PDA

View Full Version : Star Powder Slide

Handloader
08-24-2019, 10:27 PM
I want to copy the slide itself but have bushings made for a variety of charges. How do I figure out the size of powder holes for charges ? I want 5 grains of bullseye, 13.5 grains 2400, 5 and 7 grains unique.

Handloader
08-25-2019, 08:42 AM
Ok I have fuzzy math that may be right, I used LEE's VMD chart and got my cubic centimeter by multiplying vmd by charge weight for bullseye (.1064x5=.532). Now I took a cylinder and gave it a hieght of .250( I have not measured the actual slide it just looked like it so math will be changed when the time is right). So the cylinder would be .406-.4065 in diameter .250 tall so volumes in cybic inches would be.032.Convert cubic inch to cubic centimeter gets you .5243. Take VMD for bulls eye .1064 amd divide .5243/.1064 and you will get 4.92 grains of powder. Is any of this right?

jsizemore
08-25-2019, 10:25 AM
You could find an adjustable powder slide. And no, you can't have mine.

You could make your own chart from your present slide and powders.

I have a 3.0 BE slide that dumped more then 3 with my lot of powder. I found a sized 25-06 case neck would press fit into the hole so cut it off a little shy of the slide thickness and adjusted height of insert till I got the targeted weight. Works great.

You could make it easy on yourself and find an adjustable powder slide. Mine doesn't go down to 3 gr. of Bullseye and it's not for sale.

Handloader
08-25-2019, 02:08 PM
You could find an adjustable powder slide. And no, you can't have mine.

You could make your own chart from your present slide and powders.

I have a 3.0 BE slide that dumped more then 3 with my lot of powder. I found a sized 25-06 case neck would press fit into the hole so cut it off a little shy of the slide thickness and adjusted height of insert till I got the targeted weight. Works great.

You could make it easy on yourself and find an adjustable powder slide. Mine doesn't go down to 3 gr. of Bullseye and it's not for sale.

Are you sure i just can't buy yours, it really sounds like its just setting around lol.

I think this will work best to make a replica and use my handy dandy lathe to turn bushings out of black derlin plastic rod

jsizemore
08-25-2019, 02:36 PM
Are you sure i just can't buy yours, it really sounds like its just setting around lol.

I think this will work best to make a replica and use my handy dandy lathe to turn bushings out of black derlin plastic rod

Excellent idea.

I got the idea about the bushing from closing down shot bar and powder bushings on my MEC shotgun loaders using Pex pipe to reduce their capacity. Sometimes nothing more than a piece of tape took care of business.

wsl
08-25-2019, 03:19 PM
I want to copy the slide itself but have bushings made for a variety of charges. How do I figure out the size of powder holes for charges ? I want 5 grains of bullseye, 13.5 grains 2400, 5 and 7 grains unique.

Hi,
I made an excel file, based on Lee's cc table. The file automatically figures out the inside diameter of the bushing by plugging in powder type, charge, and thickness of the powder bar. I can send it to you if you would like. It does not account for dimensional differences in bar thickness, powder lot density and probably other things I don't know about. It's always really close or spot on for me.
Hope this helps,
Wes
5.0grs Bullseye would be:
.4066" ID for .250" thick bar
.3652" ID for .3125" thick bar

salpal48
09-03-2019, 12:58 PM
I guess you might be able to figure it your self. Star Currently will make you Bushing in any size you want for $7.00 each. this is for either an "O" slide or "OO"