PDA

View Full Version : Colt new service in .38 SPL

Divil
09-02-2019, 11:06 AM
I am taking a hard look at a Colt New Service in .38 SPL. Is this a wise revolver to buy? It is a shooter grade with fixed sights. Am I headed into a mistake if i take the plunge? I do plan on shooting it some if I do get it.

Outpost75
09-02-2019, 11:33 AM
If the gun is sound, times and indexes correctly and does NOT require any gunsmithing, they are great guns and the .38 Special of that model is stout and strong. But IF the gun needs work, it is harder these days to find parts for the New Service and harder to find competent gunsmiths able to work on them.

I have three New Service Colts in .455, .45 ACP and .45 Colt and Sandy Garrett at NoVA Gun Works did the tweaking on them which needed to be done.

Poseidonsfist
09-02-2019, 11:46 AM
I agree, as long as it is in time and working right, great guns. My experience shows that most that are untouched by home gunsmiths, are in good working order. These actions are not to be messed with unless you know what you are doing.

rintinglen
09-02-2019, 02:29 PM
If it times up, and it's reasonably priced, I'd buy it in a heart beat. Provided, it is in fact a 38 special. The only New Service 38's I have seen were 38-40, not 38 Special. They made the Shooting Master version of the New Century in 38 special, but it had adjustable sights. New Service Colts in common calibers run from 1200-2000 in my neck of the woods, these days. A year or two back I saw a 357 for sale--for a paltry 4,000.00. I've an abiding passion for those old v-spring Colts.

I would pass on it, though, if it needs work. Parts border on unobtainable and that coupled with the intricacies of the action means you will look far afield and pay a lot to gunsmith who can fix it.

Thumbcocker
09-02-2019, 03:26 PM
In the 40's and 50's several law enforcement agencies had .38 special new service Colts.

Outpost75
09-02-2019, 03:44 PM
U.S. Border Patrol had fixed sight, 4-inch heavy barrel Colt New Service revolvers in .38 Special before WW2.
Chas. Askins was a big proponent of the New Service.

Petrol & Powder
09-02-2019, 04:32 PM
I'm going to be the dark cloud here.

IF,.....the gun is nearly perfect AND priced right.....maybe (and that's a big maybe), I would consider it.

Currently, more often than not, the word "Colt" stamped on a gun drives the price beyond what a similar gun in similar condition would bring. Add to that the fact that old Colt's are rarely in pristine condition and returning one to correct condition is costly even if it can be accomplished.

Today there are few people that know how to work on Colt DA revolvers and even fewer parts available. If the guns weren't so damned overpriced to start with, maybe they would be good values but even well worn Colt revolvers seem to command far higher prices than they should.

NOW, if it really is a New Service Colt and it really was originally chambered in 38 Special, it's a strong gun for that cartridge. So if the price was right and the gun was tight, it might be worth it. Caveat Emptor.

Walks
09-02-2019, 05:10 PM
Years back I had a .44Spl w/ 7 1/2" bbl.
Smooth as a Babies bottom. Wish it wasn't stolen. Accurate as you could wish for.
Ate the "Skeeter"Load, with ease.

rintinglen
09-03-2019, 02:12 PM
I have been going to gun shows for 53 years, but I have never seen a fixed sight 38 Special Colt New Service, not to say they don't exist, because I have read statements by Charles Askins, Bill Jordan and Charles Skelton describing them, but they are rare. I would expect one to run 1800-2000 bucks, more in better condition.

Nueces
09-03-2019, 05:48 PM
New Services, other than the occasional 1917, have nearly disappeared from central Texas shows and shops. But, back in the 70s and 80s, they were seen much more often and were reasonably priced. I figured this was because the hot guns were high capacity 9s. So, since my tastes were for classic revolvers, I snapped up a bunch of 'em, including 38 Specials in the Shooting Master and standard fixed sight New Service styles. The 6 inch NS is in fine shape except for the Mexican eagle scratched into the side plate and the 5 inch one has a 357 cylinder swapped in.

I didn't mind the lack of originality because that dropped the price and I intended to convert them to 44s or 45s.

smkummer
09-03-2019, 08:34 PM
I have both a fix sight 38 special 4” NS with it agency/numbers ground off the butt and a 38 shooting master.