PDA

View Full Version : separated case

white eagle
08-28-2019, 04:24 PM
I had a case separate in one of my guns
it marred the chamber where it separated
Do I need to worry about the chamber now?
Can the marring be removed?
Is it ruined or can I carry on?

Walks
08-28-2019, 06:00 PM
But don't shoot any ammo from the batch that the separated case came from.

Case head separation is no joke. Every round should be broken down. Every case inspected for stretching. If they're mixed headstamps......

swheeler
08-28-2019, 06:29 PM
All you can do now is try it and see, follows Walks advice about using what you got. Always remember a marred chamber is better than a face full of hot brass or eye surgery. Time to start looking at your sizing operation, quit pushing that shoulder back or in then case of a straight walled cartridge stop trimming so short.

country gent
08-28-2019, 06:34 PM
When a case separates its not the brass that scars the chamber but the high pressure gasses and heat that do it. Its just like blown primers pitting a bolt face. Removal of the forward portion can damage a chamber it not done carefully but its normally the high pressure gasses being released.

Texas by God
08-28-2019, 10:05 PM
Similar to flame cutting a revolver topstrap? I've only had two or four head separations in my time and LUCKILY the chambers weren't hurt. I've had a couple of bolt faces with gas slices, though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Der Gebirgsjager
08-29-2019, 01:15 PM
Hard to say without examining it. The marring might be removed with a good chamber cleaning. If not, it may/may not be severe enough to effect new brass. Can't really ream or polish it out without risking an oversized chamber that will then be junk. Must have been a pretty hot load (?) or much used brass.

LAGS
08-29-2019, 01:46 PM
If I come across a chamber that had a case separate in it, I always do a Chamber Casting to get a good picture of the condition of the chamber, and be able to measure it for scaring or Bulging.
Bulged Chambers from a case separation are Rare but I have seen them before.
You can do a chamber casting yourself with Cerosafe from Brownell's or maybe Roto Metals.
It aint that hard, and there are lots of info on the Net.
Clean the chamber really good before casting.
You are looking for Scaring, not Debris or staining.
Cerosafe can also be used to remove a separated case that is stuck in the chamber.
That Is one of the reasons I always have some on hand.