PDA

View Full Version : Good ear protection for hunting?

Silvercreek Farmer
08-18-2019, 08:55 PM
My wife got me some Walker Electronic muffs last year. I liked them pretty well, but couldn't tell where sound was coming from. Are there any with better directionality? I'd like to keep it under $75 if possible.

Boolit_Head
08-18-2019, 09:38 PM
I tried some inexpensive electronic ear plugs for skeet shooting and hated them. I could hear folks walking and crunching gravel in the parking lot. I picked up some electronic Caldwell muffs and can barely hear things around me. From what I've seem it's sort of hit and miss, you got to try them to see how effective they are. Do look for stereo mic's though.

upr45
08-18-2019, 10:21 PM
For deer or bear hunting I carry the foam roll up plugs in my pants pocket. They keep warm there and I can put them in under 5 sec. I hunt from a ground blind and usually see something coming well before a clear shot is presented. This won't work if you are stalking or moving.

Winger Ed.
08-18-2019, 11:14 PM
I use electronics on the range, but just those foam rubber ones hunting.

skeettx
08-18-2019, 11:53 PM
I use Peltor 7S

CastingFool
08-19-2019, 08:58 PM
I used Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic earmuffs this last spring for turkey hunting. I thought they worked great. I was hunting alone in private land, so I didn't have to worry about anyone else. Had no problem hearing the toms when they gobbled, and no problems identifying where the sound was coming from.

Omega
08-19-2019, 09:54 PM
I used Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic earmuffs this last spring for turkey hunting. I thought they worked great. I was hunting alone in private land, so I didn't have to worry about anyone else. Had no problem hearing the toms when they gobbled, and no problems identifying where the sound was coming from.

+1, I love mine for hunting, though my peltors are better for range use, they reset faster. The Howard Leight's pick up sound better than the peltors, and direction is no problem.

Silvercreek Farmer
08-22-2019, 06:13 PM
I saw a vote for the HL's on another review as well.

Mal Paso
08-22-2019, 08:30 PM
Pro Ears Gold are $240 on sale and worth every penny. Sounds are fully directional and the audio clear. There is no cut out, you hear the shot exactly, just reduced. You even hear ricochets. I've had a mountain lion stalk me. I like to hear all the sounds and critter sounds seem to be boosted with the Pro Ears Gold.

smoked turkey
08-22-2019, 10:12 PM
I have a single ear Walker Game Ear. I use it in my right ear (my best ear), and a foam ear plug in the left ear. Most of the time I can differentiate direction ok. I have on occasion been directionally challenged with it, but all in all for the money the Walker brand has been good.

David2011
08-23-2019, 06:51 PM

I, too, have used Howard Leight Sport earmuffs for hunting. They let me hear the sounds around me and will amplify a whisper so by hunting buddy and I were able to communicate and the deer 100 yards away didn't seem to hear us. I'm very pleased with them. The sides are completely independent other than the power and volume control so stereo separation is good.