PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Jackets

LUCKYDAWG13
08-29-2019, 05:42 PM
Well i had another ground nest of Yellow jackets after the ones i had last year no big deal went out last night sprayed
the nest no big deal I just went in my back yard to have a look well still have a few flying around but the hole started off
about the size of a Quarter now it's the size of a basketball what would dig it up

djgoings
08-29-2019, 05:45 PM
Skunk

labradigger1
08-29-2019, 06:19 PM
Been a bad year here. In the last 2 weeks I’ve got 4 yellow jacket nests in the ground, 2 paper nests and 2 huge bald faced hornet paper nests. Paper ones I burn, ground ones I pour a little bit of diluted chlordane in the hole.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-29-2019, 06:36 PM
We did have a Skunk around had that feint smell in the morning did not know they would eat yellow jackets

owejia
08-29-2019, 06:39 PM
Got into one two weeks ago today while weed eating. Got stung 10 or so times, dropped the still running weed eater and ran to the tractor cab, no Benadryl, so went back to the house and took a couple of Benadryl and went back to retrieve the weed eater was still idling, also took my hand sprayer filled with diesel and a yard rake. Sprayed the area with diesel and used the yard rake to retrieve my weed eater. Stung through gloves and clothes, they hurt worse than when younger. Went back the next morning and started weed eating again and run into another nest about 20 ft further down the fence line, was a little more watchful and as soon as the first few came out run back to the tractor and got the sprayer and started spraying them. The stings between my elbow and shoulder burned like fire, never been this painful before. May have to resort to chemical weed eating. Too old for this. Found a yellow jacket nest in my blue juniper plants this morning, will try to avoid them, until cold weather kills them.

Snow ninja
08-29-2019, 07:19 PM
One summer, when I was about 15, I was out helping my grandpa do some surveying. I was in tennis shoes and shorts and a t-shirt. Stepped on a yellow jacket nest and the entire swarm came out. Unfortunately the nearest pond was about a half mile away. Finally ran to the truck and shut myself in and killed the half dozen or so that made it in with me.

Got home and me and my dad counted 64 separate sting welts, majority on my ankles, some on my arms and ears and face. For some reason, (don't know if this was right or wrong) dad had me take a bath in diluted bleach. The stings hurt/burned for a couple hours. I've always been much more careful where I step nowadays. And only wear boots and jeans when I'm in the fields.

Beagle333
08-29-2019, 07:21 PM
Skunks, coons, and armadillos will dig em up.

WheelgunConvert
08-29-2019, 07:26 PM
Orthene powder sprinkled in and around the opening will take care of the nest in short order. It’s an off label use and you are just trying to kill the ants.

Winger Ed.
08-29-2019, 07:35 PM
Them yellow jackets have a real bad attitude.
They are the only kind of wasp that's ever stung me.

Hickory
08-29-2019, 07:54 PM
I have used gasoline with great success to get rid of yellow jackets.
About a quart in the early morning will do it. Pour it down the hole. What ever you do, DO NOT LITE THE GASOLINE gasoline is like Kryptonite to any bee.

Boolseye
08-29-2019, 08:03 PM
Had a couple ground wasp nests a couple years back-skunk or coon took care of my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolseye
08-29-2019, 08:06 PM
One summer, when I was about 15, I was out helping my grandpa do some surveying. I was in tennis shoes and shorts and a t-shirt. Stepped on a yellow jacket nest and the entire swarm came out. Unfortunately the nearest pond was about a half mile away. Finally ran to the truck and shut myself in and killed the half dozen or so that made it in with me.

Got home and me and my dad counted 64 separate sting welts, majority on my ankles, some on my arms and ears and face. For some reason, (don't know if this was right or wrong) dad had me take a bath in diluted bleach. The stings hurt/burned for a couple hours. I've always been much more careful where I step nowadays. And only wear boots and jeans when I'm in the fields.

Rugged specimen! That many stings can kill or send you to the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsizemore
08-29-2019, 08:24 PM
We were just talking about this at breakfast this morning. One fella that spends lots of time in the woods watched a fox dig up a nest and eat the larvae.

30calflash
08-29-2019, 09:06 PM
If they're in the ground and it's accessible you can use an empty glass jar, upside down, to cover the entrance. They only have one way in and out.

Once sealed a couple days without water and they're done. Works ok if you don't want to use chemicals because of the kids, animals, etc.

Tom W.
08-29-2019, 09:25 PM
I just wanted to ask, if cold weather kills them why are any left alive for the next year?

I haven't encountered any in my yard since I thoroughly filled up the hole with wasp killer. I never did find the other hole, it's probably under my shed.

I get a lot of bumble bees and the bee that looks almost identical, but is mostly curious rather than aggressive.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-29-2019, 09:42 PM
Update yes it was a skunk just seen him up were the nest is

Conditor22
08-29-2019, 10:29 PM
I went deer hunting a few years (a lot of years) ago. Crept up to the edge of a clearing scanning for deer, heard some buzzing and looked down. I was on top of a yellow jacket nest that a skunk had just dugout. I turned and ran, my left hand holding the rifle swung back and got nailed 7 times. Before I got out of the woods I could no longer use my left hand. Made it to a friends house and she put Cordran tape on each of the stings and Cortisone on the rest of the hand.

Still not a fan of those swarming venom projectiles or the stinky black and white pussycats that root them out.

FLINTNFIRE
08-29-2019, 10:46 PM
soap and water like dawn or joy mixed in a pump sprayer hose them down and the nest surface breathers it suffocates them no pesticides and poisons , they do get mean this time of year them and the bald faced hornets .

sigep1764
08-30-2019, 12:14 AM
Weedeating down at the lake this past weekend I hit a ground nest of something, Yellowjackets, wasps, bees, no idea. Stung twice on the back, once on the back of the left arm, and on the top edge of my left ear. Man the ear hurt. Swelled up almost twice as big as the right one. Stinger was still in there and when pulled out was just shy of a quarter of an inch.

Walks
08-30-2019, 12:32 AM
Saw 2 under the patio roof when I was out hanging laundry this morning.
Been years since we had any. Gotta find the next on Saturday.

RU shooter
08-30-2019, 06:26 AM
About a quart in the early morning will do it. Pour it down the hole. What ever you do, DO NOT LITE THE GASOLINE gasoline is like Kryptonite to any bee.
Now that just takes all the enjoyment out of the whole bee killing experience ! Lol

BNE
08-30-2019, 06:58 AM

Exactly. They drop instantly if they are hit with the liquid.
Lighting the gas just tick them off! I had a yellow jacket nest in the berm we stand on to shoot into a pond and could not see the hole. I tossed gas in the area, but didn’t hit their home. Tried lighting it and was amazed to see them flying through the flames! BUT the liquid, if it is on them kills them instantly.

cwlongshot
08-30-2019, 08:00 AM
If close
Enough for electricity, my buddy has interesting way to get them... He buys a cheap small shop vac. They are pretty cheap these days. Cheaper than a exterminator for sure!! He plugs it in and turns it on with the Suction nozzle right at the opening and walks away. Couple Times a day he walks up and sprays bee killer in the sucker. With in a couple days he has them all. Sprays the rest of the can in and either cleans it out or tosses it away.

Well i had another ground nest of Yellow jackets after the ones i had last year no big deal went out last night sprayed
the nest no big deal I just went in my back yard to have a look well still have a few flying around but the hole started off
about the size of a Quarter now it's the size of a basketball what would dig it up

30calflash
08-30-2019, 09:01 AM
If close
Enough for electricity, my buddy has interesting way to get them... He buys a cheap small shop vac. They are pretty cheap these days. Cheaper than a exterminator for sure!! He plugs it in and turns it on with the Suction nozzle right at the opening and walks away. Couple Times a day he walks up and sprays bee killer in the sucker. With in a couple days he has them all. Sprays the rest of the can in and either cleans it out or tosses it away.

Lots of exterminators do it this way when there's a nest in a building. Tape the vac hose near the opening and let it run. In or out they get caught.

Lead pot
08-30-2019, 09:36 AM
I just read on the Shiloh Forum that Frank Noble in Montana was stung by a yellow jacket while at home alone and was unable to get to his EpiPen and was found dead.

waksupi
08-30-2019, 11:13 AM
I just read on the Shiloh Forum that Frank Noble in Montana was stung by a yellow jacket while at home alone and was unable to get to his EpiPen and was found dead.

His wife says the epipen was in his hand, but didn't have time to use it. I suspect he got into a nest. His services are Sept. 6. Frank was a retired Texas Ranger, and head of Homeland Security for the NW sector. He was a hell of a nice guy and a good friend. They lost both their kids some years ago in a traffic accident, so this is really devastating to the family.

Conditor22
08-30-2019, 11:25 AM
A friend and I was mowing a lawn and ran into a nest, we wired the lawnmower to the on position then pushed it over the hole. Call me sadistic but----- there's Something satisfying hearing them little varmints get chopped up.

Lead pot
08-30-2019, 03:43 PM
His wife says the epipen was in his hand, but didn't have time to use it. I suspect he got into a nest. His services are Sept. 6. Frank was a retired Texas Ranger, and head of Homeland Security for the NW sector. He was a hell of a nice guy and a good friend. They lost both their kids some years ago in a traffic accident, so this is really devastating to the family.

I never met the Man that I know of. I have a short memory for names but when I see someone on line I know we met before but cant place a name.
Yes something like this and loosing young ones is tough on the family.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-30-2019, 06:43 PM
Dang it I got one in my front yard too by the amount of them coming and going it' a big one I give up

Hossfly
08-30-2019, 07:18 PM
I had some big black bees built a nest in the insulation around the well tank in the shop. Couldn’t get to them so I put one of those blower fans like come out of home central unit, boy is would just suck em in. Some got ground up but most just got slung around for about 1 hr. Figured they should all be dead by then but nooooo as soon as I turned it off out they came madder than well you know a dizzy bee.

Winger Ed.
08-30-2019, 07:29 PM
Stinger was still in there and when pulled out was just shy of a quarter of an inch.

Being a suicide run like that, and a single shot--- it had to have been a bee.

Wasps are semi-autos, and can nail ya over & over.

Also they have different types of venom.
Some people react differently from a bee sting than they do from a wasp.

Three44s
08-31-2019, 07:05 AM
If you are in an area where it is safe to use a propane weed burner torch works well. Keep the flame at the opening so any yellow jackets etc must fly through the flame to exit. Only do this during the dark hours because during daylight the workers are out in the field and when returning will nail you while you are torching the ones in the nest.

The flame melts their wings and they hit the ground like a rock. The fire is daylight to them and they are drawn to it.

Works on ground bees and above ground nests as well.

Once you start do not stop unless something goes wrong because the unhurt ones if any will be above average mad and out for revenge. If you do have to split .... run like ..... because you are really in for it!

Dress for battle not a “day at the beach.

Do not use this if there is any fire danger besides burning the nest. Do not burn the nest proper just cover the entrance well. If you burn out the side of the nest you will be in more trouble than you can imagine because you can not adequately cover the now wide open exit you have created. It is important to maintain the small opening so that the flow of exiting bees are coming through one door and no more.

This takes practice and some guts but it does work.

You aim right at the opening so there is no getting around the intense heat. The nest will burn incidentally but the time the nest will unload of bees is shorter than the integrity of the sides of the nest failing and allowing stragglers to circumvent your torch flame and come out to attack you.

But bee safe!

Three44s

Three44s
08-31-2019, 07:19 AM
For a fire prone area and and in ground nest I like a jug of diesel fuel. I deliver it pre-dawn with the cap off and tip it over to saturate the top of the nest with a stick. Then leave. Don’t lowly gag around there. On any given day there are workers stranded by falling darkness that will return at first light. You have their attention and if you are hanging around, they will probably get yours as well.

The diesel being an oil will linger in the nest material and surrounding soil way past the surging bees survival window. Trust me, if you placed your jug of fuel right it will work, you do not need to hang around.

Three44s

Shawlerbrook
08-31-2019, 07:23 AM
Bears will also dig up ground nests.

Three44s
08-31-2019, 07:34 AM
For a nest you can not find, give them a treat.

Do this late season only please as the yellow jackets are beneficial early to mid season:

Take a very small amount of Sevin and mix it in some canned cat food. Put it up so pets nor children can access it.

The workers take it to the nest and walla wa!

Other insecticides will kill yellow jackets but most of them stink. Sevin in small doses does not alarm them and they will pack it in along with the cat food.

This can wipe out more than one nest at a time and as I stated before, we need these pesky critters as they are predators to other insects extrodinair. So go easy on using insecticides.

As the season advances their food runs thin and they get cranky. Also with their incredible vision they seek the skin mites on our exposed body surfaces and want to eat them. (These mites live on us and eat our dying skin cells). This is why yellow jackets land on us. The problem is we naturally react and they detect our rising electrical waves (nerve impulses) and being that they have such a sweet dispositions ... well one thing leads to another you know!

Three44s

Conditor22
08-31-2019, 10:46 AM
Being a suicide run like that, and a single shot--- it had to have been a bee.

Wasps are semi-autos, and can nail ya over & over.

Also they have different types of venom.
Some people react differently from a bee sting than they do from a wasp.

Wasps get a bad rap!! I've worked around them for years and have never gotten stung.

I've gotten bitten a time or two but never stung.

Hornets and yellow jackets are an entirely different story --- then again. I had a sis-in-law that had a large hornet nest in her back yard, she even built a bench around the tree. They never bothered her and she rarely had any insects or bugs on her property.

30calflash
08-31-2019, 12:23 PM
Three44s does bring up that yellow jackets are useful, nothing God put here isn't. They do take out a lot of other insects that are not beneficial to us and more so to them, as food.

A short one, my bosses dad was over 80 yo at the time. Has a large nest on the front of his house under an overhang, becomes an issue. He goes into the garage, starts a fire in the wood stove, grabs his gloves, bee spray, ladder and a garbage bag.

Sets up ladder under the nest at dusk, gloves on, bag in rear pocket. Hoses the nest with the contents of the can, withdraws said bag from pocket and places over the nest up to the house. Tears the nest off the house, closes the bag and calmly walks to the garage, Opens woodstove door and sends it! Closes the door and takes care of a few stings he received.

shooterg
08-31-2019, 12:33 PM
In my younger days working convicts for the State, my job one day was driving the dump truck away with storm damaged trees. The convicts laid a tree down(yes, we let 'em use chainsaws !) and when it hit a large nest of hornets did also . I saw 'em pouring out of their crushed home and hit the gas and locked the doors. Several vics were grabbing door handles but they had to just hang on for a couple hundred yards because I WAS NOT opening those doors !
All of 'em could've escaped as the guard and his WInchester 97 was running as fast as he could also. One did require a trip to the hospital, most escaped(ha!) with a sting or 2. I got none !!

Winger Ed.
08-31-2019, 12:50 PM
I used to have a old buddy who was a house painter.

He told of painting the outside of a house one time and encountered a big wasp nest.
He'd start at the top with his ladder, and work around and down.
That way, when he got tired, he was working on the ground.

Up in the eves, on a ladder, brushing along,,,,,,,,,,he came up on the nest.
No spray or anything with him, so he painted them real quick.
It didn't kill all of them, but they fell to the ground.
The paint messed up their wings, and the problem was solved.

Later on, the wasps got their revenge.

As he was walking around the house doing the ground level stuff,
he came under where the nest had been, a bunch of them crawled up his legs- then stung him.

quilbilly
08-31-2019, 01:48 PM
My hatred of yellow jackets knows no limits. They forced me off of half a giant mule deer once after dozens of bites and stings.
I love the cat food idea with Sevin. I may put some out where I go beach casting for coho salmon for a little while when I go fishing to prevent harming anything else. Last time there they even tried to get into the cooler where the fish were and I got bit twice.

pete501
08-31-2019, 02:34 PM
I have a remedy for a yellow jacket sting that works.

Press a penny on the sting sight. I usually clean with water first if I can or just lick the penny.

No pain, no itching almost like you were never stung.

OldBearHair
08-31-2019, 05:28 PM
AFter getting stung by red wasps twice, going to and from my house and shop, I declared war. Knew where they were entering the eaves two places. About an ounce of wheel bearing grease and a teaspoon full of Chloridane mixed and with a used acid brush, painted (smeared) some around each entry. Done. Another time ground wasps behind my shop in the blacksmith area trying to work and they decided I was an enemy. Mixed the Permetrin in a gallon sprayer and stood ten feet away and sprayed straight stream into the hole and around it until it was pretty wet.. Could see returning yellowjackets going into the hole. None flying out. Next day there was a group of dead ones lying around the hole.

higgins
08-31-2019, 06:45 PM
Last time I had to take care of a big ground nest I went out after dark and poured some gasoline in the hole and plugged it with a piece of rag so they couldn't escape the fumes.

Nice to know about the Orthene; that's what I use on fire ants so I have it on hand.

Tripplebeards
08-31-2019, 07:09 PM
We dug one up by accident with an end loader yesterday. About three hundred of them flying around in about a three foot circle. I’ve seen videos of people pouring a five gallon pale Of molten lead down the hole and digging it up after it hardens.

Gas works very well.

JM7.7x58
09-01-2019, 03:50 AM
If close

I have killed three large yellow jacket ground nests with my shop-vac. It only takes about an hour. I leave the hose at their hole for an hour, and then start digging with a crow bar. There will be a few survivors inside the nest with the queen. I poke and dig with one hand, and vacuum up the stragglers with the other. The trip down the hose destroys their wings.

It feels so good to kill them!

JM

Pipefitter
09-01-2019, 08:41 AM
I have used the CO2 tank off my keggerator at night to eradicate ground bees nests.

Three44s
09-01-2019, 04:28 PM
I have used the CO2 tank off my keggerator at night to eradicate ground bees nests.

The bees do not revive as they thaw out from being blasted by the CO2?

Three44s

Pipefitter
09-01-2019, 05:39 PM
The bees do not revive as they thaw out from being blasted by the CO2?

Three44s

Suffocated actually. Run the CO2 at 10psi for 5 minutes or so and walk away. Problem solved.

trebor44
09-02-2019, 05:24 PM
Now if you really want to see a Yellowjacket problem, here is one of many on you tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQJroVKXMoY
ENJOY!

LUCKYDAWG13
09-04-2019, 01:01 PM
well my nest is gone the bug spray did not work so good but i had a idea i had a left over Hot Dog that i tied a string on drug it around my yard than tossed it up by the nest a Skunk came by looking for something to eat we have a lot of them around this year he went and dug the nest out for me

rbuck351
09-05-2019, 01:00 AM
When I find a ground nest I use the weed eater running full throttle over the hole and close to the ground. Stomp the ground near the hole to get them to come out but dress properly as a few will fly low enough to get under the whirling lines. It's fun to watch them disappear in shreds as they come out to fight.

fatelk
09-05-2019, 02:03 AM
I had a really big nest underground just outside the house a few years ago. I dumped a gallon of liquid nitrogen down the hole. That wiped them out for good.

Three44s
09-05-2019, 04:05 AM
well my nest is gone the bug spray did not work so good but i had a idea i had a left over Hot Dog that i tied a string on drug it around my yard than tossed it up by the nest a Skunk came by looking for something to eat we have a lot of them around this year he went and dug the nest out for me

I like that .....do you suppose a whole package of hot dogs would entice them to clean out all my hornets, wasps and yellow jackets? Maybe a sack of marsh mellows thrown in after the work was complete as a bonus?

One of those jumbo frank packages and a bear likely will apply around here. In fact a bit of hot dog juice smeared on the outside and leave the package intact so the hornets or yellow jackets do not eat them instead.

Three44s