PDA

View Full Version : Devastating accident

fatelk
08-13-2019, 05:33 PM
Please pray for my brother-in-law and family. They're facing some serious hardship. He was in a car accident and had to be flown to a big city hospital. Among other injuries he has cracked vertebrae and injured/swollen spinal cord. The doctors feel confident he should walk again, but he isn't able to move his arms at all, and they worry it may be permanent. I'd never heard of a spine injury where the legs worked but the arms/hands were paralyzed, but I guess that's what's going on.

On top of that, they farm. What limited insurance they have will max out, leaving them with huge medical bills. He's always been self employed in one form or another so there no disability insurance or anything like that. We're hoping and praying that he'll be able to regain the use of his arms. They're facing some difficult days, and can use all the prayer they can get. It's deja-vu for my sister. She lost her first husband to an accident 12 years ago. She's worked hard and made good choices in life, and doesn't deserve this. They have three young kids too.

Dieselhorses
08-13-2019, 05:42 PM
Prayers sent. We serve an awesome God and He will be there for your family!

Preacher Jim
08-13-2019, 06:22 PM
Praying for your bro. God can heal anything and i have my group praying for his healing.

Markopolo
08-13-2019, 06:34 PM
prayers sent sir.. it is not unusual for somebody to have a spinal injury where arms arent working and legs are.. the spinal cord is like a big phone cable with lots of little wires inside.. those little wires connect the different parts to the brain.. one becomes damaged or swollen it might stop working for a while, but when the swelling goes down, and the pressure of the injury leaves, the things start firing again... have hope, and pray sir..

TNRELOADER
08-13-2019, 08:02 PM
Prayers sent.

JBinMN
08-13-2019, 09:36 PM
In my prayers.

Pete44mag
08-13-2019, 10:00 PM
Your brother and his family are in my families daily prayers!

jmort
08-13-2019, 11:41 PM
Praying
Sorry to hear this

Three44s
08-14-2019, 12:08 AM
Prayers sent for a fellow farmer

Three44s

fatelk
08-14-2019, 01:38 AM
Thank you, everyone. I'll update if anything changes. They're all so happy that he's alive, but pretty freaked out about the paralysis. It's been less than a week though.

On a related note, everyone wear your seat belts! My brother-in-law is one of those guys who doesn't like to wear a seat belt. Apparently it would have made a difference had he been wearing one. Focus on driving when you're behind the wheel, and wear your seat belt. Life can change in an instance.

augercreek
08-14-2019, 05:53 AM
Prayers and the love of God be with you all.
Your brother in Christ Augercreek

buckwheatpaul
08-14-2019, 07:09 AM
Father, I come to You to implore You to be with fatelk's brother-in-law and his family as they go about getting treated for his car injury. Father, they are a simply family that farm the earth and they are in need of help as his bills mount up. Father, please give him comfort and heal him. Please take all fears away from his family and show them the way back to health and good tidings through Your love and help. AMEN

Wayne Smith
08-14-2019, 07:17 AM
Praying for complete and total healing. Only God can do that, so be ready to praise Him.

Sig556r
08-14-2019, 07:29 AM
Really sad news, prayers to your brother-in-law...

jcren
08-14-2019, 07:48 AM
Prayers sent

Pine Baron
08-14-2019, 08:27 AM
Prayers of healing sent.

cwlongshot
08-14-2019, 08:50 AM
VERY sorry to read... This hits close to home. In 1993 that was me. Cracked T11 @ 10 plus three lowest ribs pulled from my spine at cartilage/ vertebrae. In and out YEARS of trouble continuing troubles today.

Times have changed and Drs know and have more and better Equiptment and philosophies to better relieve the pain and speed recoveries associated.

Prayers to Doctors hands and all those effected.

CW

mattw
08-14-2019, 08:54 AM
Prayers sent! I spent 32 years farming with my dad, we were lucky as our farm was small and he had a good outside job. I hope that the family can weather the storm of medical issues and the darn bill chasers. Again, prayers sent.

ShooterAZ
08-14-2019, 08:58 AM
Prayers sent for your brother in law, for a full recovery.

USMC87
08-14-2019, 09:12 AM
So Sorry to hear this but we serve a Sovereign God and He will work according to His purpose and for His glory. We are adding your family to our prayer list.

Blackwater
08-14-2019, 01:15 PM
Gee whiz, fatelk! This is awful! Of all the things that can happen to us, figuring out why God lets things like this happen, out of the blue, is probably the hardest. I'm praying that he'll be an example of a miraculous return from such injuries. It happens sometimes, and is what I believe we need to be praying for. Spinal injuries can do all sorts of things, like causing pain far from the actual problem. It takes time to heal from these type things. Maybe God wanted him to have some time to rethink some things in his life??? Who knows? But it's certainly no time to lose faith, but a time to use it, and reaffirm our devotion, and hopes in God. God be with you all.

fatelk
08-17-2019, 05:26 PM
Thank you everyone. We really appreciate all the good words and prayers. I live in a different state, half a country away, but I keep up with everything by phone. He's out of the ICU and going to be starting the rehab process. Apparently he was able to twitch a finger or something, so that's good news. I think it's going to be a very long process.

Boaz
08-17-2019, 05:41 PM
Thank you for the follow up and good report as to moving to rehab .

fatelk
08-21-2019, 12:22 PM
Good news and bad news. Good news is there are tiny signs of improvement each day. He can wiggle a couple more fingers and move a foot. It’s going to be a long, slow recovery, with no idea how much he’ll recover.

The bad news is they will be financially destroyed. The “insurance” they have is Samaritan Ministries, a cost sharing thing that maxes out at 250k. They’re already over that for the hospital, and the rehab center wants something like 50k in advance. I’m guessing they’ll end up losing their land just to pay for rehab.

Boaz
08-21-2019, 02:02 PM
Will be praying for everything involved in their situation . Though his improvement is small it should increase as strength is gained and ability to work at it . Thoughts and prayer for the family .

yeahbub
08-23-2019, 12:10 PM
I'll include him in my prayers.

How about a go-fund-me account? Other folks do this for things that happen to them. Might be an option.

fatelk
08-23-2019, 02:45 PM
Thank you. Yes, they’re working on a go-fund-me, and friends are organizing a community fundraiser as well. My sister is optimistic about a good degree of recovery, but she said he’s really taking it hard emotionally.

It’s been really rough, with my dad also in the hospital there with extremely serious heart trouble. When it rains it pours.

The older I get the more I realize how trouble and heartache are part of life. The good times, when everything is going well and everyone is happy, are the times to treasure and enjoy, because the tough times will come. I read enough of the update and prayer request threads on here to know that hard times hit us all at some point. The prayers and kind words of friends and strangers alike help tremendously.

Smoke4320
08-23-2019, 03:01 PM
Prayers sent.. being self employed I understand some of what the family will be facing

Hogtamer
08-23-2019, 03:22 PM
Just saw this and praying for your BIL and your sister as well.

Blackwater
08-26-2019, 04:05 PM
God bless all of you, each according to your respective needs. And a special prayer for your BIL and sister, for their return to good health and good spirits as soon as possible. And as to "starting over," if they made it once, they'll be able to do it again. Just have faith and the Lord will provide a way for all of you.

And BTW, does Soc. Sec. Disability cover situations like this? Something to check into???

Hogtamer
08-31-2019, 07:45 PM
Update?

Big Tom
08-31-2019, 08:13 PM
Prayers are on the way.

Maybe it is worth starting a fund raising campaign on https://www.gofundme.com/ There are many people around that are willed to help financially. If you get the word out here and maybe some other forums, maybe it will spread and help them keeping their land.

Good news and bad news. Good news is there are tiny signs of improvement each day. He can wiggle a couple more fingers and move a foot. It’s going to be a long, slow recovery, with no idea how much he’ll recover.

The bad news is they will be financially destroyed. The “insurance” they have is Samaritan Ministries, a cost sharing thing that maxes out at 250k. They’re already over that for the hospital, and the rehab center wants something like 50k in advance. I’m guessing they’ll end up losing their land just to pay for rehab.

fatelk
09-04-2019, 11:26 PM
Sorry, slow to come back here. He's doing OK, in rehab. Recovery is going to be very slow going. The drs say they think he'll walk again eventually, and it looks like he'll most likely regain one arm, but the other side is not looking good, so far.

They do have a gofundme site set up. I'll have to get the info from my wife and post it later. It's been rough for them, my sister especially, dealing with an infant with medical problems also, and our dad and his heart attack and subsequent surgery. It's going to be a long road to recovery.

Pine Baron
09-05-2019, 09:57 AM
Prayers continue for all.

Boaz
09-05-2019, 04:00 PM
Prayer is sent , as Pine Baron said...to all involved .

fatelk
09-05-2019, 09:14 PM
Hope it's OK to post a Gofundme link? Just if anyone is interested. I don't want to be presumptuous; we really don't expect strangers to contribute financially. We really value all the good words and prayers!

https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-for-eric-iler

09-06-2019, 12:18 AM
Praying hard

fatelk
09-13-2019, 08:56 PM
Good news! He was able to take a few steps today, with support. His hands and arms are making very slow but steady improvements too. It’s going to take a long time and a lot of work, but it’s looking good for the long haul.

Hogtamer
09-13-2019, 09:07 PM
Amen! Thanks for the update, still praying for him and your daughter too!

fatelk
09-14-2019, 12:48 AM
I think you mean my sister

Pine Baron
09-14-2019, 08:26 AM
Prayers continue for your BIL and his rehab. It looks like he's making progress and with a good attitude and a lot of prayer this is going to all work out. Prayers for your sister and her little one. Prayers also for your dad and his recovery. And lastly, I'll be praying for you brother, that God gives you and yours the strength and comfort to keep steady and true.

Boaz
09-14-2019, 02:45 PM
His progress is good news !

fatelk
09-14-2019, 03:44 PM
Thank you everyone. Yes, it’s great news. It’s going to be a long hard recovery, but things are looking up. The long term financial repercussions are going to be tough, but they can deal with that as it comes. Their little one is doing fine.

My dad is slowly recovering as well. I asked my sister if I should be worried. Her husband, son, and father were all in the hospital at the same time, all of her close male relatives except me.

buckwheatpaul
09-14-2019, 08:31 PM
Fatelk, It seems like things are picking up and I know that God is in charge....and He is working through his doctors and therapists.....keep the update comings and we will keep the prayers going up......Paul

rockrat
09-14-2019, 08:49 PM
He might have to take bankrupcy because of the bills

I hope he gets back to full function again.

+1 on the seat belts. I figure they have saved my life at least 3 times.

Hogtamer
09-14-2019, 09:31 PM
I sure did fatelk!

fatelk
09-14-2019, 11:38 PM
I sure did fatelk!

No worries, I knew what you meant. :)

I know I've said this a lot, but thanks again to everyone! I read through this sub forum fairly regularly, and understand that we all go through tough times sometimes, some worse than others. It's a great group of people on here, that really care.

USMC87
09-15-2019, 08:30 AM
Still praying for God's guidance and comfort!