PDA

View Full Version : Some results from testing

Bookworm
08-11-2019, 06:18 AM
I sent some alloy samples off to get tested. I received a few of the results, and I'm pleased.

First, I used the alloy calculator devised by one of the members here to mix up some of what should have been Lyman #2. I used CWW, SWW, Linotype purchased from the classified here, and some pewter found in the wild.

Aiming for - 90% Pb, 5% Sb, 5% Sn.
Resulting mix - 90% Pb, 5.2% Sb, 4.8% Sn.

Dang close, I'd say.

Second, when I found a pile of plumbing lead at the scrap yard, I purchased all of it. I don't remember how much, 250 pounds or so.
https://i.imgur.com/JHUIss5.jpg

Before rendering it down, I trimmed all the joints close, to try and save the tin from being diluted to nothing. I rendered all the joints separately, but didn't know what I had. I just marked it TRPL (Tin Rich Plumbing Lead), and set it aside.

Aiming for - unknown, just want the tin.
Result mix - 95% Pb, 5% Sn

Well, whadya know !
5% tin ! I made 20-1 (19-1 actually) without even knowing it ! I've got about 35 pounds of it too !

Very pleased with the results so far. More coming in a few days....

Wheelguns 1961
08-11-2019, 06:37 AM
Great job! You gotta love it when a plan comes together

Dusty Bannister
08-11-2019, 09:09 AM
Instead of trimming off the solder joints, I try to use a propane torch to melt off the solder and leave the pipe with a light tinned covering. That will give you about 30% tin solder. Of course, it all depends upon what the plumber used at the time. It all depends upon what you have time to do, and if you have a need for the lead/tin alloy.

To be economical, I purchased a propane torch that I adapted to work with the large propane tanks. This lets me use the remaining fuel in the white cylinder when there is not enough to heat a pot of lead.

lightman
08-11-2019, 09:15 AM
It sounds like your plan is working out well for you. A few years ago I scored 700-800# of cable sheathing. I also already had a few hundred pounds of cable splice covers. I melted it all together and ended up with something in the 98% lead range. The splice covers had a lot of soldered seams and I started cutting them out but quickly decided that it was more work than I wanted. I used an air chisel. I guess I should have taken the time?

Bookworm
08-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Well, I figure I can use the 20-1 for something.

I may find a BPCR shooter that needs some, and trade it off for something.

I may just use it to sweeten a pot of casting alloy. Or, I may just let it sit for awhile until I need it.

The point is, now I know what it is. Instead of TRPL, an unknown with some Sn in it, I have 5% Sn. It's more valuable as a known.

JBinMN
08-11-2019, 11:12 AM
Nice!
:)

Glad to hear that things worked out well for you, and to top it off, without much effort.

I have about 4-500 pounds of lead and part of it includes pipe, as well as sheet lead & I am hoping to have as good of results doing something similar, including what Dusty Bannister mentioned.

The heat of the Summer & storms in between set me back on getting mine done, but as the cooler temps with less humidity move in, I hope to get mine all done before October.

Thanks for sharing your successful experience. Motivating, for me anyway!

ole_270
08-11-2019, 11:06 PM
Been picking up range scrap at a local range, got about 500 lbs melted and cast into ingots. Awhile back I ran into a pocket of cast boolets in the berm, swc pistol ammo of 38, 44 and 45 cal, and quite a bit of 500 gr 45-70. I got to thinking, maybe this was commercial cast and the alloy would be pretty heavy on tin and antimony. Sent BNE a sample of the cast rich alloy as well as the more general run of jacketed auto stuff. They came back just a couple points different on Sn and Sb. Guess whoever was shooting them was digging the same berm as I was. 3 samples so far since early spring have been .2-.3Sn, and 1.4-1.6 Sb. Guess I'll just add a little tin and call it good for 45 acp, 25-20 WCF and 38-55 use since I don't push any of them too hard. I've got about 75 lbs of linotype I can mix if I want more alloy for hard running 308 loads

GOPHER SLAYER
08-16-2019, 02:59 PM
The lead in the picture looks like telephone cable sheathing to me. My father was a plumber and I never saw him use anything like that lead you bought. If it is as I said, it is very soft and almost pure lead.