PDA

View Full Version : Hensley & Gibbs Mystery #50 4 Cavity Mould

Texasflyboy
10-31-2008, 08:45 AM
Folks, I've seen a lot of strange things over the years with moulds, but this takes the cake. This mould appeared on eBay today. I can only guess what is going on here:

1. Revenge. Someone wanted to screw up this mould permanently as revenge.

2. An aborted attempt at repair. I can only guess they intended to try and insert replacement cylinders with other or similar cavities to attempt a repair or improvement.

Any other guesses as to what was going on here is appreciated. I am out of ideas...

http://i34.tinypic.com/2usjvbo.jpg

madcaster
10-31-2008, 08:49 AM
Or trying to make a larger caliber?Possibly paper patch?:x

monadnock#5
10-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Core mould for swaging?

Revenge makes sense too. When the husband took off with the "other woman", it gave the scorned wife an opportunity to "customize" a few of his prize possessions.

deltaenterprizes
10-31-2008, 09:24 AM
Core mold,I did that to a Lee 2 cavity and a Lyman 4 cavity for cores for 44s

Texasflyboy
10-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Core mold,I did that to a Lee 2 cavity and a Lyman 4 cavity for cores for 44s

Hmmm...I've never swaged bullets, but wouldn't these be the largest .44 cal cores of all time?

I would guess a core that size would be well over 400 grains....

Also, did everyone notice that one of the alignment pins was hit on the first cavity?

The more I look at it the more I think somebody was pi$$ed and had access to a drill press.

:???:

GLL
10-31-2008, 11:27 AM
No matter what the intent why not make it a 3-cavity and leave that left alignment pin alone ??? :( :(

Jerry

hammerhead357
10-31-2008, 07:23 PM
I just looked at that on evilbay and came over here to post and find out that I am late as always. I can't fathom for the life of me why someone would do that other than either pi$$ed off or ate up with the dumba$$. What a waste of a good mould. Oh well maybe someone here needs parts. The handles and sprue plate look to be useable, even if the wood grips are wrapped with tape......Wes