PDA

View Full Version : I may have the best neighbors of anybody

Winger Ed.
08-13-2019, 03:43 AM
One of my neighbors has several acres sort of down a house, and around the bend in the road.
He runs some cows to get the agriculture break on his property tax,
and to stay occupied between vacation trips, and other 'Honey do,,,,' retirement projects.

He's got a big old 1970's issue Ford Diesel tractor he bought 15 years ago that ran,,, but 'needed a little work'.
It had been crashed and some steering components were bent, and there was 180 degrees of play in the steering wheel.
But that wasn't a problem until he put powering steering fluid in it, and when the steering wheel turned through the play-
and 'caught' so to speak,,,,,,,, it instantly snatched the tires full over.... Totally uncontrollable.

He asked me to look at it, and I took it on as a challenging project.
I heated & straightened the radius and steering rods, etc.
All these components had gotten quite comfortable where they were, and sure didn't want to be taken off much less apart.
When I took off the steering box-- to 'look at it', there was no damage, no worn out parts--- it just didn't work right.

It was the most head scratching project I'd had in years. Four moving parts--(How hard can it be?) but it just wouldn't work right.
I'd taken it apart at least 10 times. About the time I was going to tell him get a fat checkbook ready, it has to be replaced....
It popped into my head that there was two .030" shims in the wrong place.
That did it, I re-arranged them, put it together again,,,,,,,,,,and it works like brand new!

We were both happier than a dog with a new stick!
He spent all the next day dragging a mower deck around. It was a sight to see----
Out in 100 degree heat, and he's grinning.
Making turns all over the place with the power steering that never worked before.

Anyway:
The Mrs. came in a little while ago and told me to check my email.
In it was a thank you note and a Amazon gift card for $500.
That just blew me away.
I'd told him from the get-go, I was glad to do it, and the project would keep me out of crooked Bingo parlors.

Anyway---
Since I've gotten back into reloading, I really really wanted another progressive for doing .45s & .38s.
But, can't really justify it by telling the Mrs. how much money I'll save by getting one,,,, etc. etc.

"Justifying my NEED" for the new single stage Hornady- that hasn't even gotten it's first scratch yet
was like trying to put a flea collar on a bobcat.

Well, the stars came together.
It's what I call 'off budget' and should be here by the end of the week.
Then I can bolt down the new Hornady progressive that replaces my old Pro-Jector.

I can't get over it,,, I've got some of the best neighbors ever.

Bookworm
08-13-2019, 04:26 AM
Sweet ! Like pennies from heaven !

Like some others, I also like a challenging project. To take on a project, with no expectation of remuneration, and to get a surprise such as that is wonderful !

Back when I was doing heavy line automotive, the jobs I least liked were the ones that someone else had already been in. One never knew what had gone before - much like your "two .030" shims in the wrong place". Someone had been in there, and mucked it up. Without a manual, pretty much flying blind, it's a hard row to hoe.

Congrats, and enjoy the new press.

Although, just the accomplishment it is a good feeling.

lightman
08-13-2019, 07:34 AM
It sounds like you're neighbor has a good neighbor too!

bedbugbilly
08-13-2019, 07:38 AM
Sounds to me like your neighbors are lucky to have you and your wife in the neighborhood as well...that's what it's all about . . . neighbors helping neighbors! Enjoy the new press!

Sig556r
08-13-2019, 07:43 AM
Job well done always get rewarded...have fun!

FISH4BUGS
08-13-2019, 12:12 PM
I had a neighbor like that too. I helped him move when he sold his farm and never expected anything. He gifted me a pristine 1924 made Savage Sporter in 25-20. He said "....heck....I never could find ammo for it anyway.....and I never had a clip for it"......
So after getting reloading dies, moulds, jacketed bullets, an original magazine and some brass later, the "gifted" rifle was ready to roll.....my new woodchuck gun.
I LIKE neighbors like him.

brass410
08-13-2019, 01:49 PM
good neighbors are few and far between. Hope you have a longtime good relationship, I sure miss my old neighbors.