PDA

View Full Version : what the heii is it

2muchstuf
10-31-2008, 04:55 PM
In 37 years of meltin & castin, I ain't never seen nothin like it.
Today I set out to clean up a little. In the process I melted a bunch of stick-on ww.30lb or so I guess. Many didn't melt, steel or something I guess. After skimming the crud, I noticed something that looked like water puddles on top of the melt. My melt wasn't too hot, not sure of the temp but the fire was low, so I'm sure it wasn't hot enough to melt zink.
What were these mysterious puddles?
I dipped them off easily. What was left turned bluer than any pure I have ever seen.
Also when poured into molds seemed alot frothy on top.
Anybody else with simaler expierience?
Do you guys think this stuff is any good?
I will allways have it sepperated from the rest of my stash.

Jon K
10-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Bubbles.....................brown & grey, gummy-looks like spray type insulation?

I have had this twice, once about a year ago, and about 20 years ago. Both were unknown source of alloy given to me in ingot form. What a mess...........

Jon

jawjaboy
10-31-2008, 05:27 PM
Look like this?

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=19732

2muchstuf
10-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Jon K;Not grey or brown , not bubbly like cottage cheese , that happened when pouring ingnots. More like melted wax before it lights up. It looked clear, but was most likly bright silver. Just looled like a teaspoon of water on the melt.
Now that all is cooled off, no blue on ingnots. Drop test has a good thud like pure.

DLCTEX
10-31-2008, 10:49 PM
Sounds similar to a small amount of zinc that was alloyed into lead. I have gotten similar puddles when melting ingots that were deliberately contaminated with zinc in some testing I did. Oxidation is almost purple to irridescent blue and the alloyed zinc melts quickly, but the zinc separates into puddles on top of the melt. It will mix back in with more heat. With more heat good boolits can be cast with a bottom pour until the pot gets low enough that the zinc that is trying to separate becomes abundant enough to cause clogging of the nozzle or bad castings. DALE

runfiverun
11-01-2008, 01:50 AM
the bubbles look kinda dry and flat grey?
if the ingots look like they are kinda herringbone patterned that is antimony.
but the puddles do sound like zinc.