PDA

View Full Version : ...........................Be still

Boaz
08-12-2019, 08:44 AM
Psalm 46:10

.................................................. ..............................Be still, and know that I am God .

buckwheatpaul
08-12-2019, 10:17 PM
I am still trying to learn this lesson!

SSGOldfart
08-12-2019, 10:20 PM
Humm guess I'll have to study this one for awhile.

Wayne Smith
08-13-2019, 08:51 AM
In our society being still is a major challenge - but the typical focus is on the wrong word. Yes, still is a problem with all the immediate demands and distractions of cell phones, social media, etc. But for most American men the big problem lies simply in 'being'. We specialize in the verb 'to do', literally to the extent that, when we meet a new guy, typically the second question we ask is 'What do you do?' - meaning profession or work. Most of us with any experience can answer that several ways, to boot. We are really good at doing. It is how we identify ourselves.

Simply 'Being' is a major challenge for all of us. Probably less of a challenge for our wives, but even for them it's a challenge. Remember that 'being' is not the absence of doing, although that is usually where it starts. 'Being' is who I am when I am doing, as well.

To 'be still' is both to allow one simply to be, and to deliberately not do.

Greg G.
08-13-2019, 09:26 AM
Amen.

After almost 3 weeks in the hospital this simple sentence was driven home. It's in my head, it just has to be in my heart, some days that is easier then others.

Blackwater
08-13-2019, 12:51 PM
We rush around chasing our personal goals and desires so much, it's hard to remember that our greatest thoughts and sentiments come in those small, still moments when we have dropped all those desires, and just communed with ourselves and the Lord. If we were good at "learning," we'd probably do a lot of things differently than we do.

USMC87
08-13-2019, 05:08 PM
Amen!