PDA

View Full Version : Screwdriver bit sets

Bazoo
08-11-2019, 08:35 PM
I have a winchester branded screwdriver bit set. Bout 10 bucks is what I gave. The driver bits actually fit well for most of the gun screws I have.

At a yardsale yesterday I picked up another kit, DAC brand, for 1.00. It appears all made by the same company, but had different bits. Some a little thicker and some a little thinner.

Before my house burnt I had a pachmayr set, same as the top two, as far as bit assortment (as in one row of flat tips and one row of others) and quality it appears by the same manufacturer.

I'd love a brownells set but dang they ain't cheap. Is there anything in between in quality? Or should I just buy several different sets and modify the bits as needed?

TheGunsmith
08-11-2019, 08:49 PM
I have a wheeler set. Definitely not the best or the worst but decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samari46
08-12-2019, 12:20 AM
Chapman also sells screw driver type bit sets. B-square also. I keep a Chapman in my range box. I shudder when someone whips out a regular screwdriver to make sight adjustments or fiddle with the action or scope screws. Frank

Bazoo
08-12-2019, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the replies. I knew wheeler and chapman but not bsquare.

When out and need be, I've used my leatherman. It sufficed but I had to be very careful to keep from damaging the screw. Fact is, most of the used guns I've bought have had screws that were damaged to some degree or another.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-12-2019, 11:16 AM
There are lots of these sets on the market now days, but not all of them are specifically designed for gunsmithing. An ordinary screwdriver/bit is ground so that the sides of the tip are parallel, rather than wedge shaped like an ordinary carpenter or mechanic's screwdriver. This allows the bit to enter the screw's slot farther, hopefully clear to the bottom of the slot, and provides a much better purchase on the screw for turning as the entire sides of the bit are in contact with the entire sides of the slot. The conventional wedge shaped screwdriver tip puts all of the turning pressure on the top part of the wedge, and widened slots and buggered screws are often the result. It's a fairly easy task to grind an ordinary screwdriver to a parallel sided profile with a bench grinder or even a sharp file, and before the bit sets became so common your old time gunsmiths used to buy handfuls of cheap ordinary screwdrivers that were on sale and grind them to fit screws as needed. Now there seems to be a competition on how many bits can come in a plastic boxed set, with quantity and price being the attractions. But a close examination of the bits in these bargain, mostly imported sets, will reveal that their profile is of the mechanic type and not suitable for gun work. They also can be ground to a parallel profile, but the little bits are hard to grind and hard to hang onto when grinding.

So, examine the bits closely before buying, and it is best to buy a 25 bit set that has a gunsmithing supply brand name like those mentioned above in earlier posts, than a 100 bit set for the same price made in China.

DG

alamogunr
08-12-2019, 11:57 AM
The best decision I ever made about gun accessories was buying the Brownell's set. I haven't used every bit in the set and it can take a few extra seconds to make sure that you pick a bit the fits exactly, but it is well worth the time and the money.

The box has a few extra positions to use as you find other bits are needed.

Green Frog
08-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Both my Wheeler and Chapman set, much as I like them, don’t hold up quite as well to hard stress as the old Brownell set. I’ve broken tips on both W & C, including one of the honking big tips I broke from the W set on a shotgun draw bolt. I can’t say it happens often, but I’ve never broken a tip from my B set. I still use all of them but Brownell is best... more expensive, but best. Just my experience, YMMV.

Froggie

pietro
08-12-2019, 03:02 PM
The best decision I ever made about gun accessories was buying the Brownell's set.

I haven't used every bit in the set and it can take a few extra seconds to make sure that you pick a bit the fits exactly, but it is well worth the time and the money.

+1

I've long discovered that buying lower quality tools can over the years lead to extras - unneeded replacement cost, extra work (if not poorer work), and some frustration.

Yes, the better quality tools cost more, but are actually more economical in the long run.

On point, I bought a Williams Gun Sight Co sight pusher over 40 years ago, and it has saved me untold damages to sight blades/ramps & barrels, that alone would have cost me more than I spent on the sight pusher.

Bazoo
08-12-2019, 03:02 PM
Thanks for those replies.

I do know the difference between regular and gunsmithing bits, and have modified a few as needed. What The man in Green describes is what I'm after, bits with slight differences for an exact fit.

I'd love a brownells set, but I'm not sure where to start and I can't swallow the cost of a set yet.

M-Tecs
08-12-2019, 03:30 PM
Size and fit are most people look at when purchasing bits. Of equal importance is the material and heat treat. Some are very good and some are junk. Generally you get what you pay for. This is based on years of depaneling aircraft for maintenance.

alamogunr
08-12-2019, 06:51 PM
Thanks for those replies.

I do know the difference between regular and gunsmithing bits, and have modified a few as needed. What The man in Green describes is what I'm after, bits with slight differences for an exact fit.

I'd love a brownells set, but I'm not sure where to start and I can't swallow the cost of a set yet.

I haven't looked at Brownell's screwdrivers lately, but as I recall they had basic sets and "fill-in" sets available as well as sets specific to particular firearms.

I understand where you are coming from. I couldn't afford a lot of things until both sons had finished their educations and I had provided for our retirement. I still give a lot of thought to everything I would like to buy and make sure that it is money well spent.

firebyprolong
08-15-2019, 11:30 AM
I tend to buy the pach sets and grind them as needed, I've had very good luck with them. they don't last like the brownells bits but I don't feel bad just trashing a bit and grabbing a fresh one. I also have one of the chapman sets that lives in my range box, they are definitely worth buying.

metricmonkeywrench
08-15-2019, 11:39 AM
One lesson on the Brownell's bit sets, make sure you keep a copy (or several where you can find them) of the original purchase receipt. I busted one of my "lifetime" bits trying to remove a stubborn screw from a mould. The set was purchased by a friend to get a break in the shipping years before. As we did not have the original receipt they would not even discuss "lifetime replacement". Apparently this was put in place by 'Corporate" a couple of years ago.

PTCSmith
08-15-2019, 11:43 AM
One lesson on the Brownell's bit sets, make sure you keep a copy (or several where you can find them) of the original purchase receipt. I busted one of my "lifetime" bits trying to remove a stubborn screw from a mould. The set was purchased by a friend to get a break in the shipping years before. As we did not have the original receipt they would not even discuss "lifetime replacement". Apparently this was put in place by 'Corporate" a couple of years ago.

I wait until I have an order to make and then call in the order rather than doing it on the internet. I tell the order taker that I need replacements for bits no. 210-2 and 240-3 or whatever, and they throw them in the order for free. Never any questions asked and they don't ask me to send in the broken bits. Now I admit that I get a dealer discount as a licensed gunsmith, but I can't see why they would treat me different from any other customer. I have replaced bits this way within the past few weeks, by the way.

country gent
08-15-2019, 11:50 AM
Ive used forester, brownels, chapmans and some others. I also keep some cheap ones on hand when I want to fit a screwdriver to a screw. ANother handy thing is a shank for the inserts with out a handle. This can convert a drill press into a screw jack helping to free stuck stubborn screws. I have an old flat belt drill press that spindle isn't spring loaded and small in size. but it works great for this. Clamp the part down align screw in slot put chuck in chuck hole and some down pressure. Turn and like this you can back out stuck frozen stubborn screws. This little old drill press has freed more screws than I care to think about.

Sometimes fitting the bit is the only option and to use a good top end screwdriver for a one time job and then grinding back is a lot of waste on the good driver. I modified one big hardware store driver for stock bolts putting 2 3/4" round bosses on the shank. this helps align the slot to get it in to the stock bolts much easier.

Clark
08-23-2019, 07:37 AM
I have so many screw driver bit sets, they are all over the place.

But for some apps I take a rusty old garage sale screwdriver and cut it to fit. Last week I was building a $45 hunting rifle. It is a 300 Sav Arisaka. The old take off scope is a 1992 Leupold vari x IIc 3x9x40 that I am calling $0 cost. But just to bore sight, the old coin based screwdriver is .085" x 0.5" with a 0.6" radius.

Blazenet
08-24-2019, 11:40 AM
Brownells sets are a little pricey, but worth it. Had a set for over 25 years with no issues

DrDucati
08-24-2019, 06:20 PM
Buy nice or buy twice. I like the Brownells.

dverna
08-24-2019, 10:48 PM
The best decision I ever made about gun accessories was buying the Brownell's set. I haven't used every bit in the set and it can take a few extra seconds to make sure that you pick a bit the fits exactly, but it is well worth the time and the money.

Agree. Not cheap but never an issue.

I have a Wheeler set I carry to the range for sight adjustment and emergencies.

Wolfer
08-25-2019, 01:21 AM
I have the B-Square set. I don’t care much for it and wouldn’t buy again.

Geezer in NH
09-01-2019, 10:09 PM
I have the Brownells sets regular and thin sets. In fact two of each they are over 20 years old with a few broken and replaced and some ground to fit and then the bit replaced.

Best purchase ever to work on old guns IMHO. Bits are cheap compared to getting original screws or making them.

Bazoo
09-01-2019, 10:57 PM
Next question, should I get the cheaper starter set of brownells bits to start, or the master set starter kit. Both have their draw when I'm looking at the book.

Dumb question, let's say you have a screw and need a bit not in your kit, how do you figure out which bit to buy?

Alan in Vermont
09-03-2019, 04:04 PM
Way back, think 1980s vintage, the handle in the B'nells set was made by K-D Tools. The tips themselves were high quality, industrial items, used in power screwdrivers for assembly line operations. IIRC, they were shorter than the stuff you get in the normal retail stores. I also have a Snap-On screwdriver set that also uses the high grade tips. The handle is less important than the tips. If you can find a Snap-On or Mac Tools truck they should have high quality tips. B'nells used to have a stone, I believe it fit a Dremel tool which was radiused right to grind the tips, parallel sided(hollow ground?) for whatever screw slot you need to fit. McMaster-Carr or MSC Industrial Supply (www.mscdirect.com/‎) should have tips that will work, I was able to find mine at a local vendor who supplied machine shops and manufacturers. If you're in an area that has any level of support vendors for industrial shops you should be able to get good tips from them.

nicholst55
09-03-2019, 09:10 PM
I also have a Snap-On screwdriver set that also uses the high grade tips. The handle is less important than the tips. If you can find a Snap-On or Mac Tools truck they should have high quality tips.

I worked for MATCO Tools for a few years, and generally liked the quality of their tools (at that time, anyway). The problem with Snap-On/MATCO/MAC, etc. screwdriver bits is that their selection is pretty limited. No thin slot bits, for example. Their prices are also quite high.

Bazoo
09-03-2019, 10:18 PM
I seen where SK was the supplier for brownells bit sets in the past.

Andy
09-24-2019, 09:18 PM
I would definitely just get the brownells set if you want to do things right. The gun shop I bought had about 50 nice Grace screwdrivers with it, many carefully ground by the previous owner to various sizes. I thought I was all set. I quickly found that wasn't near enough. I hemmed and hawed and bought the 2nd largest brownells set after working on a few guns. That covered 70% of everything I wished I had for the next year. Then I bit the bullet and bought every hex head driver Brownells offers on their site (you can make up sets piecemeal if you sort through their offerings carefully). That bumped me up to having the perfect fitting screwdriver at least 95% of the time. Maybe a total of $200 or so spent by that point.

To fill in the last 5% I have a bunch of grace flat ground drivers (they are good for the tiny sizes especially) and buy medium/large flatheads cheap at garage sales to grind to fit the bigger oddball sizes.

If I was only working on my own rifles I would still buy the $80-100 brownells flathead/allen/torx set and fill in the gaps with garage sale modifications or brownells specialty sets based on what I needed for my particular guns at the time.

You'll have various guns the rest of your life, I think it is a great investment to start with a good set of drivers. If you sell a gun and the screws are messed up the guy seeing it will price you less right off the bat and also worry you messed up stuff inside, so this pays for itself over time in my opinion. It also helps keep you from causing expensive scratches/slips & scratching finishes, some of which make it pay for itself in one or two saves.

When you break a brownells bit they will replace it free, just buy online and you'll always have a record of what you bought. If you don't want the hassle of asking for a replacement they are only $2-3 or so on your next order and the only time you'll probably break one is when something is really stuck or developing twist with the really thin/small bits. This way you can keep your good, organized set up and running without gaps when you lose or break one.

W.R.Buchanan
09-27-2019, 02:53 PM
Bazoo: I have had the Brownell's set for many years. I just recently bought 4 more bits that are made specifically for Browning A5 Screws which have very thin slots.

It should be noted that all of the Brownell's Driver Bits are the standard "Apex" style of bit with a 1/4" hex drive just like deck screw drivers and a zillion others you can buy at Harbor Freight or in every driver kit known to man. I have a plastic container full of various bits and drivers I use on lots of different things in my shop.

I don't use any of them on my guns! And I don't use my gun screwdrivers on anything but guns.

The cheap ones are for working on my Jeep or other machinery or used when I assemble things with lots of screws using drill motor that will break them off easily. I have literally hundreds of Phillips #2 bits and go thru lots of them on a big job . I recently assembled 10 Storage Cabinets which had @350+ screws holding the panels on. I broke about 10 of the Phips bits. Total cost $10.

The thing about the Brownell's set is that the bits themselves are a cut above most of the .99 cent generic bits sold in hardware stores and big box stores. Also their driver handles are very nice and good quality tools just cost a little more.

You could get the Brownell's Starter Set for $70 and then add bits as needed. Or just "bite the boolit" as they say,,, and spend $120 on the full set and be done with it. Keep in mind these tools will last a lifetime and can be passed down or sold here easily if you need to get out.

These tools will minimize the gooning of screws on guns which will pay for the tools in short order.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-sets/magna-tip-super-sets--prod417.aspx

Hope this helps you make up your mind.

Randy

Bazoo
09-27-2019, 05:04 PM
I've requested the brownells set for Christmas, we'll see. The cheap gunsmith sets I have work well enough for my occasional use but I want something with a better assortment and quality. I've not had any problems with twisting or breaking or rounding screw slot out but I dont work on guns for a living. I recognize what I have will not last nor hold up to heavier usage.

Thanks for all the replies.

I asked the gunsmith about it today and he prefers the chapman bits. He said they hold up better than brownells. We didn't get further into it though.

Green Frog
09-30-2019, 09:09 AM
I've requested the brownells set for Christmas, we'll see. The cheap gunsmith sets I have work well enough for my occasional use but I want something with a better assortment and quality. I've not had any problems with twisting or breaking or rounding screw slot out but I song work on guns for a living. I recognize what I have will not last nor hold up to heavier usage.

Thanks for all the replies.

I asked the gunsmith about it today and he prefers the chapman bits. He said they hold up better than brownells. We didn't get further into it though.

My experience with Chapman bits is just the opposite... I've broken more of them than of the Brownell bits I've used. Also, the selection of Chapman bit sizes and thicknesses is much more limited. I regard mine as fine for carrying into the field or to the range, but not as my "final answer" to gunsmith screwdrivers.

Froggie

Bazoo
09-30-2019, 04:33 PM
Thanks Froggie. I was surprised at his answer but I certainly think I'll be better served with the brownells bits. If I can get a chapman set in addition, I won't complain.

alamogunr
09-30-2019, 05:01 PM
I bought a Chapman set in a yellow box and keep it in my range bag. I will probably never lean on it since, at the range, I don't have anything to restrain whatever I am working on. That keeps me from breaking any bits in that set. You learn in a hurry that it smarts if a driver slips while you are trying to hold an object in your hand.

EMC45
09-30-2019, 05:38 PM
I have a wheeler set. Definitely not the best or the worst but decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too have this set and they suffice. I know for a fact they are not as hard as Brownells "Magna Tip" bits.

forwardgunner
10-05-2019, 08:34 AM
Midway's set of Wheeler is on sale now.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007363134?pid=439523
I haven't encountered anything these don't fit.

Green Frog
10-08-2019, 04:24 PM
I bought a Chapman set in a yellow box and keep it in my range bag. I will probably never lean on it since, at the range, I don't have anything to restrain whatever I am working on. That keeps me from breaking any bits in that set. You learn in a hurry that it smarts if a driver slips while you are trying to hold an object in your hand.

My most used Chapman sets are in the old red leatherette boxes. I’ve been laying off to buy one of the new Master Set boxes Chapman sells now as I also have lots of their odd specialty bits.

I also have the biggest set Wheeler makes... they sent it to me for testing and review purposes. As I said in my evaluation, I tried using it exclusively for a couple of busy weeks (matches, event prep, repairs, etc, etc) and in all that time I only had one task they wouldn’t cover, a deeply recessed Allen screw on which I had to use a regular L-shaped wrench. The bits are a little stronger than those in the. Chapman sets, but are not quite as strong as those from Brownell.

This is my personal experience, so of course, YMMV! ;)

Froggie

Bazoo
10-08-2019, 04:58 PM
The bits in the red chapman box is what the gunsmith showed me that he likes.

Green Frog
10-08-2019, 07:35 PM
Bazoo, the old red box Chapman set sort of was the go-to standard for packing to the range. Unfortunately, they did have limited sizes and they were just a little brittle at times, but as a good utility set on the go, they were and are quite useful. I can't see any difference in quality in the parts coming in the current yellow box, it's just that I'm old school so gravitate toward the older, discontinued stuff. It's probably a character flaw of some sort.

As I mentioned previously, Chapman has now come out with a "Master Set" that has every bit they make in one box. It really doesn't have that many more flat blade bit sizes, but it covers all the weird new screw heads that the mad scientists are coming up with these days. I'm trying to justify buying one.

Froggie

catmandu
10-10-2019, 12:50 PM
I have a bit set that I use every week, been using it for 20 years. Its a red box WFMC or Wadsworth mini super delux 52 bit set.
Its my goto set before I look for a special fit. Very good quality. I see they are in amazon.

Paul in WNY

GregLaROCHE
10-10-2019, 01:20 PM
I bought that Winchester set. Paid more than that as I remember. I was expecting better. It seems to me they just took a regular set and put their name on it. I would prefer some thin but wider bits for some of my needs.

Buzz Krumhunger
10-10-2019, 01:29 PM
The Winchester set I bought at Walmart was, predictably, made in China. Just like the “Winchester” knives they sell.

I guess they’re ok, but I can’t believe Winchester cheapens their brand name by licensing the Chinese to label their junk with it. Anything for a buck, I guess.

Forty Rod Ray
10-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Grace Metal and Chapman in the little red box...since 1962..

Bazoo
10-22-2019, 10:36 PM
Well, momma bought me a brownells super set starter for my birthday. Real nice. Fits my screws great.

reivertom
10-22-2019, 11:10 PM
My Wheeler set and my Fat Wrench do anything I need to do on a gun, except make me shoot better. Not too expensive, but saves a bunch of boogered screw heads.

alamogunr
01-20-2020, 06:10 PM
Kind of a resurrection here. I just got an email from Brownell's announcing a sale on gunsmith's tools. Pretty good discount on screwdriver bit sets. Thought some might be interested.

Bazoo
01-20-2020, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up alamogunr.