PDA

View Full Version : Never in a million years

FredBuddy
08-24-2019, 12:16 PM
I recently found myself the owner of a beat up,
neglected Winchester 94 in 30-30. Cleaned up
the rust (the receiver is one of those '70s Problems)
and tried it out.

The sights were junk (not original) so ordered
2 different configurations. First, put on the peep
sight and a new front sight - after several sighting-in
shots it was better, but I wasn't satisfied with the peep
having to be so high. Off it went.

Next is a barrel mounted semi-buckhorn with the little piece
to fine tune elevation. Since I find the little white diamond
distracting I reversed it and guessed at where to set it.
Slid the sight into the dovetail and centered it on the barrel.

Gathered some ammo and a target and set it up at
about 45 yds. Aimed at the top point of the 2 inch diamond,
fired 2 shots............247220
The lower 2 shots are a different boolit aimed at the bottom
point of the diamond.

To make a long story short, I installed the sights using the
SWAG method and they were perfectly aligned!

444ttd
08-24-2019, 01:43 PM
good job!!!!!

now all it needs is a trip to JES and he will rebore it to 35/30.
http://www.35caliber.com/8.html

buckwheatpaul
08-24-2019, 01:46 PM
I love a happy ending....congrats!

Shawlerbrook
08-24-2019, 02:23 PM
Those post-64 Winnys get a bad rap. The sintered receiver is a problem but they shoot just fine. I made a Trapper out of a 1964 version and cerakoted the receiver. Sweet little chore gun.

Texas by God
08-24-2019, 03:26 PM
I love correct guesses. Makes me feel smart, sort of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Bazoo
08-24-2019, 04:12 PM
I love my 1970 born winchester 94.

Interesting, I also find the white diamond distracting and reverse it. I have a marbles semi buckhorn long sight on mine. Thinking of changing to the short version for a touch clearer sight picture.

Not much rust on mine, but the receiver finish is gone at the carry point. I like the look, but if I ever have it spruced up, I think I'll have it hard chromed. Seen a picture of one done that way and it was nice. The receiver is investment cast.

modified5
08-24-2019, 04:47 PM
I have a 1966 model that I picked up as a stripped receiver with a broken tang and a rusted out barrel for $19. Less than $200 later I have a sweet little truck gun. I do need to get the sights worked out. The first one I put on didn't work out. Nice work on getting it to shoot.

08-24-2019, 05:50 PM
Love it when a plan comes together. Well done.

trails4u
08-24-2019, 06:40 PM
Had a similar thing happen when I put a new scope on my son's .22 years ago..... Installed the rail, installed the rings, tightened everything down and set it on the bench/rest to start dialing it in. Started at about 20yds, just to get it on paper. Well......not so long story here, I never touched the turrets, and still haven't to this day. :)

koger
08-24-2019, 08:56 PM
SWAG, I bet a lot of folks don't have a clue where that comes from. Scientific Wild A** Guess!

woodbutcher
08-25-2019, 04:23 PM
[smilie=s: Well,the T.L.A.R.method works pretty well too.Maybe one of the members here who served in Viet Nam in the Air Force could explain it much better than I could.Maybe even Mr Gibson could do it.Thanking all for their service and sacrifice.God bless you all.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

TNsailorman
08-25-2019, 04:43 PM
The little winnie's are great handling and shooting firearms. I had one many years ago and it was one rifle that I should have kept. It was very accurate out to 120 yards. It kicked all out of proportion to the cartridge though, more like a 30-06 than a 30wcf. I ran it off on a tip board at work and regretted it the day after I did it. james