PDA

View Full Version : First hang-up in Lee Classic Turret

jim4065
10-31-2008, 04:38 PM
I started having problems with the "Safety Prime" today and it went from annoying to non-functional in 3 or 4 rounds. The primer arm wasn't dropping cleanly in the ram and the "Safety Primer" couldn't reach the cup. When cleaning and oiling didn't work I looked down inside the ram with a flashlight - it was chock full of spent primers. (Thought the tube was filling slowly!)

Popped off the plastic tube and found a wire coat hanger - ram it up the old kazoo and it acts just like a roto-rooter. Musta been over a hundred spent primers inside the metal ram. Going to have to watch it for a repeat - and have no clue why it started getting plugged up in the first place. Is there a maintenance step I'm missing? It's hard to pull the linkage off the bottom of the ram - and I don't see how the spent primers bridged initially. Oh well, it's working now............. :mrgreen:

TAWILDCATT
10-31-2008, 05:37 PM
It happens on most presses.I have a bonanza and it does it.:coffeecom[smilie=1:

jim4065
10-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Guess this is the first one I've had that dropped the spent primers out the bottom of the ram. :roll:

Bullshop Junior
10-31-2008, 07:55 PM
I just take the tube off, and dump them in a tin can on the floor. works well and you can here the tink when it hits.
as for priming I use the Lee priming tool, so never use that any how.
BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

454PB
10-31-2008, 10:02 PM
I don't use the press for priming, so I can't help you there. I assume you are aware that the top portion (shell holder) screws right off.

JesterGrin_1
11-02-2008, 08:43 PM
This Should help :) http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10237&PN=1

PatMarlin
11-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Probably got the "100 year" possibility of spent primers cocking just right in there to create a pile up.

Maybe there are some remaining machine burrs up in there also. I had to do some hand filing on my classic turret right out of the box.

monadnock#5
11-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Bullshop Junior nailed it. Find a way to route the spent primers into a container that makes a noise when a spent primer hits the bottom. It's kind of neat to be going along good and hear that voice in your head say "ALL STOP!!" "HUH? What's wrong? Oh yeah, I didn't hear the primer hit! Lets fix that right now!!" Sometimes voices in the head aren't all bad. Works for me anyway. Mostly.

jim4065
11-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Think you're right about Bullshop Junior's suggestion. Took the red cap of the bottom, trimmed the hose a little and propped a bake pan at an angle under there. The spent primer makes a loud enough sound to get past the crickets and rolls out of the way. :drinks:

DanWalker
11-09-2008, 03:50 AM
Ditto to what Dan'l said. I use an empty powder can for my catch can.(Bullseye I think)

DLCTEX
11-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Considering all the junk that goes down the hole it may be a good idea to run a brush down it occasionally.