PDA

View Full Version : problems with federal wads

sammy
10-31-2008, 10:48 AM
i got a new bag of fed 20 ga. 20s1 wads.
was having trouble seating them into case broke 2 wad guides in loader
i cheched the dia of the base they mic at .615 all other wads i have checked
winchester and rem mic out at .582-.588 talked to vendor he just said "interesting...."
can anyone verify that this is normal or a problem..:(

thanx in advance

turbo1889
10-31-2008, 01:23 PM
All Fed. wads including the 20S1 wads are intended for straight walled cases --- if you try to use them in a tappered wall hull such as Rem. or Win. hulls and try to seat them way down in the bottom of the hull you will have problems like this. Either use them in straight walled cases (Fed. and just about all imports) or use them in 3" magnum loads with bulky powders in Rem. or Win. hulls so that they aren't seated down in the bottom tappered part of the hull.

runfiverun
10-31-2008, 08:29 PM
what he/\ said the only other way to do it it to set them in by hand and use 0 wad pressure.

mikenbarb
10-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Most Federal wads are intendid for use in Federal hulls. A good wad for a Win. hull is Winchester WAA12 and Remington RXP12's for 1 1/8 oz. loads. I dont think any of the Winchester hulls will accept a Federal wad and verify all your data with a current load manual because if you just wing it your looking for some dangerous pressure levels that can do lots of serious damage. I would recommend Lymans current shotshell reloading manual because its one of the best I have found with lots of data for all gauges and .410 bores.

sammy
11-01-2008, 09:41 AM
this whole mess comes out of a frustrating endevor to load accurately the 20ga
lyman sabot slug..
the data i am using is old and scetchy at best..
i have used the lyman book for thease but the load data i am using calls for the 20 s1 wad
25gn 4756 and the remington rxp case.. i think that is the hull designation no data in front of me right now... the cases with the ribs

runfiverun
11-01-2008, 02:46 PM
the rxp is their old [really old] case that predates thir blue magic hulls. the ones that took the 159 primer.
these were straight walled hulls and took the rxp wad also.
i would get a newer book and work with the federal hulls. they have a bit more case capacity.
shotguns are low pressure affairs but it is very easy to jack the pressures up in a hurry.
if you are on an extremely low budget, swing by a trap club and grab some of the federal.
cheapo hulls from the walmart shells you can get a reload or two outta them.
and for hunting it ain't no loss if you can't find them.

sammy
11-01-2008, 08:17 PM
well you are correct about the age of the hulls... i bought 1000 of them back in the 80's
did tons of shootin with them still have tons left, but took your advice went and got fed cases
will try loading tommrow,and save the rxp's for birds and clays...

also could any info anyone could give regarding loading the sabot slugs.....

tkanx tons all of you great place for info!!!!!!!!!!!!