PDA

View Full Version : Another success with home grown gas checks

Boerrancher
11-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Now for starters, I know that Win Mod 94 30-30's are not suppose to shoot this well. This is my second target after a sight adjustment. The first group was almost as good, but it was about 6 inches high. I made the adjustment, let the rifle cool while I was shooting my Mod 92, and then I shot the following group at 75 yds. Each square is 1 sq inch, as you can tell from my thumb in the bottom of the pic.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/75yrd3030.jpg

Here is all of the Load data:
30 grs of IMR 4064
Win LR Primer
Lee C309-150-RF, with a 50/50 pure lead/WW alloy
Dropped at .311, sized to .310
Gas check made from 16 thousandths aluminum bud light bottle
2 coats of JPW for lube

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Buckshot
11-01-2008, 01:37 AM
.................VERY good! People get all dewey eyed with a 1" group at 100 yards from their bolt action and jacketed bullets. I understand that your target WAS shot at 75 yards. But it was also a lever action, and it was also cast lead. Darn good stuff in my book.

..................Buckshot

Russel Nash
11-01-2008, 02:14 AM
Just curious about thickness of the aluminum bottle, 16 thousandths you say?

How thick is the aluminum for aluminum cans?

I don't have one handy to cut open and measure myself.

Just wondering if the type of can...err... bottle makes a difference.

Thanks!

Good shooting, BTW!

Linstrum
11-01-2008, 02:23 AM
Yup! That is exactly as Buckshot says!

And I'll add that what you accomplished is one of the reasons why I hang out here, I want to learn what all it takes so I can do that, too.

Thanks for sharing!

rl461

sav300
11-01-2008, 06:55 AM
Joe.Congrats on the group and the work with your gas checks.
ps need more vegemite?
Lionel

JeffinNZ
11-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Good work Joe. Tried the 12 thou I sent yet??

James C. Snodgrass
11-01-2008, 06:31 PM
I've yet to figure why people say a mod. 94 wont shoot well ? That's a good group and I'm sure it isn't just a fluke or (braggin) group . Mine will do about the same if I can keep my end of the bargain up . Good shootin' James

94Doug
11-01-2008, 07:01 PM
...so those are the bottles that are thicker than a regular pop or beer can, like automotive chemicals (and I see Mountain Dew now) are sold in?

Doug

Boerrancher
11-02-2008, 09:29 AM
...so those are the bottles that are thicker than a regular pop or beer can, like automotive chemicals (and I see Mountain Dew now) are sold in?

Doug

Those bottles are 16 thousandths thick, where a regular aluminum can can be anywhere from 4.5 to 5.5 thousandths thick. It makes a big difference. That same gun and load but using 12 thousandths thick material for a gas check will shoot 5 inch groups at that distance. I have been looking for a Mountain Dew in an aluminum bottle just so I can see if the bottle is different. I will drink a Dew, but I have to rely on friends for Bud Light bottles. If they ever start putting Sam Adams in aluminum bottles I will have it made.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

OeldeWolf
11-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Are the bud light bottles the same as the aluminum bud light cans? I do not drink any kind of beer or alcohol, so I am relying on my son's friends and such for supply and info.

RU shooter
11-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks for another update Joe, I must have a very forgiving rifle as I have used several different thickness chex's ranging from 2 ply of soda can(.009) through .016 flashing matl. and cant really tell the difference in practical accuracy between them and that is shooting 200 yd. I seem to have very similar scores in slow prone(190-195 with 6-8X on the SR2) no matter what the chex's made off ? It could be the load as mine are only in the mid to high 1600 fps range as thats all I need to get it out to 200 ?

Tim

Boerrancher
11-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Are the bud light bottles the same as the aluminum bud light cans? I do not drink any kind of beer or alcohol, so I am relying on my son's friends and such for supply and info.

The aluminum cans are not the same as the bottles. The bottles are over 3x the thickness of the cans. With that being said, my 30-06 is very forgiving as long as I don't push them over 1700 fps. It has a 1 in 9 twist and once you start pushing them faster than that the boolits start slinging every where. I guess the RPM is too much for them. I need to try those 150 gr cast out of my Mod 99, 300 Sav. It ought to shoot them well with the 1 in 12 twist.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe