just bought a Ruger no 1 in 44 magnum

would this bullet be good for hunting

and if any of you have this mold would like to have your opinion

white eagle
08-14-2019, 12:01 PM
not that exact one but used a similar one and worked real well

Larry Gibson
08-14-2019, 12:08 PM
Might be better served in the rifle with a GC'd bullet, especially if a softer alloy might be used or you have to drive it fast if the Ruger has a slow twist.

canuck4570
08-14-2019, 12:20 PM
the twist is 1/20
if they are oven quench would you still put a gas check?

white eagle
08-14-2019, 01:44 PM
if it needs a check put one on it can't hurt
even when water hardened
remember the base is the last thin leaving yer barrel
and the first thing in the case better to have a nice flat
and square one to start

bluejay75
08-14-2019, 02:55 PM
NOE makes 4 cavity molds that you can get two GC and two PB boolits per cast. Accurate makes them as well I think.

I have 6 x 44 magnum rifles. 280 grains will serve you well. WFN Boolits want to expand so try to find the balance. Hard enough to give good accuracy soft enough to expand. None of my 6 needs gas checks. With the weight of the boolit in the link you won’t either. You might get 1450 FPS with 300 mp or H110.

But I have going that 280 keeps impact velocity in a range that most any homebrewed boolits will expand.

bmortell
08-14-2019, 05:22 PM
for my guns I was debating between that 325 and the 300R which look very similar, but I went with 300R because I needed it to fit a revolver shorter than a redhawk cylinder also. but it works well in my revolvers and levergun apart from not cycling which aint a problem for you. I got it over 1400 in a 9.5" SRH with h110, then used a bit milder load of 2400 for same MV in rifle. I used 3.6% antimony 2.3% tin air cooled PC'd and expansion was just were I wanted where it trumpet shape but not falling apart. if you size right and play with hardness or maybe shake and bake pc em you should be able to get accuracy without a gascheck. but ya it would hammer things quite well and go through a lot.

canuck4570
08-14-2019, 05:50 PM
what I am afraid of is in a 20 inch barrel might get to much velocity and leading
but its worth to try
if you had no leading in a revolver forcing cone and all should be easy in a barrel to get no leading
anyway I am not looking for extreme velocity

megasupermagnum
08-14-2019, 06:36 PM
If you are looking for a big WFN bullet for a rifle, I think you would be doing yourself a favor by starting with the Lee 420-310-RF. It comes in both 2 cavity and 6 cavity molds. That's my opinion, assuming you do not already own a 44 caliber mold.

canuck4570
08-14-2019, 06:38 PM
don't like aluminium mold

Larry Gibson
08-14-2019, 07:45 PM
what I am afraid of is in a 20 inch barrel might get to much velocity and leading
but its worth to try
if you had no leading in a revolver forcing cone and all should be easy in a barrel to get no leading
anyway I am not looking for extreme velocity

Your oven quenched bullets should do well up through 13-1400 fps, perhaps a bit higher.

longbow
08-14-2019, 08:40 PM
The 1:20" twist should handle the heavyweights well but check groove diameter. If the barrel is to SAAMI spec for groove diameter it will run 0.431" so needs a "fat" boolit. I use 0.433" and up to 0.435" in my Marlin 1894.

Also, I use all PB boolits even with "hot" loads nearing max. No leading issues with fat boolits so far. I do see a bit of gas cutting on the base band on recovered boolits but not bad. Likely doesn't help accuracy but all in all the PB boolits shoot well for me.

I started out with a Lyman 429421 that cast right on 0.429" with ACWW. Not only was OAL too long for the Marlin to feed reliably, it didn't like the SWC very much though neither of those issues will be a problem for you. The small 429421 did result in poor accuracy and bad leading. Fattening up the boolits and lightly lapping the barrel solved the leading problem for me.

While a gas check certainly wouldn't hurt I don't see the need for my shooting.

Longbow

44Blam
08-14-2019, 11:43 PM
I have an Accurate mold that is a brass mold with two chambers 43-240A and two chambers 43-240AG.
I shoot both of these in my Ruger Redhawk and Henry Big Boy H0012. I load the GC boolits with W296 or AA11 and the PB boolits with Unique or Trailboss.

canuck4570
08-15-2019, 11:47 AM
one more question
if I stick with the bullet mentioned above is the 1/20 twist enough to stabilize such a long and heavy bullet

Larry Gibson
08-15-2019, 02:06 PM
How long is the bullet?

bmortell
08-15-2019, 03:49 PM
marlins only have half that much twist, your fine

canuck4570
08-15-2019, 03:51 PM
How long is the bullet?

the bullet is .848 long

murf205
08-15-2019, 04:21 PM
the bullet is .848 long

That boolit should be stable above 750 fps. I am quite sure you'll drive it faster than that. As far as a mold with 2 different cavities, it is a great idea. I have an Accurate mold with 2 GC cavities and 2 PB cavities and my 45/70 CB likes both of them (lucky me!). I use the pb for most loads and the gc's for full tilt rounds. You said you dont care for aluminum but the one I have from Accurate is a joy to cast with.

canuck4570
08-15-2019, 04:45 PM
I say I don't like aluminium its because I had a Lee once and no no
I am certain aluminum from accurate would be a different story

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-15-2019, 05:22 PM
Canuck4570,

I have a number of Accurate molds in aluminum. All 4 or more cavities. GREAT MOLDS/

Whole different thing then the lee molds, especially if your talking older lee molds!!!

For use in the rifle, RUGER #1 or other wise, I would order the mold made for gas check use.

I have a 275/280gr Accurate Mold made for the .444. My son has that rifle in a Marlin.

However, I have used that bullet in the RUGER 77/44 and have taken deer with it. One shot, dead right where they stood.

The link you posted shows a bullet with a large meplat, or Wide Flat Nose. That is good!

Forget worrying about expansion!!!!!!!!! That is the reason for the WFN. If the bullet expands so be it, but have used WFN cast in my 45/50 for deer and elk and more recently in the 44, the WFN is VERY effective on game!!!!!!!!!!

So, Look at the Accurate Molds selection for Gas Check use, pick one in the 275gr range or a bit heavier and go for it.

I have tested the triple 4 bullet in my .44 rifle to right at 1900fps, but hunted with it at 1750fps.

In my #1 - 45/70, I have tested a lot at above 2000fps with a 355gr and leading is not an issue!

Both are gas check designs.

Better results in the 45/70 came with a 465gr WFN at 1650fps.

Alloy in the .44 is just plain old clip on Wheel Weights, water quenched as they fall from the mold while the alloy for the 45/70 is 50/50 Wheel Weights/lead with the bullets quenched as they drop from the mold.

Great results!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

canuck4570
08-15-2019, 05:25 PM
getting to like the mold with one cavity plain base and the other one gas check

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-15-2019, 05:33 PM
Not nearly enough production for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then, I am a one bullet and load for one gun person so why would I want to cast two bullets of different designs and never use one of them? Besides taking hours with a single cavity mold to cast enough bullets for a shooting session.

Even My 45/70, 465gr WFN mold is a 4 cavity.

CDOC

canuck4570
08-15-2019, 05:48 PM
you have a good point there
how about a 4 cavity 2 of each

I like 4 cavity I have a Ruger no 1 in 4570 and the rib was modified to put a Burris scout scope..... and I have some 4 cavity and yes they save time

Boolseye
08-15-2019, 06:27 PM
That way you can also compare, see whether there’s a difference in accuracy between PB and GC.
Thought about going that route with
a .40 boolit but just went with PB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-15-2019, 07:44 PM
Better to have a mold with just one cavity style! Rather then having a mold with a couple styles one of which is unused and worthless.

If you buy a Mold with just one "reasonable" type bullet, there will be some resale possibilities where with a two cavity Mold, you have a half a mold and that only one cavity.

I don't hate casting, but when I cast I want to maximize production, so much so that when casting with other then my 45/70 mold where I use a different alloy, I run at least 3 molds at one time - hopefully at least 4 cavities each - which allows for a great lot of bullet in a 2 - 3 hour session.

To each his own, but that is how the Ol'Coot see it.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

murf205
08-16-2019, 08:16 AM
you have a good point there
how about a 4 cavity 2 of each

I like 4 cavity I have a Ruger no 1 in 4570 and the rib was modified to put a Burris scout scope..... and I have some 4 cavity and yes they save time

Now you're cookin'. Especially with a 44. If your rifle "likes" the 2 GC cavities, you still have the PB cavities for a handgun.

bigboredad
08-16-2019, 11:01 AM
Remember accurate molds are truly custom. You can have it any way you want you just have to ask. If you have a question email Tom and ask him he will answer in a timely matter. You don't have to wait for 20 or more to like a design you are the only one who has to like it.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-16-2019, 11:27 AM
Yep, Tom is good!

Don't call!!!!!!!!! send him an email. He has always been quick to reply for me.

Again, just the way the Ol'Coot does it, but I cast and use VERY few .44s that are not gas checked!

Maybe if someone would talk me out of my RedHawk and trade me into a new GP100 in 44 Special, I might have a different perspective, but have seen little to no reason to down load the 44 mag. even though I don't find the .44 mag near as much fun as it was 15 years back.

I have the scoped RedHawk listed on a local internet classifieds, but no response yet.

Have been shooting the same fodder out of the RedHawk lately as I use in the RUGER 77/44, but for years my go to load with the RedHawk was a 310gr Wide Flat Nose right at 1300fps from the 5.5" barrel. Believe me, that rocks and rolls!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

canuck4570
08-16-2019, 03:50 PM
to have a hand gun here is like trying to convince your wife to have a mistress
will be shooting all in my no 1

murf205
08-16-2019, 04:56 PM
sorry brother, I forgot where you live. I think we guys south of the border take some of our liberties for granted until we are reminded. Since that is the case, and since your rifle is a single shot, GC molds make good sense and so does your mold choice.

canuck4570
08-16-2019, 08:34 PM
sorry brother, I forgot where you live. I think we guys south of the border take some of our liberties for granted until we are reminded. Since that is the case, and since your rifle is a single shot, GC molds make good sense and so does your mold choice.

if you where not hour nabbers it would be worst
keep the good works for keeping the 2 amendment

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-17-2019, 03:01 AM
Canuck4570,

Hey, I believe I sent some samples to a fellow I met when he stopped by to pick up a 45/70 Marlin on a motor cycle trip in the U.S.

Those were 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast.

I forgot just how I mailed them, but apparently they arrived with no problems at the boarder.

Now, I have a bunch of boolets for the .444, cast, gas checked and lubed from the Accurate Arms mold 43-275MG that are sized .432 and weigh in right at 280gr. These are cast of clip on wheel weights and water quenched as they drop from the mold.

Bought the mold for a son's triple 4 Marlin, but have used quite a few in my RUGER 77/44 rifle and taken two deer with that bullet at about 1750fps I have tested it to about 1900fps.

The lube is LBT (Lead Bullet Technology) soft blue.

If you think you'd be interested in testing some of these bullets and if it would be possible to get them too you, I'd be willing to send some samples your way.

If this could be worked out, that would allow you to do some tests and providing that bullet worked out for you, you could order just one mold and be good to go.

My son says this bullet is quite accurate in his .444, but at this point I get about a 4" group at 100yds. That bullet sure did the job on the two deer, the one at a measured 95 - 100yds. complete pass through behind the shoulder and dropped where it stood. The other, a nice buck was much closer facing me. Hit the neck, full penetration of the neck bone, then on through a shoulder - upper shoulder blade - and exited. Of course, dead where it stood.

In the little RUGER rifle, it is a thumper on both ends.

The heavier bullet you linked has the large meplat which is great, but not sure there would be that much to gain over the 280gr WFN from a .44mag case.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

canuck4570
08-17-2019, 07:11 AM
thank's for the offer
but don't take the chance
there was a thread and the fellow who mailed them to Canada had to pay a find for trying to mail some bullets
I think the thread was on the exange section....

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-17-2019, 12:49 PM
Canuck4570,

OUCH, that doesn't sound good!

To bad we don't know someone that will be making the crossing one way or the other that could ferry the goodies. Might have saved you some bucks.

CDOC

canuck4570
08-17-2019, 02:28 PM
since I am not using a lever action I can single load in the no 1
so I am looking for a bullet with long nose out of the case leaving more space for powder this way less pressure (not looking for super hot loads) and still be able to use a heavy bullet in the 280 to 320 gr.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-17-2019, 04:15 PM
Canuck45/70,

Yet, understand that single loading. I current have two #1 RUGERS and have owned a number of others.

However, I just looked up the 43-325 and note that the nose from the crimp groove is listed as .5 while the same measurement on the 43-275mg is .315.

The point is, there will be little to no difference in the available case/powder capacity in the .44 mag case, between the two bullets as most if not all of the weight difference between the two bullets is in the nose.

No problem on my end if you choose the heavier bullet, I'm just left to wonder if there is much to gain.

Of course, with the Reasonable effective hunting range being about 100yds plus maybe a bit more, the trajectory advantage with a lighter and possibly faster bullet of 280gr. being of questionable advantage.

I'm guess your .44mag #1 at having a 22" barrel is that correct? My little RUGER 77/44 has a barrel length of about 18.5" and I've tested the 280gr up to right at 1900fps.

The accuracy was just more in the range of 1750fps.

If in fact, the #1 is 22', that will possibly give you some velocity advantage, but we still come back to at what velocity is the accuracy the best.

Even at the .44 velocities, there wouldn't be many critters asking for a second round with the 325gr. and it should be awesome on black bear, deer, etc., with well placed shots at reasonable range.

CDOC

canuck4570
08-17-2019, 04:41 PM
the barrel length is 20 inches
on bullet from accurate is the
http://www.accuratemolds.com/img/bullets/catalogue/43-290V.png
that one has a gas check and would be interesting velocity wise

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-17-2019, 05:04 PM
That is likely to be a really good choice for a .44 bullet.

Don't know how much you have been around the #1s, but they are NOT light in general. Your 20" should be really nice!

However, I have a 22" barrel 45/70 that is a delight to handle and carry. Short barrel and big hole make for a nice weight.

However, for the #1 - .223 I stocked in the early 80s and just recently reclaimed after it was a safe queen for years in a friend's safe, it is long barrel and tiny hole and HEAVY just like most of the #1"B"s.

But that awesome and highly figured black walnut just recently rec'd back from the checkering lady makes it a delight to behold even if it is heavy.

Once owned, wish I still did, a #1 "B" in 22/250 that someone had chopped to 22". WOW, that rifle was ever so handy and fun and there was never a fuzzy critter that felt something was missing with that 4" shorter barrel.

Like the #1s, and have been a lover since the day I first saw a magazine ad for one, back in the days when a new one cost $265 bucks.

I gave $1200 to reclaim the .223, which is a lot more then it cost to build in the late 70s or early 80s. Then another 5 to get the checkering done. Guess you could say I'm now enjoying a 2000 - 2500dollar rifle. Should never have sold or traded it off way back when but you know what they say about too soon old and too late smart.

But, WOW is it awesome now!

CDOC

canuck4570
08-17-2019, 06:04 PM
the rifle weight 7.1 + the Aimpoint hunter 30s it will be around 8.5
recoil will be light even with full load
at the moment I am gathering the reloading components for it
speaking about 45-70 I have one that my son modified the rib to mount a scout scope..... love it

longbow
08-17-2019, 10:10 PM
On the subject of shipping boolits, bullets or other reloading supplies out of the States... it is illegal. It is not illegal to bring them into Canada, it is illegal for Americans to ship them out of the States if you don't have an FFL. It is also illegal for a non-US citizen to be in possession of reloading items such as bullets, boolits, brass, powder, primers, etc. States. Also illegal to possess loaded ammunition unless you are attending a sanctioned shoot or have a valid non-resident hunting license but... you cannot take any of the loaded ammunition out of the States when you leave so shoot it all up.

I could understand some government concern if someone came into the States with a tourist visa and simply picked up a few tons of powder and ammunition then left, but really, cast boolits, empty brass, illegal to export... even in small quantities! Seems odd.

I mention this because the subject comes up often. I used to buy all my reloading supplies in Colville Washington but Homeland Security put an end to that. We Canadians are foreigners so not allowed to buy that stuff anymore and you aren't allowed to send us any either.

Sad but true.

I'm sure this has upset the plans of some terrorists somewhere but I'm not sure where or who!

Longbow

dkf
08-17-2019, 11:04 PM
This is the NOE version of the Lee 310gr bullet. But this is available in .434" which is useful for a lot of rifles. The aluminum NOE uses also is more durable than what Lee uses and overall it is a better quality mold than Lee.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=37_200&osCsid=l8gagupbtum6l51olverrt7b54

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-18-2019, 12:13 AM
Good info Longbow. Sad, but I guess true.

CDOC

canuck4570
08-18-2019, 08:43 AM
another question

seizing my 45-70 brass I turn down my die just enough to put it at .0003 below my cast bullet than open it up to .0001 under the bullet
the 45-70 it tapered case
the 44 magnum really straight. only .0001 difference
my question is am I better with a regular die or a carbide
the Redding carbide seems interesting it has 2 carbine ring
read that the carbide seize to much
anyone who has experience with the Redding carbide please come forward

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-18-2019, 10:44 AM
Little experience with Redding products, but if your talking about loading for the .44, just buy a 3 die set from RCBS or Hornady and be done with it!!!!!!! Just don't over size and create a big ring towards the head of the case. NOT LIKELY to happen unless you have an over sized chamber or an undersized die - not likely.

On your 45/70 a standard 2 die set is all that is needed and just size enough to allow for smooth rechambering of the fired case and enough to assure consistent pressure between the case and the bullet.

Sorry, but this Ol'Coot is not quite clear on what you asking.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

longbow
08-18-2019, 11:56 AM
For my 1894 Marlin I "neck size" only by backing off my die. I have a Lee carbide sizing die and I am sure it is made to size for .44 mag. handgun spec bullets of 0.429"/0.430" but my Marlin is typical SAAMI spec rifle at 0.431" and I load 0.433"/0.434" boolits. That's quite a bit of brass stretching if I full length size... and its hard on boolits stretching the brass so partially sizes the lead. The carbide die also squeezes down the whole cartridge when full length sized so much that I get a large bulge at the base of the boolit. Looks terrible!

Not sure if this is just a Lee carbide die issue or common with all brands since Lee is all I have for the .44. A regular die might not make the case so straight at sizing? However, I have to think that all .44 sizing dies are set to size for 0.429"/0.430". If your Ruger #1 is SAAMI spec for rifle you will be shooting 0.432" minimum boolit diameter. I suspect you'll wind up backing off the die and neck sizing regardless.

Yes CDOC... sad but true! Makes it hard for us Canucks to get reloading supplies especially if you live in a rural area. One of my favourite stores in Colville was Clark's Allsports. In Spokane it was White Elephant and The General Store. I bought reloading supplies there for years until 9/11 then that put an end to us foreigners buying gun stuff in the States. BAH!

Longbow