PDA

View Full Version : .444 plinker loads

k8bor
10-31-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm looking to make up some .444 plinker loads (1,000fps) for my .444 with plain base 240 gr. cast boolits. Can a person load up small doses on AA-5 for something like that, or do you have to go to unique or bullseye?

I was just wondering, because mouse gun charges of AA-5 meter well, and unique and bullseye don't.

If not AA-5, then any other suggestion would be welcome

Thanks

jimkim
10-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Look here. This may help. http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

krag35
10-31-2008, 09:55 PM
.437 RB and 10 gr of unique. Not the bullet you asked about, nor the powder, but it works good for me. Lyman's 429667 and 14 Gr of blue Dot is a good one also.

k8bor
11-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks a lot guys. Jimkim that article is great.

Larry Gibson
11-03-2008, 01:32 PM
I have shot thousands of such loads from a varity of cartridges. I have found that Bullseye is, by far and away, the best powder for such loads. For example; in a 45-70 (I don't have a .444) I use 6 gr of Bullseye under a 210 gr HB bullet for 1050 fps and 8 gr of Bullesye under a 275 gr cast bullet for the same 1050 fps out of my trapdoor carbine and rifles. The reason for Bullseye is that it reaches and efficient burn at low enough pressures to keep the bullets under the speed of sound. It also ignites easily in large volume cases and is not position sensity (unless the rifle is held at accute angles).

Larry Gibson

k8bor
11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm going to experiment with most of what you guys have sent me. I have AA-5, Unique, and W-231 (recommended in that write-up) and I can pinch some bullseye from a fellow reloading friend to try out too.

I'm thinking if I can get about 1,200 fps out of a 265 gr. ranch dog cast, I can both practice and hunt whitetails with it too. It should be pretty accurate, and easy on the shoulder too.

I'm getting the impression after investigating this situation, that faster pistol powders work fairly well, but are NOT recommended standard practice because of the possibility of double or even triple loading. Makes sense. I'm however interested in shooting a lot without dumping 30 or 40 gr. of powder every time I pull the measure handle.

Thanks all again. I'll report my results when it is I get some of these loaded and shot. I'm just going to make sure I start slow and work up carefully.

Tony65x55
10-28-2009, 09:35 PM
I have shot thousands of such loads from a varity of cartridges. I have found that Bullseye is, by far and away, the best powder for such loads. For example; in a 45-70 (I don't have a .444) I use 6 gr of Bullseye under a 210 gr HB bullet for 1050 fps and 8 gr of Bullesye under a 275 gr cast bullet for the same 1050 fps out of my trapdoor carbine and rifles. The reason for Bullseye is that it reaches and efficient burn at low enough pressures to keep the bullets under the speed of sound. It also ignites easily in large volume cases and is not position sensity (unless the rifle is held at accute angles).

Larry Gibson

I too have found Bullseye to be magic in the .444. Eight grains of Bullseye under a 300 gr. cast bullet will rip the x-ring out of a 50 yard target all day. I don't use a filler either and have never had any ignition issues.