PDA

View Full Version : Percussion caps question

Handshaker
08-26-2019, 02:52 PM
I am just getting into black powder although i have had a SS Ruger Old Army for several years and never shot it. I just purchased a Pedersoli Howdah and having fun with it, the old army will get shot next.
My Question is i am going to order an inline Percussion cap feeder, do the primer trays that flip primers to the correct orientation also work on percussion caps? It would be easier loading the PC into the Feeder if they do.
thanks

Maven
08-26-2019, 03:51 PM
In theory the primer flipper should also work with percussion caps. Coincidentally I just returned from the range after a session with my ROA to which I added a set of Slix Shot nipples: 100% reliability v. the factory and even Uncle Mike's nipples. Btw, Ted Cash has a new inline capper designed for all BP revolvers + it has an opening on the side rather than on the bottom for more convenient loading of percussion caps.

Handshaker
08-26-2019, 05:09 PM
Thanks, i saw the cash capper online a few days ago, they are VERY proud of them....

jdfoxinc
08-26-2019, 08:58 PM
Thompson center firearms has a plastic version of the cash capper.

And no percussion caps are taller than primers.

megasupermagnum
08-26-2019, 10:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uouo_3eadQU

You don't need a primer tray, just do like in the video. Mine makes range trips way easier. The inline capper is what I use for hunting, but it's not very convenient to load. Handling caps by hand is no fun. This way you don't ever have to touch the caps. Just dump, shake, and you are ready to go. The end is kind of fat, it's a squeeze on my scout pistol. I'm not sure it would work on a revolver, I have none to try it on.

Handshaker
08-26-2019, 10:32 PM
OK thanks, i get that they are taller. The Thompson isnt the same as the cash capper, its an inline and the cash capper is round and holds a lot more. The cva brass is cheaper than the thompson plastic in line.

AntiqueSledMan
08-27-2019, 12:01 PM
Hello Handshaker,

Have you looked at the Polish Capper?
I think I'm going this way.

AntiqueSledMan.

Handshaker
08-27-2019, 12:18 PM
I'll look at that, the cash capper is 30 ducks and looks like to me no more that a candy mint dispenser, lol. I am sure they cost 27 cents to make....
thanks
I looked at the polish capper, it looks very nice. I would be willing to spend dollars for something quality like that.
thanks again

Der Gebirgsjager
08-27-2019, 12:41 PM
Just personal experience, which no doubt doesn't match up with everyone else's experience, but I've gotten along fine with the in line brass cappers.
Shooting black powder guns isn't a rush, rush, hurry up type of sport anyway. If you have a percussion rifle the in line capper is a good way to transport the caps when hunting, and you're only re-capping one at a time anyway. There's plenty of time to load up the capper before leaving and get the caps properly oriented in the capper's spring loaded reservoir. If you're target shooting with a black powder revolver, the in line capper can be a less fumbley way of getting the cap onto the nipple, but you'll likely need some additional thumb pressure to seat it firmly and most of the in line cappers are too delicate to exert a lot of pressure, so being a little protective of my thumbs, I tend to do the final pushing with an ice cream stick. For most purposes I just ignore cappers, and have enough dexterity (and time) to pick an individual cap out of the can and place it on the nipple of whatever firearm.

Theditchman
08-27-2019, 01:05 PM
I had a straight thin pistol capper but ended up dumping it ...I would fill it up and the caps kept falling over in it and it turned into a Pain in the Butt

dondiego
08-27-2019, 03:51 PM
I had a straight thin pistol capper but ended up dumping it ...I would fill it up and the caps kept falling over in it and it turned into a Pain in the Butt

Same here. I tried but it was just easier and faster to use my fingers.

charlie b
08-27-2019, 05:48 PM
Inline cappers are good for hunting if you are short on space. Despite the cost I love the Ted Cash capper. None of the primers flip, easy to load and easy to use on just about anything (mine has kind of a scroll look to it). Great for range day when you are shooting 40 rounds or more. I think it would be a good solution for a revolver.

Theditchman
08-27-2019, 05:55 PM
I bought the ted cash larger capper for rifles..I hope I have better luck with that...I had a look at the polish capper and it looked real nice but I thought $50 was a little steep