PDA

View Full Version : Transfer info please

PB234
08-16-2019, 04:58 PM
I am an Ill resident who has found a single shot 22 target rifle for sale in North Carolina where I spent a lot of time and am there now. Can I legally do a private purchase and buy the rifle from the seller face to face, or can I buy it from a NC ffl by doing a transfer through them or do I need to have the seller ship it to an ffl in Illinois I use for transfers and then acquire it from the ILL FFL?

Thanks,

T_McD
08-16-2019, 05:02 PM
Ffl to ffl is the only interstate way I know of, but I am not in either state.

Land Owner
08-16-2019, 05:19 PM
Buy the rifle now in NC, face-to-face, if the seller is willing. It will soon enough be in your IL safe as just another rifle. Once it is in your possession, who is to say where you got it or when - and more importantly, why would they ask and whose business is it of theirs anyway? There is NOTHING wrong with my thinking in this regard. Buy it. Enjoy it.

PB234
08-16-2019, 05:50 PM
I looked and to be prefectly OK it has to be shipped from NC to my FFL in Ill. Cost of shipping is maybe $40 and the transfer about $25. I will stay perfectly legal and support an FFL who I want to see make money and stay open. It can go from a person to an FFL.

Wayne Smith
08-18-2019, 04:18 PM
Generally a long gun tansfer between contiguous states is OK. In Virginia I can buy a long gun in NC or WVa and take it home. Come to think of it, Tenn. as well. I suppose I could in Md, but why would I take the chance?

Petrol & Powder
08-18-2019, 04:28 PM
I think Wayne is correct, a long gun in an adjoining state is generally OK if you can lawfully possess it in your home state.

Illinois is not an adjoining state to North Carolina, so my first instinct is to have it shipped to a FFL in your home state and handle the transfer there.

I think the OP's stance of having it shipped to a FFL near his residence is the prudent thing to do.

Sig556r
08-19-2019, 10:49 AM
Even if I'm absolutely sure I can purchase firearm face-to-face out of state, I'll still pay FFL transfer just to be safe. That's just me, ymmv.