PDA

View Full Version : Haven't smelted for awhile,

madcaster
10-30-2008, 10:31 PM
and today was pretty nice for the occassion,so I got out a turkey cooker burner,a Lodge Dutch oven that I had bought new a few years back and never used.
Figured it was time to put it to use!
Yesterday I had had 2 of the 20 pound propane tanks filled,$37.50 I think,figured I was going to get my money's worth on it as well.
So as the pot was lit and getting warmed up,I filled it with wheelweights,it took almost half the 5 gallon bucket of ww's to do so.
It didn't take so long to melt the whole batch neither,as it was cranked wide open on the valve.
Now,if Creeker will just let me borrow an ingot mould or two!:kidding:

ktw
10-30-2008, 11:27 PM
It didn't take so long to melt the whole batch neither,as it was cranked wide open on the valve.
Now,if Creeker will just let me borrow an ingot mould or two!:kidding:

You might want to turn off the burner till you hear back from him. I doubt your two propane tanks are going to last that long. :kidding:

-ktw

copdills
10-31-2008, 04:36 AM
sounds like a plan , hope you get those ingot molds soon LOL , good luck with tthe smelting I may try to do some today myself

xr650
10-31-2008, 10:07 AM
One fifty pound ingot at a time when the gas runs out and the melt solidifies in the pot. [smilie=1:

I rendered 110 lbs of stick ons and 500+ of clip ons saturday. It was a day. I even had ingot moulds.

madcaster
10-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Evidently Creeker has not read this yet![smilie=1::coffee:

mazo kid
11-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Jeff, you're lucky to have gotten your smelting done. Two days ago it was in the 70s here, today the bottom dropped out and it was snowing like crazy for awhile. My smelting stuff is down in the garage and after I got the snowblower running I was too cold to do anything else.

madcaster
11-07-2008, 09:28 PM
I did more today,rest of the 5 gallon bucket.I also noticed the capacity of the Dutch Oven,12 quarts...