PDA

View Full Version : Powderhorn storage

RegCom7
08-30-2019, 08:43 AM
Is it ok to store blackpowder in a powderhorn for years? Could it eat through the horn or cause any kind of damage?

carbine
08-30-2019, 09:01 AM
I have powder in a horn for about 20 years. No problem yet

Rick Hodges
08-30-2019, 09:37 AM
I hope not.

pietro
08-30-2019, 10:21 AM

There's nothing in BP that will harm a horn - in fact, powder has been found in horns that were loaded a LONG time ago, that ignited just fine. :shock:

Very large powder horns were once the easiest & most popular means to transport & store BP.

I would be leery, however, of a powder horn that had a poorly-fitted base plug and/or spout plug, as moisture could bypass the seal and contaminated the powder.

indian joe
08-30-2019, 07:13 PM

There's nothing in BP that will harm a horn - in fact, powder has been found in horns that were loaded a LONG time ago, that ignited just fine. :shock:

Very large powder horns were once the easiest & most popular means to transport & store BP.

I would be leery, however, of a powder horn that had a poorly-fitted base plug and/or spout plug, as moisture could bypass the seal and contaminated the powder.

powder will be fine in the horn but if you leave it in storage for too long undisturbed its a good bet the hide weevils will drill holes in the horn (least at my place, we dont do chemicals much)

LAGS
08-30-2019, 08:22 PM
I accidently left a powder horn filled up for two years hanging in the closet.
The horn had no damage, and the powder shot fine.
Now, that was back in California, not here in the dry Arizona Climate.
So I think that the powder would last even longer here in the desert.

RegCom7
08-30-2019, 10:13 PM
Good, thanks for the answers everyone. I've had my powderhorn half full for at least a few years, and wanted to make sure.

smithnframe
08-31-2019, 05:47 AM
I've had no problem the last 40 or so years! I've never completely emptied mine.......just keep adding to it!