PDA

View Full Version : Saving money on car insurance

nvbirdman
08-10-2019, 12:51 AM
Sorry, this is just for us older guys.
We may not like AARP, but they periodically offer driving courses and they say taking it may lower your insurance.
I signed up and paid fifteen dollars for the class. When I got there I found out it would be a four hour class. Oh well, I'm retired, not like I had anything else to do that day. I felt like I was in a high school drivers education class but back then the girls were younger and prettier.
After the class we were given a paper to send to our ins. co.
I called my ins. co. to ask if I should send it now or wait till just before the ins. is due. The guy I talked to just had me read the serial number off the paper I had been given and told me I was all set.
Now the really good news, for the next three years I will be getting a discount of ninety two dollars each year. Fifteen dollars and four hours of my time, I think it was worth it.

DocSavage
08-10-2019, 07:56 AM
Thru the insurance company I use I get a run down of all the discounts over 65,multi car,safe driving record and a whole list of other things comes out to $2k a year if I'm reading it correctly.

MrWolf
08-10-2019, 09:36 AM
I use Geico and they offered driver safety courses for about $20 online. I think it depends on the state you live in whether online is allowed or not.

NyFirefighter357
08-10-2019, 10:19 AM
https://www.idrivesafely.com/

bedbugbilly
08-11-2019, 08:39 AM
I won't go in to the possible political disagreements with the company, but regardless, I have been a member for a number of years. I'm from a small town and have always believed in supporting our local businesses - even the the insurance peddlers. I have had to have a number of both personal as well as commercial policies but over the years, began to get sick of the attitude of the "insurance peddlers" who, let's face it, work for themselves and the companies they represent. Like everyone else, my premiums only one tin one direction - up. After my wife and I retired, I decided to get a quote through AARP for what they had set upper insurance for members. We are down to one car now as I no longer drive and I'm sure it would vary from state to state, but I was very pleasantly surprised when I got quotations on our auto insurance and our homeowners. I ended up changing both policies to their plan - covered by Hartford. Our auto insurance is a one time a year premium - about half of what we were getting nailed through a local insurance peddler.
the homeowner's policy was about 60% of what we were paying through the same local insurance peddler. Coverages the same.

Regardless of your "thoughts" on things, it costs nothing to get a quote and if you don't like the way it comes back, there are other places to get quotes from as well. In the last 55 years, I have had to deal with insurance companies on claims - both auto and homeowners as well as commercial - and one has to realize that dealing with ANY insurance company with a loss is a PIA. Everyone's "insurance history" is going to affect their rates, but like I said, getting a quote is free and the time you spend on doing it can pay off.

Rick Hodges
08-11-2019, 08:47 AM
I find that every 5 years of so I have to shop around...get a good deal on the same coverage and switch. Each year there seems to be "rate creep".
So after 5 or so years I start the process again.