PDA

View Full Version : Remembrance Day Nov. 11

robertbank
11-01-2008, 11:59 AM
As we approach November 11th, Remembrance Day here in Canada I thought it timely to post the following video. All our family members who participated in WW 1, WW 11 and Korea are gone now, having lost our last this year.

My son phoned me the day of our election and said he was going down to vote because of what his Grand Dad and Uncles had fought so hard to ensure he could.

http://www.army.gc.ca/chief_land_staff/remembrance/english/video.asp

God Bless all that served.

Take Care

Bob

Ivantherussian03
11-01-2008, 02:26 PM
I started holding practice for our Veteran's Day Event a week ago. I have been doing this 7 years now and it has taken on a life of it own. We show a slide show of our veterans and brief history of the war in Alaska. It is a big deal now here. The pictures of our veterans flow across the screen and the people cheer. It is very touching.

robertbank
11-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Hi Ivan

Where abouts are you in Alaska? Terrace is just south of you as you likely know. If you ever take the ferry to Pr. Rupert to catch the hwy system you drive right through our city.

Take Care

Bob

Scrounger
11-01-2008, 04:09 PM
I started holding practice for our Veteran's Day Event a week ago. I have been doing this 7 years now and it has taken on a life of it own. We show a slide show of our veterans and brief history of the war in Alaska. It is a big deal now here. The pictures of our veterans flow across the screen and the people cheer. It is very touching.

Have you read "The Thousand Mile War" by Brian Garfield? The story of WWII in Alaska. AKA "The Ten Thousand Mile War".

Ivantherussian03
11-01-2008, 07:03 PM
I believe I have read that book. Another book people might be interested in is "Men of the Tundra" the story of the ATG (Alaska Territorial Guard), which were mostly Yupik, and Aleut Eskimo. It is a book talking about explaining about life in the 49 state in the 1940's. Boxes and boxes of old rifles were buried across the country; they were Springfields I believe. I liked to find a box of them now.:D

Happy and respectful Veterans Day

Russell James
11-02-2008, 06:46 AM
November 11th is Rembrance day here in Australia as well.
Lest we forget.
RJ

flhroy
11-05-2008, 01:48 AM
The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month! The end of the war to end all wars. It used to be called Armistice Day down here in the States. We now call it Veterans Day. A day to remember all that the Veterans, of all countries, who gave so much, that allows us to enjoy what we have today.

Right Hand Salute!

Suo Gan
11-05-2008, 03:34 AM
Want to tell my bloodbrothers of the north that I appreciate what they did during WWI, WWII, Korea, and the war on Terror. It seems that Canada like America is plagued by leaders who are incompetent and dedicated to the destruction of our great countries. But Canada, like America rises above its leaders and has produced some amazing heroes that gave all.

I still remember how much joy my Grandfather got from collecting Canadian coins, noting how beautiful they were. He always told me that Canada was a great country.

Cast you later, SG

twotrees
11-11-2008, 06:17 AM
Take time to Remember.

The 11th Hour

of the 11th day

of the 11th month.

And Flanders Fields, where all the poppies grow.

To all that went before, Thank You, for your sacrifice.

Rick B. and RedFoxy

missionary5155
11-11-2008, 08:43 AM
I salute my fallen brothers ! We are enriched to live with the results of thier sacrifice ! To all of you who bear the marks on your bodies... THANKYOU ! May God give you the joy to Know Him.

10-x
11-11-2008, 09:08 AM
A Salute to all that have served our Nation.
Freedom is not free, it has come at a terrible price, but has always been worth the sacrifice.
"They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them,
Lest we forget"
:drinks:

robertbank
11-11-2008, 09:56 AM
In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields. Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Off to the Cenotaph here in Terrace to pay my respects at 11:00. The towns dead are listed on the Memorial.

Take Care

Bob

miestro_jerry
11-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Thank you for your appreciation and thank you to all of the veterans no matter you are from, you are one of the brothers and sisters of the truly brave.

Jerry

Morgan Astorbilt
11-11-2008, 10:20 AM
I just came in from raising the flag. For some reason it brought a tear to my eye, then I remembered I'd watched Mel Gibson's "We Were Soldiers" again late last night. Must have seen it a half dozen times, but so soon after the disappointment of this election, it was more than I could bear. God bless those that gave their all for us. I pray it wasn't all in vain.
Morgan

Jon K
11-11-2008, 02:31 PM
To all fellow Vets: Hope you have a great day and Thank You & God Bless!

Jon

waksupi
11-11-2008, 09:29 PM
I salute you all.

ktw
11-11-2008, 09:45 PM
I have been listening to the CBC today at work. They did a real nice job with Remembrance Day. They read a lot of letters written by WWI vets to their families at home, among other things.

-ktw