact that people will be learning and re melting as many bullets as they keep it seems to always be that people are leaving with about 5# or so of good bullets.

after the last few seminars guys have asked to spend a little more time on the coating/sizing/lubing aspect and also a little more in depth of the finer points of loading a cast bullet successfully, gallery loads, paper patching and all that jazz. So I'm hoping to spend over an hour on those topics too.

Michael J. Spangler
09-02-2019, 02:31 PM
Michael,
Thanks for the mention. One of the great pleasures of my reloading life was to run the first few casting workshops. Thank for you keeping the tradition alive. The best way to reduce the cost of shooting is to cast and reload your own.

The OLD concept for the workshop was to demonstrate all of the steps for processing raw recycled lead into castable ingots, an then cast those into molds/bullets. It was indeed a long day in what always seemed to be hot days of late summer. There are links at the NES site with images and discussions about the early workshops. The first of which was at my home in Maine.

If you are anywhere near New England, and looking to learn how to cast your own, sign up ASAP.

I've said it before I'll said it again. I've always felt that I can't pay back my mentors in the hobby. They were more than generous and anything I have to offer they have 3X the hoard of it than I have accumulated. So the best thing I can do to repay them is to pass on the knowledge to the next crowd.

We still try to keep to that format Duke but with a little more abbreviated segment on smelting. Doing 3 smelting sessions the way you used to was a serious long day.
We usually have less attendees the past could years too so we can walk everyone though the whole thing instead of breaking out into groups.
Which is nice because it can keep us on track in the order of operations and cuts down on some of the confusions as to why we're doing someone when group 1 starts out in the lubing and sizing session and they haven't learned the basic terminology yet.

DukeInFlorida
09-04-2019, 06:37 PM
Good points, Michael. I was learning HOW to do a seminar by improving each year we did them. The last one I was able to attend was highly attended, and I could never have done it without ALL the help that was so graciously provided.

Again, for anyone anywhere in New England who wants to learn to cast bullets, or improve what skills you already have, you should make an effort to attend this workshop. The folks who lead each of the segments are highly skilled, and will get you through the learning curve quickly (a few hours in a single day). The workshop will be limited to a specific number of interested would be casters. So, sign up early!!

I have a list of people here who want to attend a Florida workshop, but the summer heat, and my cancer keep delaying my ability to do it here.

Michael J. Spangler
10-07-2019, 08:58 PM
Bump for anyone interested.
November 17th. Should be an awesome day full of fun and knowledge.

Boolseye
10-08-2019, 03:58 PM
cool idea. and right next door ;-) hope it goes great, I know I needed some examples when I started.

Michael J. Spangler
10-20-2019, 10:59 AM
BUMP! Date set for November 17th
Sign up before it's too late please. If you're interested please send in payment asap so I can confirm your attendance.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/2019-nes-cast-bullet-seminar-sign-up-thread.