PDA

View Full Version : Question about RCBS JR3

Petrol & Powder
08-16-2019, 01:06 PM
I have (among others) an old RCBS JR3 press. I was looking at the toggle block (fulcrum) and noticed that it pivots on a large pin but there is only one spring washer (bow washer) on one side. I looked up a parts diagram and sure enough, there's only 1 bow washer locating that toggle.

My first thought was there should be a bronze washer on the other side, or at least another bow washer on the opposite side to center that toggle in the frame.

My second thought was, "RCBS knew what they were doing when they made that thing, leave it alone you idiot".

I'm leaning towards my second inclination of leaving it alone but I'm wondering if anyone has added a bronze washer or some other spacer to their JR3 press.

winelover
08-17-2019, 07:05 AM
Out of curiosity, went down to the shop and checked my 70's vintage JR3............wave washer on one side, the right. The JR3 was my first press, which I purchased in kit form. Was my only press for many years. Outlasted the Lyman Orange Crusher, which was the second press I owned. It resides in a box, in the garage. I still do all my pistol/carbine reloading on the JR. The only other press I have is a Hollywood Senior turret, dedicated to my bottle necked rifle cartridges.

That being said, I would leave it alone. It it ain't broke don't fix it.

Winelover

Petrol & Powder
08-17-2019, 09:22 AM
Out of curiosity, went down to the shop and checked my 70's vintage JR3............wave washer on one side, the right. The JR3 was my first press, which I purchased in kit form. Was my only press for many years. Outlasted the Lyman Orange Crusher, which was the second press I owned. It resides in a box, in the garage. I still do all my pistol/carbine reloading on the JR. The only other press I have is a Hollywood Senior turret, dedicated to my bottle necked rifle cartridges.

That being said, I would leave it alone. It it ain't broke don't fix it.

Winelover

Yep, I'm leaving it alone.

It just seemed like an odd design. You would think that toggle would be centered in the frame as opposed to being pushed to one side but that's how they made it.