PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a question

steelholder
08-17-2019, 12:53 AM
Hello everyone I am new here but have been lurking or a while. I have purchased some of the 250 gr Missouri Bullet HC projectiles in hopes of using it on a 45 Super setup.

http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=262&category=5&secondary=13

Does anyone have any load data or COAL info on these? Thanks.

Conditor22
08-17-2019, 01:54 AM
Welcome to CB
The 45 super basically shoot 45ACP +P loads. Any load you find for 45 ACP will work in the super I found these references googling:
45 super load data for 250 gr cast bullets & 45 ACP load data for 250 gr cast bullets.

I can't confirm/verify any of these loads so you need to do some research, start low and use common sense.

https://www.xdtalk.com/threads/more-45-super-chrono-data-updated-with-pressure-data.205216/

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/45-super.42976/

Just did my first load testing, here's what I arrived at:

New Starline. 45 Super brass
CCI large pistol primer
7.1 grains Alliant Power Pistol (.45ACP+P load for a 240 grain Nosler HC) WORK UP TO THIS LOAD!!!
.452 250 grain LRNFP

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?41573-45acp-250-RNFP-Data&p=449567&viewfull=1#post449567

Tmaloy
08-17-2019, 03:57 AM
Agree with conditor22 power pistol is a proven powder in the .45 Super. Works with wide range of 45 projectiles. I suggest the glock talk forum they have a lengthy thread on the subject of loading it. Check the reloading archive.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

steelholder
08-18-2019, 10:11 PM
Thanks, when there is no load data, how do you guys know what the proper COAL should be?

Don1357
08-18-2019, 10:33 PM
The book. Get the book. Any reloading book. They all have this info for all the calibers they cover.

Do not reload without the book. If you go by what you read on the internet make sure you take a video. it could be an epic fail.

steelholder
08-18-2019, 10:36 PM
I have the book and it doesn't have info on the projectiles I want to load.

Dieselhorses
08-18-2019, 10:59 PM
I have the book and it doesn't have info on the projectiles I want to load.

Check HERE. (http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol) (Hodgdon's website). And by all means buy another book! Can't have too many reloading manuals!

steelholder
08-19-2019, 09:50 AM
Thanos for link but when selecting 45 acp it is limited to 230 grain

reddog81
08-19-2019, 10:09 AM
Thanks, when there is no load data, how do you guys know what the proper COAL should be?

The longest OAL that'll function in your gun.

You're asking some very basic questions about a rather advanced topic. If you can't find the load data you want you'll either need to extrapolate from known data or start experimenting from scratch. There's plenty of 250 grain 45 ACP load data online. Hopefully you have a chronograph.

gwpercle
08-19-2019, 12:19 PM

Trial and error ... Load up some dummy rounds , no primer , no powder . experiment with seating depth . The loaded rounds must pass the plunk test and fit into the magazine .
Make up 4 or 5 and load the magazine , see if they will manually cycle through the gun . I stand next to the bed so the dummies fall on a soft place. When they pass the plunk and will manually feed from magazine into chamber and eject nicely..... It's time to load some with powder and primer for a range test .
Save the dummies for setting your dies next time .
Back in the old days this was how it was done...
Gary

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-19-2019, 12:26 PM
steelholder,
welcome to the forum.

Loading cast boolits has a few different rules than loading jacketed bullets.
A good reloading manual, Like the "Lyman cast bullet handbook, 4th Ed" will be a big help to you.

But as to your COAL question, gwpercle gave you the advice we all learned when we started loading cast and couldn't find any trustworthy COAL specs....because there isn't any.

steelholder
08-19-2019, 12:46 PM
The longest OAL that'll function in your gun.

You're asking some very basic questions about a rather advanced topic. If you can't find the load data you want you'll either need to extrapolate from known data or start experimenting from scratch. There's plenty of 250 grain 45 ACP load data online. Hopefully you have a chronograph.

Trial and error ... Load up some dummy rounds , no primer , no powder . experiment with seating depth . The loaded rounds must pass the plunk test and fit into the magazine .
Make up 4 or 5 and load the magazine , see if they will manually cycle through the gun . I stand next to the bed so the dummies fall on a soft place. When they pass the plunk and will manually feed from magazine into chamber and eject nicely..... It's time to load some with powder and primer for a range test .
Save the dummies for setting your dies next time .
Back in the old days this was how it was done...
Gary

steelholder,
welcome to the forum.

Loading cast boolits has a few different rules than loading jacketed bullets.
A good reloading manual, Like the "Lyman cast bullet handbook, 4th Ed" will be a big help to you.

But as to your COAL question, gwpercle gave you the advice we all learned when we started loading cast and couldn't find any trustworthy COAL specs....because there isn't any.

Thanks, I thought it would be something like this. I was just concerned with seating something too deep and pressure issues.

mdi
08-19-2019, 12:50 PM
Good info above on what to do now, but if I may, I have a hint for the future; find a load and specs. for what you want to load in your manual before you buy any components. Saves time and avoids headaches...

If you cannot find specific load data (and you have experience reloading) you can find a similar bullet (composition, weight, profile) and use starting loads for that bullet. Err on the side of caution and you can work up a load for your components...

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-19-2019, 12:51 PM
Thanks, I thought it would be something like this. I was just concerned with seating something too deep and pressure issues.

well, as always, work up your loads.
if no starting loads are available, start with 10% below Max.

gwpercle
08-19-2019, 01:10 PM
I think in this case (excuse the bad pun) 45 Super , If you can't find any loading data I would take some 45 acp or auto rim data as a starting point . 45 auto rim does have data for 250 grain boolits and I would feel safe starting there .
Start low and work up .
I looked in my three newest reloading manuals , Lyman #4 , Speer #14 and Hornady #8 and found absolutely nothing on 45 Super...Nada , zip, zilch ... not one mention .
I can see the OP's point....where do you start !
Gary

Wayne Smith
08-21-2019, 07:42 AM
Consider also your platform. Very different loading for a semiauto than for a Contender barrel. For a semiauto you have minimum of functioning the slide and on the other end you want to avoid battering your frame. Changing springs can counter some of these issues on either side. For a single shot barrel you really need a chronograph to know for sure what is happening.